• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why are India ignoring Sehwag for test matches ?

jeevan

International 12th Man
based on current form, sehwag doesn't deserve to play test cricket far less go on the most difficult tour in cricket i.e, tour australia...not saying that there are a lot of happy alternatives but it would be better to blood young talent rather than go back to him unless he shows a significant improvement in form and fitness...
Jaffer, Karthik, Chopra are happy alternatives for mine. If 2 of 3 fail, then Dravid is a good fall back and Laxman is a good #3 in that case.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Blooding young talent is a ridiculous premise. You play the guy that gives you the best chance to win. I agree that this is not Sehwag, but still. You don't play young guys for the sake of playing them.
no there is nothing inherently wrong or ridiculous about the premise...and where did i say that they should play youngsters just for the sake of playing them? of course you should always field your best possible 11 and india's current best eleven clearly doesn't include sehwag...if there is a relatively open position in the lineup, it would be much better to field youngsters who have been performing well in domestic cricket and whatever international exposure they've had rather than go back to someone who might have performed a few years back but is now not good enough....it's part of building the team for the future...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jaffer, Karthik, Chopra are happy alternatives for mine. If 2 of 3 fail, then Dravid is a good fall back and Laxman is a good #3 in that case.
on current form, jaffer is established as one opener, karthik and chopra aren't exactly locks for the position based on form, dravid opening is an experiment that has failed before, it might be an even bigger mistake to try that when he is in some uncertain form right now...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sehwag's best knock isn't actuall his 195 vs Aus on Boxing Day (though its probably his 'coolest') but actually his 155 vs Aus in India.

Was a brilliant knock.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
no there is nothing inherently wrong or ridiculous about the premise...
Sure there is - if there is a person in your XI that does not give you the best chance to win, it is both wrong and ridiculous.

of course you should always field your best possible 11 and india's current best eleven clearly doesn't include sehwag...
Agreed.

if there is a relatively open position in the lineup, it would be much better to field youngsters who have been performing well in domestic cricket and whatever international exposure they've had rather than go back to someone who might have performed a few years back but is now not good enough....it's part of building the team for the future...
This I disagree with the most part - you pick the guy thats playing the best. Regardless of his age. Unless of course he has been given a extended run and is doing well without proving he has fixed his weaknesses (e.g, like Zaheer proved when he went in foreign conditions and did well in England).

jeevan

International 12th Man
on current form, jaffer is established as one opener, karthik and chopra aren't exactly locks for the position based on form, dravid opening is an experiment that has failed before, it might be an even bigger mistake to try that when he is in some uncertain form right now...
On current form, Sehwag is not a solution to any thing. Not even to open batting for Delhi in the Ranji. Since that's the only cricket he's playing in the same team as Chopra, Gambhir - hard to overlook that. If 3-4innings dont matter, then might as well apply the same logic to Karthik (who we know is a good partner to Jaffer).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag's best knock isn't actuall his 195 vs Aus on Boxing Day (though its probably his 'coolest') but actually his 155 vs Aus in India.

Was a brilliant knock.
Haha, undoubtedly, not only a chanceless innings (I'm pretty sure?) but against McGrath, Gillespie, Kasprowicz and Warne, rather than Bracken, Williams, Lee and MacGill.

Though I hope I've not given you a heart-attack by mentioning Williams at the same time as putting-down that MCG knock again. :dry:

Craig

World Traveller
Haha, undoubtedly, not only a chanceless innings (I'm pretty sure?) but against McGrath, Gillespie, Kasprowicz and Warne, rather than Bracken, Williams, Lee and MacGill.

Though I hope I've not given you a heart-attack by mentioning Williams at the same time as putting-down that MCG knock again. :dry:
Especially at the time when Lee was a crap Test bowler.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Because Indian selectors led by Shri Dilip Vengsarkar are a bunch of nincompoops.

Vengsarkar is highly opinionated and, having taken a particular stance, will go to great lengths to prove that his thinking is correct. Team India be damned.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Because Indian selectors led by Shri Dilip Vengsarkar are a bunch of nincompoops.

Vengsarkar is highly opinionated and, having taken a particular stance, will go to great lengths to prove that his thinking is correct. Team India be damned.
To be honest, the selectorial committee in India seem to be clueless.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You Indian supporters are hard task markers. You should be happy that so many players are in form.

Pesimistic bunch you lot.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sure there is - if there is a person in your XI that does not give you the best chance to win, it is both wrong and ridiculous.
and why are we even discussing that scenario? once again, when did i talk about taking someone just because he is young?

This I disagree with the most part - you pick the guy thats playing the best. Regardless of his age. Unless of course he has been given a extended run and is doing well without proving he has fixed his weaknesses (e.g, like Zaheer proved when he went in foreign conditions and did well in England).
i am talking about a situation where there is no "best" option for that position, in this instance a fellow opener for jaffer and the fact that some people were suggesting taking sehwag for that spot based on what he did against australia a while back...even if the selectors try to look outside of karthik, gambhir et al, going back to an out-of-form, unfit sehwag isn't the answer, that's all i am saying...

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member

tell me what he has done in tests for quite some time now after being given umpteen opportunites to come back into form...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
You'd think with Ganguly's ressurgence as a cricket player (let alone a batsman), they'd give Sehwag another run.
two different individuals...based on what can one's case be applied to the other? if sehwag improves his form and fitness in domestic cricket, he should be considered, not before...

burr

State Vice-Captain
I love it how Ian Chappell chips in with his useless opinion, stating the Australians would 'fear' him because of the last tour. I don't believe they'd 'fear' anyone but certainly not Sehwag and certainly not because of one rather streaky, if brilliant, 195. Not to mention the fact it was four years ago and he's been out of form and fitness for a while. Yet on the basis of that innings Chappell says pick him? Just stay out of it old man.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I love it how Ian Chappell chips in with his useless opinion, stating the Australians would 'fear' him because of the last tour. I don't believe they'd 'fear' anyone but certainly not Sehwag and certainly not because of one rather streaky, if brilliant, 195. Not to mention the fact it was four years ago and he's been out of form and fitness for a while. Yet on the basis of that innings Chappell says pick him? Just stay out of it old man.
Well said. He said similar things about Harmison too. If Sehwag does improve, by all means select him, but Gambhir and Kathik should be ahead of him at this moment.

Also, would you consider Ian Chappell the Phil Gould of cricket?