• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your top ten ONE-DAY INTERNATIONAL batsmen of all-time

Days of Grace

International Captain
Same rules as before.

One list per person. Not just players you have seen (unless you generally believe they are the ten best of alltime, and since its ODIs it would be more feasible this time).

Happy listing.

1. Tendulkar (don't care what you say about Viv. Tendy has all the records now. Over 40 centuries FFS).

2. Richards (to have a s/r of over 90 in those days was amazing. And an average of 47 whilst striking above 90 even more amazing).

3. Bevan (the best finisher and pressure player the 50-over game will ever likely see).

4. Ponting (might break Tendulkar's records one day - runs scored, not neccessarily centuries scored)

5. Gilchrist (revolutionized the use of keepers in ODIs, and a phenomenal strike-rate).

6. Zaheer Abbas (see Richards).

7. Lara (averaged 40 and I think we didn't see his full potential in the ODI game. Could have been up there with Tendulkar but didn't have the support from teammates and thus nearly always came in in pressure situations. Couldn't understand him batting at 6 in the later part of his career but never mind)

8. Saeed Anwar

9. Jayasuriya

10. Ganguly (don't care what you say. Look at his record).

Athlai

Not Terrible
Tendulkar
Jayasuriya
Richards
Ponting
CL Cairns
Gilchrist
Lara
Crowe
Gayle
Symonds

In order

Richards
Tendulkar
Ponting
Cairns
Lara
Jayasuriya
Symonds
Gayle
Gilchrist
Crowe

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
Same rules as before.

One list per person. Not just players you have seen (unless you generally believe they are the ten best of alltime, and since its ODIs it would be more feasible this time).

Happy listing.

1. Tendulkar (don't care what you say about Viv. Tendy has all the records now. Over 40 centuries FFS).

2. Richards (to have a s/r of over 90 in those days was amazing. And an average of 47 whilst striking above 90 even more amazing).

3. Bevan (the best finisher and pressure player the 50-over game will ever likely see).

4. Ponting (might break Tendulkar's records one day - runs scored, not neccessarily centuries scored)

5. Gilchrist (revolutionized the use of keepers in ODIs, and a phenomenal strike-rate).

6. Zaheer Abbas (see Richards).

7. Lara (averaged 40 and I think we didn't see his full potential in the ODI game. Could have been up there with Tendulkar but didn't have the support from teammates and thus nearly always came in in pressure situations. Couldn't understand him batting at 6 in the later part of his career but never mind)

8. Saeed Anwar

9. Jayasuriya

10. Ganguly (don't care what you say. Look at his record).
Jayasuriya needs to be about 3 or 4 places higher on that list imo. Inzi should be there somewhere too

Athlai

Not Terrible
haha, Cairns and Crowe in there. Good man but where's Astle?
Cairns and Crowe.

They both made me love cricket, Cairns in particular was instrumental, I always loved to watch him bat. The greatest six hitter I've ever seen too.

Fiery

Banned
Cairns and Crowe.

They both made me love cricket, Cairns in particular was instrumental, I always loved to watch him bat. The greatest six hitter I've ever seen too.
On ya. I feel the same way about Paddles and Chris's dad tbh

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Viv Richards
2 Sachin Tendulkar
3 Michael Bevan
4 Dean Jones
5 Ricky Ponting
6 Saeed Anwar
7 Andrew Symonds
8 Lance Klusener
9 Adam Gilchrist
10 Mark Waugh

* Jayasuriya unlucky.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The two that came so close.
Yeah as much as Bevan annoyed me, he was a great batsmen and should make all top 10 sides really.

I will tell you though that Chris Cairns played the best ever one day innings i've seen live though. 102 or so against South Africa at the GABBA..

Fiery

Banned
1 Viv Richards
2 Sanath Jayasuriya
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Adam Gilchrist
5 Inzamam-Ul-Haq
6 Brian Lara
7 Sachin Tendulkar
8 Lance Klusener
9 Michael Bevan
10 Mark Waugh

Best NZ team:

1 M Crowe
2 G Turner
3 N Astle
4 S Fleming
5 C Cairns
6 R Twose
7 A Jones
8 C McMillan
9 C Harris
10 M Greatbatch

John R Reid would have been the best if he wasn't born in the wrong time.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Tendulkar
Jayasuriya
Richards
Ponting
CL Cairns
Gilchrist
Lara
Crowe
Gayle