• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your top ten ONE-DAY INTERNATIONAL batsmen of all-time

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
1. Richards
2. Tendulkar
3. Bevan
4. Jayasuriya
5. Abbas
6. Inzi
7. M. Waugh
8. Gilchrist
9. Ponting
10. Lara

Surprised at the lack of love for Inzi on the majority of lists tbh.
Bottom half of my list was a toss-up between a few players TBH. Inzi I rate also. Unlucky, this time, I guess.

allout

Cricket Spectator
hmmmm

My players wil be

1. Brain Lara
  2. Mark Waugh
  3. Viv Richards
  4. Zaheer Abbas
  5. Ricky Ponting
  6. Saeed Anwar
  7. Micheal Bevan
  8. Inzamam ul Haq
  9. Sachin Tendulkar
  10. Sanath Jayasuriya

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised at the lack of love for Inzi on the majority of lists tbh.
Not from me dear. Look who is at No. 10 in the list above yours :) Btw the real surprise is that not many people have put Haynes and Greenidge in their list who IMO are two of the best ever ODI batsmen.

1. Viv Richards
  2. Michael Bevan
  3. Sachin Tendulkar
  4. Inzamam-ul-Haq
  5. Ricky Ponting
  6. Brian Lara
  7. Zaheer Abbas
  8. Mark Waugh
  9. Saeed Anwar
  10. Lance Klusener

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You realize that your #3 averages ten less (34 to 44), has slightly more than one third the centuries (15 to 41) and only has an S/R of only 10 more than the #4 despite batting in the same position?
  1. Richards
  2. Tendulkar
  3. Bevan
  4. Dean Jones
  5. Ponting
  6. Inzy
  7. Lara
  8. Jayasurya
  9. Waugh
  10. Abbas
Is also one of the best performers (if not the best performer) for Australia in the last 2 World Cups he's played. Australia having won 3 WCs with his help (understatement), I think he deserves a mention.

I think out of both of us your list needs more questioning than mine. 4 Aussies in your in your ODI and Gilchrist isn't one of them? Is this your stats side showing or...? I really don't see any of your bottom 5 having a real strong case against Gilchrist. With your own argument Mark Waugh is only 3 better on average but is 20 runs slower too.

Anyway, my main decision of Gilchrist > Tendulkar is performance when it matters. Whenever it was a do or die game, a final, something alike, Gilchrist performed and was immense.

And if it came down to 8 runs and 10 balls to score them (difference between Adam's and Sachin's avg. and SR) then I know who I'm going for.

P.S. it's more like 36 to 44 (8 less).

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sachin's just better than Gilly in ODIs, I really fail to see how anyone can argue otherwise. Even if the question was "who is the better WC batsman?" Sachin would win.

If you want to count three World Cup finals of Gilly, compared to one final where IMO there has never been more pressure on a man in a ODI in my time watching cricket, then that's your opinion. Gilly's the better WC final batsman, but that's seriously not even close to enough to make Gilly the better overall batsman.

Plus Australia were never losing once chasing such a small total in 1999, let's get serious.

sideshowtim

Banned
My players wil be

1. Brain Lara
  2. Mark Waugh
  3. Viv Richards
  4. Zaheer Abbas
  5. Ricky Ponting
  6. Saeed Anwar
  7. Micheal Bevan
  8. Inzamam ul Haq
  9. Sachin Tendulkar
  10. Sanath Jayasuriya
Never rated Lara tremendously as an ODI player TBH...I don't think he deserves to bet at #1 on any of these lists anyway.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And if it came down to 8 runs and 10 balls to score them (difference between Adam's and Sachin's avg. and SR) then I know who I'm going for
By this definition, Afridi is the greatest ODI player of all time. 15 higher S/R than Gilchrist and 10 lower average.

funnygirl

State Regular
Richards
Tendulkar
Ponting
Gilchrist
M Crowe
M Bevan
S Anwar
Dean Jones
M Waugh
Sanath Jayasurya

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin's just better than Gilly in ODIs, I really fail to see how anyone can argue otherwise. Even if the question was "who is the better WC batsman?" Sachin would win.

If you want to count three World Cup finals of Gilly, compared to one final where IMO there has never been more pressure on a man in a ODI in my time watching cricket, then that's your opinion. Gilly's the better WC final batsman, but that's seriously not even close to enough to make Gilly the better overall batsman.

Plus Australia were never losing once chasing such a small total in 1999, let's get serious.
Actually, 1999 is Gilchrist's worse performance in WCs. And, no, overall, if I were picking a batsman and going into a WC I'd take Gilchrist. Sachin's forte is in the group stages. Beyond that he's not that special. But yeah, doing what Gilchrist has done in 3 finals in a row...it's more than just statistic. And pressure is there for all. I've stopped buying just how Indian cricketers have so so so much pressure and no one else does. I agree, their fans are unreasonable and place a lot of pressure on them. But so do other countries, and that seems not to be respected at all.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
But you need to do well in the group stages to go to the semifinals ;)

In WC All Finals, its not that dig of a difference :-

http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=...1;.cgifields=cplayerid;.cgifields=comparetype
True, but WC group stages have become a bit of a joke...so I hope it's clear what I am talking about.

So Gilchrist has done more than Tendulkar in finals? Despite not playing a side like Kenya in the semis, as Tendulkar has? If we take into account that, Tendulkar's finals performances look pretty dire for someone of his stature.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And pressure is there for all. I've stopped buying just how Indian cricketers have so so so much pressure and no one else does. I agree, their fans are unreasonable and place a lot of pressure on them. But so do other countries, and that seems not to be respected at all.
I couldn't care less about Indian players and pressure. I don't think Zaheer or Harbhajan have any significant pressure on them that is worth mentioning.

But surely you must admit Sachin, at least back 4 years ago, was under more pressure than any other player in cricket. The words from Ian Chappell (hence not talking unrealistic expectations from Indian fans) at the innings break of the 2003 WC Final after Australia had piled on 359/2 (unheard of 4 years ago, let alone chaseable) were something like this:

"Well as long as Sachin is there India are in with a shout"

Honestly, what the hell? Game was over after the first over going by that then.

I have no doubt in my mind that Sachin cracked in that final. But at that time, chasing 350+ was almost impossible, and it was believed that if India were to chase it down they'd have to go at 6.5-7.5 an over from the very start. Now we see, with the way ODIs are heading, you can chase 350+ by simply having wickets in hand at the end. That fact wasn't realised 4 years ago.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Or two of the slowest.
Cant blame them for that. That's how ODI cricket was played those days. The point was that they were highly successful and their teams won a lot and their batting was one of the main reasons behind it.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
True, but WC group stages have become a bit of a joke...so I hope it's clear what I am talking about.

So Gilchrist has done more than Tendulkar in finals? Despite not playing a side like Kenya in the semis, as Tendulkar has? If we take into account that, Tendulkar's finals performances look pretty dire for someone of his stature.
Not talking about the group stages, these are finals, Quarter Finals and Semi Finals.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Only in the World Cup finals, that is probably because he has played more, Tendulkar has played only one, sure he cant be faulted for that. In Grand Finals :-

http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=...1;.cgifields=cplayerid;.cgifields=comparetype

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I couldn't care less about Indian players and pressure. I don't think Zaheer or Harbhajan have any significant pressure on them that is worth mentioning.

The words from Ian Chappell (hence not talking unrealistic expectations from Indian fans) at the innings break of the 2003 WC Final after Australia had piled on 359/2 (unheard of 4 years ago, let alone chaseable) were something like this:

"Well as long as Sachin is there India are in with a shout"

Honestly, what the hell? Game was over after the first over going by that then.

I have no doubt in my mind that Sachin cracked in that final. But at that time, chasing 350+ was almost impossible, and it was believed that if India were to chase it down they'd have to go at 6.5-7.5 an over from the very start. Now we see, with the way ODIs are heading, you can chase 350+ by simply having wickets in hand at the end. That fact wasn't realised 4 years ago.
And why was it impossible? Why did Sehwag do so well? Did someone named Gilchrist play a part in that? How about the Sri Lankans? Pretty sure they could have done without being whacked, 149 runs at SR of 143? Is that just not amazing?

It's all great that you guys rate Tendulkar better, I just ever so slightly don't. Being Australian, these wins and these performances mean more to me than they probably would disregarding that fact. But it's still huge, and it's something to take into account that Gilchrist does so well in finals, and in the grand final averages 87 at a SR of what, 140?

To me the run average is slightly better for Tendulkar, SR is slightly better for Gilchrist but this factor makes the difference more apparent.

Last edited: