Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best & Worst Declarations

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

Best & Worst Declarations

You know, I don't recall declarations ever having been discussed in any depth on CW in the 3 years+ I've been a resident. Seems remiss of us so this is my attempt to redress the balance.

Can you think of a good declaration that forced a positive result (for the team who declared) where one might not have been possible otherwise or alternately can you think of an absurdly generous closure that had the opposite outcome?

This would get my vote for the latter: http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/19...19MAR1968.html

Which captains have handled them well and who's been too cautious?

All opinions welcome ('cept Richard's, obv... ).
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    The Declaration of Independence was quite poorly handled in my opinion.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Captain
    Kim Hughes at Headingley in 1981.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    All opinions welcome ('cept Richard's, obv... ).

The Sobers one obviously surely has to be at or near the top, but another one I'd like to mention was Shaun Pollock's in Bridgetown in 2001 - CBA to link to the card as I'm in a rush, but he seemed to think there was absolutely no chance of getting a result, yet after he finally declared - 20 or 30 overs after he could have, with a massive first-innings lead - WI collapsed and almost lost even in the little time there was left (saved partly by some unsportsmanlike behaviour). Had he declared earlier and the same thing happened, it'd have been a certain victory.

One I hope is NEVER called a bad declaration is Gilchrist at Headingley in 2001.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Thought Flemings declaring behind and Waugh's subsequent declaration in this match were great.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    One I hope is NEVER called a bad declaration is Gilchrist at Headingley in 2001.
    Yeah, quite agree. With the benefit of hindsight it looks a wee bit generous, but at the time it just looked like Oz closing in for the kill. 315 (IIRC, at work & CBA to check) on a 5th day pitch was a very stiff ask and it took the innings of his life from Butch to get us there. I suspect that had the series been in the balance Gilly would have batted on longer.

One decision that I've thought of that was possibly the right one for the match situtation, but extremely bad man-management, was Atherton's decision to pull the plug with Hick on 98*. It was one of our tours to Oz, 94/5 (? again from memory) The big fella always seemed more of a carrot than a stick sort of a player, so for his captain to do that to him was rather short-sighted.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    How do you guys fit all this stuff in your brains? I seriously can only vaguely name several recent declarations by England captains, let alone analyse in detail those that happened years and years ago, and not all of them in particularly famous matches anyway.

Hats off to you all for having far better memories than me. Unless being in France is just destroying my ability to talk about cricket...I choose to blame that. If in doubt, blame the French.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    One bad one was by Dravid in Pakistan 2003/4 when he left Sachin on 194*.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    How do you guys fit all this stuff in your brains?
    It's a form of sickness, tbh.

Have a mind that hoovers up random, unrelated factoids. Can also name the score of every FA Cup final since 1970. Sad, but true..

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    It's a form of sickness, tbh.

Have a mind that hoovers up random, unrelated factoids. Can also name the score of every FA Cup final since 1970. Sad, but true..
    Haha, that's impressive. I thought I had a good mind for stats. Well, I do have a good mind for random info, but lately I've been forgetting a lot of it. Haven't watched cricket in so long I probably forget the rules these days, same goes for footy with the exception of the odd France match here and there.

Roll on the 19th Dec - back to England for two weeks.

One decision that I've thought of that was possibly the right one for the match situtation, but extremely bad man-management, was Atherton's decision to pull the plug with Hick on 98*. It was one of our tours to Oz, 94/5 (? again from memory) The big fella always seemed more of a carrot than a stick sort of a player, so for his captain to do that to him was rather short-sighted.
    Yeah, he himself said it was not a decision he'd have taken again, and reckons that had he let Hick get the century it'd have improved the mood in the camp and maybe helped win the game which they ended-up just failing to.

Hick did not speak to him for the rest of the tour. And yeah, it was 1994\95, Atherton's only Ashes tour as captain.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yeah, he himself said it was not a decision he'd have taken again, and reckons that had he let Hick get the century it'd have improved the mood in the camp and maybe helped win the game which they ended-up just failing to.

Hick did not speak to him for the rest of the tour. And yeah, it was 1994\95, Atherton's only Ashes tour as captain.
    Wow, pretty selfish on his part, I would think. Its his duty and responsibility as a professional cricketer to accept the decisions his captain makes to help England win, and personally I don't care if he was on 399*, he should be willing to leave whenever it would benefit his country. Such behavior would be a bit of a black mark on the legacy of any cricketer, one would think.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Nah. I'd side with Hick except I'd not go as far as to alienate for the rest of the tour.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

TBH it was only another couple of weeks - he left the tour with a prolapsed disc not long after said incident. Had he lasted the course, it's very possible the two would have made-up before the end.

I don't blame Hick at all TBH. You can say "it's a team game" all you want - it's a team game played by individuals, and individual achievements do mean a hell of a lot, whether some people like it or not. A century is a buoyancy-aid to a team, and denying a batsman a century is bound to have some effect.

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    One bad one was by Dravid in Pakistan 2003/4 when he left Sachin on 194*.
    Didnt he win the game???? So how was that bad declaration?
    Twitter @3Bouncers
    One of my friends said "And itís not like we havenít defeated India enough. I think weíve beaten them on a couple of occasions, on a lot of occasions, in fact."

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information