Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Best & Worst Declarations

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Interesting, had never heard of that before.

Strange because Imran is and always has been thought of as being such a superb man-manager of exactly people like Javed.
    Imran was a bit obsessive in his belief that every effort should be for victory and not personal glory/records. Also, Miandad was still 85 runs away from Gary Sobers' record, but I can understand why Miandad would be miffed.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Interesting, had never heard of that before.

Strange because Imran is and always has been thought of as being such a superb man-manager of exactly people like Javed.
    With Javed it wasn't so much man-management as keeping a potential rival in his place.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Haha, that's impressive. I thought I had a good mind for stats. Well, I do have a good mind for random info, but lately I've been forgetting a lot of it. Haven't watched cricket in so long I probably forget the rules these days, same goes for footy with the exception of the odd France match here and there.

Roll on the 19th Dec - back to England for two weeks.
    It will seem strange having to speak English all the time again. I spent two weeks there and when I got to the UK it took me a day or two to get my brain thinking in English. Simple things like say 'thank you' rather then 'merci'.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Among the worst non declarations (not to it was well too late anyway) has a new nominee today in First Class cricket anyway. WA batting through most of the last day and setting Tassie more 500 to win in bugger all time when Tassie have been crap in the Pura Cup all year stinks of weakness.

International Vice-Captain 33/3from3.3's Avatar
    Think there was a thread about this a week or two ago, about Somerset's declaration on.....wait for it.....1 run.
    Maria - Due December

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    "So this is what it feels like to be on top of a batsmen".
    RIP Fardin Qayummi - 15th April 2006

Hansie Cronje and English Captain (Hussain maybe) in a Test Match in South Africa where both teams declared the first innings without batting was a very good declaration IMO.

It was kinda controversal but was good for the game.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Hansie Cronje and English Captain (Hussain maybe) in a Test Match in South Africa where both teams declared the first innings without batting was a very good declaration IMO.

Interestingly, a few commentators actually did praise Cronje for his actions at the time as he (with Nasser's unwitting collusion) had breathed life into an otherwise inevitable draw, but the fact that he did it at the bookmakers'/match-fixers' behest means that it was absolutely ****ing awful for the game. One of the main tenents of sport is that all competitors are legitimately trying to win.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    It will seem strange having to speak English all the time again. I spent two weeks there and when I got to the UK it took me a day or two to get my brain thinking in English. Simple things like say 'thank you' rather then 'merci'.
    Yeah, can imagine. I'm looking forward to people in the street actually trying to avoid me, instead of just walking into me and then following it up with "Pardon". I'm also looking forward to beer that comes in pints, seeing my friends, watching some football, watching some cricket...man, I'd need my own thread to tell you all the things I'm looking forward to about coming home, even for two weeks!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

Interestingly, a few commentators actually did praise Cronje for his actions at the time as he (with Nasser's unwitting collusion) had breathed life into an otherwise inevitable draw, but the fact that he did it at the bookmakers'/match-fixers' behest means that it was absolutely ****ing awful for the game. One of the main tenents of sport is that all competitors are legitimately trying to win.
    Perhaps, then, it'd be most accurate to say that any such declaration where the idea was that of someone other than a gambler would have been a good one.

It's interesting that that game was never fixed in the classic manner. The person responsible, Marlon Aronstram, planned to beat the bookmakers. Normally, it's the bookmakers who get involved to try and beat the punters.

Cronje, in short, was interested not in breathing life into the game, but getting a result. Which meant that a South African victory was the best outcome for him, an England victory the second. And to ensure against the draw, he, er, cunningly brought himself on just when it looked like England were going to shut-up shop.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Perhaps, then, it'd be most accurate to say that any such declaration where the idea was that of someone other than a gambler would have been a good one.

It's interesting that that game was never fixed in the classic manner. The person responsible, Marlon Aronstram, planned to beat the bookmakers. Normally, it's the bookmakers who get involved to try and beat the punters.

Cronje, in short, was interested not in breathing life into the game, but getting a result. Which meant that a South African victory was the best outcome for him, an England victory the second. And to ensure against the draw, he, er, cunningly brought himself on just when it looked like England were going to shut-up shop.
    It's an interesting viewpoint. Captains have colluded in the county championship since it began to set agreed targets to give the possibility of a result, but before that tour it was unheard of in tests. I remember being stunned rigid that we'd won, having left for work (& having no internet access at work back then) with the 5th day about to begin and SA's 1st innings still in progress. When I flicked on teletext (this was the dark ages) to read the details I was surprised, but didn't suspect anything amiss at all. Cronje was seen at the time as a paragon of Calvinist rectitude, so the idea that he'd "fix" a match was laughable.

What is undeniable is that it created an exciting finish to a test match, which is usually a good thing. Unfortunately the circumstances are such that no two captains are likely to come to a similar arrangement any time soon because the finger of suspicion would inevitably point in their directions. Which is maybe a pity.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Hussain's reaction when he heard the suggestion (Alec Stewart walked past him on the fourth evening and said "have you spoken to Hansie? He wants to make a game of it.") was "nah, no way, this isn't Essex v Hampshire at Colchester, this is a Test, you don't mess around with Tests". Exactly as you say - the idea was unthinkable.

The point is, though - why? I think it was a downright odd thought. The Test was a dead one, and there was a large crowd of English spectators. Why not make a game of it? There was no good reason not to. Sure, the victory wouldn't have meant much to anyone - Atherton recalls how (long before anyone suspected gambling-related intervention) he felt "completely hollow" as he watched the fans celebrate. It wasn't a true Test-match victory. I felt exactly the same as you and Atherton did. Even now, I think of that series as a 2-0 victory for SA.

But it would, had the idea been raised by, let's say, Graeme Ford or Duncan Fletcher and not the aforementioned Aronstram, have been a wonderful thing for cricket. It turned what would otherwise have been a meaningless day into a thrilling one. And that, really, is all that would have mattered had Aronstram not been involved.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    Imran Khan once created a huge furore in Pakistan by declaring in a match against India in 1983 when Javed Miandad was unbeaten on 280. Would you consider that wrong?
    Yes. He should have given Miandad (as an example) five overs to get the runs. Or told him earlier when he would declare so Miandad could plan his innings. Otherwise, absolutely it was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Yes. He should have given Miandad (as an example) five overs to get the runs. Or told him earlier when he would declare so Miandad could plan his innings. Otherwise, absolutely it was wrong.
    Hmm... not sure I would agree with that. Making a declaration is a dynamic thing, sometimes if your team is scoring too slow you might need to delay the declaration and if the team has scored very quickly it might be advantageous to make it earlier.

Would probably agree with your first idea though, if they're close to a very big milestone and you as a captain are close to a declaration it would be a great idea to inform them.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by 33/3from3.3 View Post
    Think there was a thread about this a week or two ago, about Somerset's declaration on.....wait for it.....1 run.

A mate of mine at the time (RIP Nick) was one of the 20 something spectators who paid to get in, he got his 75p back though.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I don't blame Hick at all TBH. You can say "it's a team game" all you want - it's a team game played by individuals, and individual achievements do mean a hell of a lot, whether some people like it or not. A century is a buoyancy-aid to a team, and denying a batsman a century is bound to have some effect.
    Pretty much my feelings on the matter. Although as sp713 it was a tad selfish on Hick's behalf, and quite unprofessional. I feel as though Hick had a right to be angry for a day or two, maybe even 4 or 5, depending on what kind of character he was, but to not speak to the captain for two weeks is pretty poor and would not have helped the mood in the dressing room at all.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information