• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best & Worst Declarations

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Exactly, it was a ballsy move that didn't pay off.

Australia were 9 down with 2 bowlers in, it's not like there was a batsman at one end going ballistic.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Faf Du Plessis declaration vs Australia at the Wanderers in 2018 ..Oof now that's a proper declaration , give the opposition no chance ..Australia needed 612 to win and got bowled out for 119 .

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Imran Khan declared when Miandad was 280 which pissed him off. But then he declared when he himself was on 93* which I give him credit for.
Dravid's declaration when Tendulkar was at 194* can be regarded as both a great or a poor declaration.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
There would have been with a late wicket on day 1. It isn't unheard of to try and get two cracks with the new ball. That doesn't make it a good declaration but neither does it make it the worst one ever.
Nah this was my point (and always has been) that declarations are not merely good or bad because you win or lose. There's too many other factors. However, it's only human nature that it's how it gets judged.

When you declare and lose, that has to be a talking point given you potentially leave runs on the table - especially in England's case with Root and a very capable Robinson.

We knew there were going to be times in England's approach to Test cricket that they were going to be too kamikaze. You can't take all the good they've had without any bad. It's whether they can learn from it and adapt, or they're saying nah bugger it, we're sticking to our guns no matter who we play and where.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
The one which annoyed me the most (at the time of the declaration, so without the benefit of hindsight) was Root’s at Headingley in 2017. To have fought so hard in the second Innings to have a chance of saving the game and then to run the risk of losing it was ridiculous.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
The one which annoyed me the most (at the time of the declaration, so without the benefit of hindsight) was Root’s at Headingley in 2017. To have fought so hard in the second Innings to have a chance of saving the game and then to run the risk of losing it was ridiculous.
Was it bad? England should've been able to bowl WI out on day five with Anderson/Broad/Woakes/Stokes/Mo as the bowlers.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
At least to me it felt worse as it threw away the hard won recovery in Englands second innings. I would have minded less if, say, the first innings of each side were more or less equal.

it was also out of kilter with England’s strategic approach at the time. While I disagreed with this week’s declaration it was at least in keeping with the ‘all out attack’ strategy which has served England so well over the last 12 months and as such I could excuse them this lapse.

ashley bach

International Captain
It's going to take a great argument to suggest that this wasn't one of the worst declarations memorable.
Hindsight has nothing to do with it, what needs to be looked at is whether a captain/coach has made a good call.
Declaring on a road on only 390 with Root 118* just doesn't make any logical sense. Bazball made an emotional call, which was a very poor one.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
It's going to take a great argument to suggest that this wasn't one of the worst declarations memorable.
Hindsight has nothing to do with it, what needs to be looked at is whether a captain/coach has made a good call.
Declaring on a road on only 390 with Root 118* just doesn't make any logical sense. Bazball made an emotional call, which was a very poor one.
And it was day 1 as well , so much time left in the game