• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somerset Players in the World Cup

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now that our dream has been brought to an end thanks to our inability to beat Australia as well as the rain in Zimbabwe's match with Pakistan, I wondered who might be Somerset's best player of the tournament?

Nixon McLean - Played once, got clobbered and was never seen again. Won't be picked for summer Tests on this one showing so Somerset fans getting twitchy can rest easy.

Marcus Trescothick - Not a great World Cup as he failed to shake off his Ashes form though I suspect a long tour had taken its effect. He has not turned into a bad player over the course of few months and if all this silly talk of him captaining England can be put to rest perhaps he can return to top form in summer 2003. I say silly as I think it is too soon for him and I would rather see as an England fan, him getting plenty of runs rather than taking on the strains of captaining should Hussain quit.

Andrew Caddick - Emerged from a mixed Ashes tour into his last World Cup and played well. His one day form was been excellent recently and when he hasn't bagged wickets, he has been admirably accurate and economical. His 4-35 against Australia should have been a match-winning effort and why didn't he bowl the penultimate over rather than Anderson???

Ian Blackwell - had a very good into into one day cricket in a one day shirt prior to the World Cup and had one or two good performances before injury saw the impressive Collingwood keep him out for Australia. Deserves a one day contract and faith in the summer as he has been a success.

So who do Somerst fans think has done the best and worst?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jf2001 said:
Ian Blackwell - had a very good into into one day cricket in a one day shirt prior to the World Cup and had one or two good performances before injury saw the impressive Collingwood keep him out for Australia. Deserves a one day contract and faith in the summer as he has been a success.
Don't think he'll get one, or really deserve one - still behind Giles as the Spin option, and not done enough with the bat to get one as batsman who bowls (which let's face it is what he should be called)

Andre

International Regular
Caddick, by a long way I think.

Performed admirably, better than the other 3 candidates atleast!

Bazza

International 12th Man
Blackwell did well I thought, but I have to choose Caddick on the basis that he played more than 2 games.

He did bowl quite well, especially against Australia.

Also jf, this was his first World Cup, as well as his last!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes although I wasn't expecting it Caddick gets my vote too! Shame Anderson doesn't play for Somerset ;)