• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team will chase down 500 in Tests?

Which team will chase down 500 runs in a Test first?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another chance tomorrow, unlikely but possible.
All this would be academic, of course, if England hadn't had to catch the boat home in that last timeless test on this very ground in the late 1930s.

Set 696 to win, England were only 5 down for 654 when the game was called off by agreement at the end of day 10(!!!) so the boys could catch a train across to Cape Town and get the steamer home. Here's the scorecard:

5th TEST: South Africa v England at Durban, 3-14 Mar 1939

Fair to say the pitch didn't really deteriorate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All this would be academic, of course, if England hadn't had to catch the boat home in that last timeless test on this very ground in the late 1930s.

Set 696 to win, England were only 5 down for 654 when the game was called off by agreement at the end of day 10(!!!) so the boys could catch a train across to Cape Town and get the steamer home. Here's the scorecard:

5th TEST: South Africa v England at Durban, 3-14 Mar 1939
Aye, mentioned that one before now. Not even sure whether it might've been in this thread.

That would be one record that would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be broken. Barring a return to timeless Tests.
Fair to say the pitch didn't really deteriorate.
Don't think pitches really did deteriorate much in the 1930s. Not when the weather was dry.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Voted India - they have the combination of strong batting line up, inc handy lower batsmen in the tail, a pretty average bowling attack, and playing on lots of very flat tracks, that gives them the best shot.

I'd say Australia is quite capable, especially if Hussey can regain some form, but are probably the least likely to be set such a target.

gwo

U19 Debutant
Voted Windies.

Pretty much the only team that mercurial to be in a situation and take it down.

Uppercut

Nah, I voted for South Africa as they are easily the best chasers in world cricket.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Despite the fact that a and s are nowhere near o and k on the keyboard, thats got to be a typo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aha.

I was naturally sidetracked by the SA aspect of the "a and s".

This G.I.Joe fellow is one of those remarkably "subtly and very quietly clever-funny" posters you see very occasionally.

Isolator being another prime example.

Uppercut

It's too damp. If today and tomorrow were baked in glorious sunshine, Australia would have as good a shot as anyone will ever have at it.

I don't personally think this game is over. They've scored 500 on worse pitches against better attacks before, the fact that it's in the fourth innings doesn't suddenly make it impossible. But it goes without saying that it would a massive achievement (and shock) if they did.

morgieb

What Uppercut said. Weather's too overcast for Australia to chase it down. If it was sunny then they probably could do it, but now I highly doubt it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
A better question would have been....
"Which Team Will Be At The Receiving End of a 500 Run Victory Bid"?