• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team will chase down 500 in Tests?

Which team will chase down 500 runs in a Test first?

• Total voters

JackPot

U19 12th Man
definitely not australia....may be aus will be the losing team in the test match where 500 plus is chased to win

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think it's sensible to expect 500+ to be chased-down - ever. Only once has 500+ ever been scored in the fourth-innings, in a freak timeless game on what could only have been a pitch that flattened-out to be flat with the best of them.

It might, possibly happen someday. But 400+ has been chased-down just 3 times in 60 years. It might well be 20 years (or more) before that even happens again.

That 500+ will never happen is far from inconceivable.
5 years ago one would have thought that the idea of 1 side, never mind 2, scoring more than 400 in an ODI was impossible.

Regardless of how unlikely the scenario seems, it's even less sensible to dismiss the idea out of hand.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It will happen, and it will happen within the next 2 years.

Never forget that one team - whose name shamefully has been omitted from the options in the poll list - once scored 654-5 chasing 696 to win.
Lucky Saffers sneak a draw

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It will happen, and it will happen within the next 2 years.

Never forget that one team - whose name shamefully has been omitted from the options in the poll list - once scored 654-5 chasing 696 to win.
Well, if we have timeless tests again, perhaps it would happen.

But I do think it'll happen eventually, though I don't think it's particularly imminent.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I can forgive Craig for leaving us out as we are obviously unlikely to ever be set such a target due to possessing possibly the ten best bowlers in the world

Precambrian

Banned
Or that a 500 target is deemed as unnecessary given England's batting lineup?:ph34r:

I think it will require totally "inconsistent" cricket from both sides for such a scenario to happen. So I guess one of the teams will be Pakistan. The other side, given their penchant for having lost games after enforcing follow-ons, might be Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
5 years ago one would have thought that the idea of 1 side, never mind 2, scoring more than 400 in an ODI was impossible.

Regardless of how unlikely the scenario seems, it's even less sensible to dismiss the idea out of hand.
Yeah, hence no-one in their right mind would dismiss the idea out-of-hand.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really do wish that that game had had the time to be completed, as had it done so, a record would've been set which, presuming timeless Tests are never reinstated, would never, ever have been broken.

tooextracool

International Coach
Not really. The team that will score 500 has to have the best batting card in the world that is capable of scoring big and that does not always correlate with the best team in the world. For example, it is fair to say that even before this series, India would have been in with a fair shout of this target because they have many players who can score big scores. That does not necessarily mean that they were/are the best team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
First they thought they could chase 400... and they did. Then they thought they could chase 450... and they didn't.

Now the question is 550? It's just getting more and more ridiculous. How does this keep happening?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
First they thought they could chase 400... and they did. Then they thought they could chase 450... and they didn't.

Now the question is 550? It's just getting more and more ridiculous. How does this keep happening?
**** bowling (from the South Africans).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yet they keep batting really well at the start of the fourth-innings to follow it. Even if, in the second (and probably third, but we can dream) case, they bat poorly later on and waste that.