• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tv & Icc

archie mac

International Coach
Can anyone tell me how it works?

Does the ICC hold the rights to things such as 'Snicko', Hot Spot, Hawkeye and the like?

Or are they owned by the inventor or by TV stations such as Hot Spot by Channel 9?

Watching the coverage of the Sri Lanka V England Test and they only seem to have a thing call Trakker, which seems to be a little dated as far as techo stuff on the tele goes.

Is it a money thing? If so I think the ICC should ensure all TV coverage has the latest Technology.

I found it annoying that we could not tell a couple of times with the English captain with snicks one for a lbw and the other for his dismissal:@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's totally dependent on the TV company.

I$C$C have no reason to control TV coverage.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The amount of enjoyability to the viewer is entirely dependent on the budget of the TV company.

Obviously, if TV companies want to maximumise their potential, they need to put these things into their budget. If they don't and someone else does, they are the ones who look bad.

If no-one in a certain country looks likely to offer said service, then there's a free rein.

archie mac

International Coach
The amount of enjoyability to the viewer is entirely dependent on the budget of the TV company.

Obviously, if TV companies want to maximumise their potential, they need to put these things into their budget. If they don't and someone else does, they are the ones who look bad.

If no-one in a certain country looks likely to offer said service, then there's a free rein.
But who owns these things?:unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dunno how much it'd cost, TBH, don't have a clue in fact, but the patents will presumably be owned by those who designed them. Sometimes, though, those who designed them will be affiliated to certain TV companies - IIRR it was someone from Nine who came-up with HotSpot, for instance.

pasag

RTDAS
They didn't invent it, they flew to France iirc to check it out there, liked what they saw and bought it. Not sure what its original use was for.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, HotSpot and HawkEye were both designed by the military?

Was it someone from Nine who invented Snickometers? Certainly Nine was the first station to use it, UIMM.

bond21

Banned
Nine invented basically everything with cricket broadcasting. They brought in the 2 camera angles, snicko, hotspot, hawkeye and about a million other things

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Nine invented basically everything with cricket broadcasting. They brought in the 2 camera angles, snicko, hotspot, hawkeye and about a million other things
I do know that a kiwi company called Virtual Spectator came up with the 3D wagon wheel. They also did the graphics for America's Cup coverage at one point.

AFAIK Channel 9 came up with a lot of the other stuff. Some of it is interesting (eg. Hawkeye), most of it is gimmicky rubbish IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Snickometers and HotSpots have their uses.

Pretty certain Nine didn't invent HawkEyes, though, that was first used in the UK (both C4 and Sky) in 2001, which UIMM was before Nine used it for the first time.