• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

will Anderson move into the test squad?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
surely he would have to.
Hes the best up and coming fast bowler england have had in some time and has proved in the world cup he has got what it takes to succed at the international level.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think there's little doubt that he will play in tests at some time this summer.

Probably play twice, have a great start, poor second game and then get dropped for 4 years

Rich2001

International Captain
broncoman said:
surely he would have to.
Hes the best up and coming fast bowler england have had in some time and has proved in the world cup he has got what it takes to succed at the international level.
Iam sure will see him in there, but everyone has only seen him in One Dayer's but Tests are a completly different ball game... and there's no saying he has the temperment to do well in that form... But lets hope he does and he is part of the England side that regain the Ashes in 2 years Si :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I wouldn't mind seeing him in against Zimbabwe along with a young batsman like Bell or Troughton. Anderson's certianly better than Harmison, and the 1st Test against Zimbabwe would be a nice, pressure free debut. :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ive only seen good things with Anderson, so get him in instead of Harmison. At least Anderson pitches it up and gets some movement..But hasnt he slowed down a lot lately, he looked express at Lancs!

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: Re: will Anderson move into the test squad?

Rich2001 said:
Iam sure will see him in there, but everyone has only seen him in One Dayer's but Tests are a completly different ball game... and there's no saying he has the temperment to do well in that form... But lets hope he does and he is part of the England side that regain the Ashes in 2 years Si :D
I think we will be keeping the Ashes thanks rich :P

Eclipse

International Debutant
dito!

I cant see enough good players coming through from england to regain the ashes just yet maybe in 4 years time if you are lucky.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
My englissh test team

Vaughan
Trescothick (c)
Butcher
Knight
Collingwood
Flintoff
Stewart
White
Giles
Caddick
Anderson

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Jimmy Anderson is the best talent in England at the moment.

I can really see England having a fairly good attack in the future with him, Jones and Hoggard as the 3 quick bowlers.

All the poms need is a spinner - even a tie-down off spnner is good to add some variety rather than playing 4 quicks.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
dito!

I cant see enough good players coming through from england to regain the ashes just yet maybe in 4 years time if you are lucky.
Yes but you would...

There are plenty of talented players coming through, you just haven't noticed them as you have been going on about Australian youngsters of late, most of who have done about as much as most of the English youngsters.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
My englissh test team

Vaughan
Trescothick (c)
Butcher
Knight
Collingwood
Flintoff
Stewart
White
Giles
Caddick
Anderson
Right, a few problems there:

Trescothick hasn't impressed as captain when he's had the chance.

Why is Knight there? The OD game is totally different to Tests, would you see Knight running down the pitch in Tests like he does in ODIs? Nope. Also he's failed so often there is no point in trying him again. Put someone else in like Bell or Shah.

Collingwood might be useful but I don't want to fall into the trap of having too many bits and pieces players. I would pick another batsman, maybe Thorpe since he is available in the summer.

Flintoff? His record is appauling, his bowling lacks variety and his batting has numerous flaws. He's a good OD player, but I would wait and see if he has a good early season for Lancashire before even thinking of putting him into the Test team. And batting him ahead of Stewart? That's just an insult...

Also, if Gough returns I'd put him back in, he's got 220 odd Test wickets, and we need someone to help against SA...

Bazza

International 12th Man
AM I'm afraid you have shown a lack of knowledge of the English game there. It's excusable being an Aussie, but here is my input to the argument:

Hussain - why drop him?

Knight - had more than one chance too many.

Collingwood - not yet, maybe one day. He is a decent batsman.

Flintoff - should be in.

Anderson - yeah, give him a go.

OK so we have:

Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Batsman
Stewart
Flintoff
White
Giles
Caddick
Anderson

Room for Thorpe, but also the possibility of a youngster like Bell. Depends on early season form I guess. I would also say Butcher is not safe if he doesn't perform.

Room for Gough if fit and Jones when fit (Anderson would probably be left out assuming he doesn't set the world on fire). I'm not sure about White but there's no better all rounder on offer right now (that I can think of) unless Hollioake somehow runs into favour, but he can't even get in the OD side.

I would like some pressure on Stewart. No reason to drop him at the moment he's still producing the goods, but if he starts to struggle I would like to see Chris Read given a go later in the summer, mostly because I can't see Stewart playing on beyond September, but then that was said last year!

Hourn - Giles does just that, though he can cause problems on helpful surfaces as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I've long advocated playing Flintoff at 6 - put him under a bit more pressure to bat well, and, when Stewart finally goes, we'll need another person in that position.

As for criticism of him, I think in the past 12 months, he's been very good, and was probably the biggest miss in the Ashes.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hussain is crap, and hes seid he will prob retire after the WC, seriously if he was not captain i cant see him getting picked,

talent is talent and Knights got it - also they need a couple of good fielders and Knight and collingwood are both good

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well my final test eleven!

1.Knight
2.Trescothick
3.Vaughan
4.Hick
5.Bell
6.Thorpe
7.Stewart
8.Flintoff (or giles if spinning pitch)
9.White
10.Caddick
11.Anderson

Please dont kill me for saying Hick!
Look how many other people average 30 in tests for England!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
hussain is crap, and hes seid he will prob retire after the WC, seriously if he was not captain i cant see him getting picked,

talent is talent and Knights got it - also they need a couple of good fielders and Knight and collingwood are both good
Knight is talented, but you need good temprement and in Tests, Knight doesn't have that. You might be going on his OD performances lately, but the OD game is totally different to Tests.

As for Hussain being crap, look at his profile then try telling me 4866 runs at an average of 37 is crap. He allways seems to come to the rescue when he's needed. Now if this was a ODI team then yes, he doesn't really merit a place on his batting, but in Tests there is no reason for him to retire.

I'd rather have a good solid batsman rather than a good fielder in Tests.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Now if this was a ODI team then yes, he doesn't really merit a place on his batting, but in Tests there is no reason for him to retire.
So who would you put in his place in the order then - we need someone to guide the team through the middle order...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
So who would you put in his place in the order then - we need someone to guide the team through the middle order...
Thorpe if he's mentally fit. We need someone who can knock the ball around but Hussain has a stroke rate of 65, which is just too slow in my opinion. Yes even Bevan scores at 75.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Bazza said:

Hourn - Giles does just that, though he can cause problems on helpful surfaces as well.

I'm talking about a fair way down in the future - 5 or so years. Giles is 28 or 29, and i dont think he will be there in 5 years time.

There really doesn't seem to be much in way of spinners under 23 at the current time, but there are some reasonable quicks.

if Richard Dawson is your most talented spinner, i would reckon the poms would be better of going with four quicks and try to blast the opposition. Dawson isn't good enough to be a tie them down spinner, let alone a wicket taking spinner.

Although just had a quick thought - what about Blackwell. At least he turns the ball. how old is he?

V Reddy

International Debutant
Collingwood should be there in the test team. He has a decent technique and is good against the short ball. Why are the Englishmen not interested in him? You may say that one dayers and tests are totally different but you never know until you try him. He looks very good against both fast and spin bowling.