• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is it...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
... that commentators so often talk about batsmen looking behind as supposedly a sign that they've nicked something? Batsmen look behind after playing-and-missing - sometimes even leaving - ATT.

It's not even as if it's a good-commentator\bad-commentator thing either.

Flem274*

123/5
... that commentators so often talk about batsmen looking behind as supposedly a sign that they've nicked something? Batsmen look behind after playing-and-missing - sometimes even leaving - ATT.

It's not even as if it's a good-commentator\bad-commentator thing either.
Because they feel the need to look knowledgable?

Its a good question tbh. I suppose its because alot of batsmen will have a look to see if it was caught.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I never look behind when I've edged one. I just do what I normally do, and practice my shot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've heard Chappelli say that if a batsman looks behind he's out. Can't see the reasoning behind it tbh.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
They're not talking about just "looking behind." They're referring to an almost involuntary reflex jerk of the head as the batsman looks to see if the catch is taken. In some cases there's a marked difference in reaction to a play and miss and an edge.

Fiery

Banned
They're not talking about just "looking behind." They're referring to an almost involuntary reflex jerk of the head as the batsman looks to see if the catch is taken. In some cases there's a marked difference in reaction to a play and miss and an edge.
exactly

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Keep your eye on the ball IMO.

Don't forget Akmal, Prior etc are behind the stumps..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's involuntary enough when batsmen play-and-miss too. Mostly the batsmen tend to look behind in exactly the same way whether they've nicked it or not.

bond21

Banned
if you leave the ball, why would you look around? I dont look around when I leave it, I get ready for the next ball. Same if I play and miss.

If you edge it you look around to see if its been caught, you cant control it, its a reflex. You shouldnt be looking for a run anyway, thats the non striker's job.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
if you leave the ball, why would you look around? I dont look around when I leave it, I get ready for the next ball. Same if I play and miss.

If you edge it you look around to see if its been caught, you cant control it, its a reflex. You shouldnt be looking for a run anyway, thats the non striker's job.
You get ready for the next ball as soon as you leave it!! Crazy IMO. Your concentrating way too much.

bond21

Banned
not get ready, but i prepare for it. I dont think about something completely irrelevent, i think about the match's situation and what i need to do. I dont see the point in watching it to the keeper's gloves, its pointless.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
It's involuntary enough when batsmen play-and-miss too. Mostly the batsmen tend to look behind in exactly the same way whether they've nicked it or not.
Not really. If they look around it's mostly because it might have/ was edged. Only seen people look around for a play and miss if it was a very good ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well TBH I'd say play-and-misses are decent balls more often than not... :unsure:

Equally, though, if batsmen have a big swish at a nothing ball, they don't usually tend to look behind much whether they nick it or not. Usually more busy either keeping their balance or chastising themselves.