• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time worst Australian one day team

ttm

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Minimum 10 games played to qualify

1. Michael Slater - Probably the worst one day player ever relative to test record. An average of only 24 with a strike rate just one higher than Tubby. And that was after he belted 73 from 69 in his 1st game.

2. Mark Taylor (vc) - Was not even a regular member of the team but when Border resigned he suddenly became the captain!! Unlike G Marsh after anchoring the team to the 40th over Taylor did not have the shots to accelerate the run rate. Would eventually get caught on the inner circle in a pathetic attempt to hit a six. And the player he replaced?? DEAN JONES!!

3. Kim Hughes - Like Slater such an attacking player should have been an ideal one day player but after 97 matches he could only manage an average of 24 with no hundreds.

4. Greg Ritchie - Gave away 20 runs in the field each game and my dad tells me he never ran a 3 once in 44 games. An average of 27 doesn't help.

5. Greg Blewett - With Taylor and Slater was one of the reasons Australia were such a crap team from mid 1996 to early 1998. Only two 50s in 32 games with an average of 20.

6. Stuart Law - Dropped the catch that would have won Australia the 1996 world cup! Law started out alright of but soon became another victim of the Mark Taylor I don't care about one day games disease club. For the record he finished with an average of 27.

7. Greg Mathews - Loved running himself out by five metres in tight situations. Loved being hit for six by Viv Richards. Loved overreacting when he bowled out a tail ender.

8. Tim Zoehrer (+)- His handy batting at 1st class level translated into a useless one day career in the mid 80s where he averaged only 10. Soon got the flick but after seven years on the sidelines Ian 'the cheat' Healy was finally injured which gave Timmy boy one last chance. Australia were in trouble at 5/93 chasing down a competitive SA total. Tim could have been a hero but was lbw for 9 and thus ended a pathetic international career.

9. Brendan Julian - Average of 45 and economy of 5.2 says it all. Put a few boxes on seats though.

10. Mick Lewis - Makes the team despite the 10 game rule because he was sooooo pathetic. Owned the worst figures in the history of the game with 0/113 of 10 against the chokers. Also owns a 1/77 off 9. His response after the butt rape "Just one of those days. Could have happened to anyone." No it could only happen to you.

11. Bruce Reid (c) - Beanpole was the worst batsman in the history of cricket. Needed only two runs off the final over against NZ in 1991. Missed every ball and we lost by one run. When the roles reversed Alan Lamb smacked him for 18 off the last over to win in 1987. Also the worst fielder in the history of cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1. Michael Slater - Probably the worst one day player ever relative to test record.
Michael Vaughan FTW.
10. Mick Lewis - Makes the team despite the 10 game rule because he was sooooo pathetic. Owned the worst figures in the history of the game with 0/113 of 10 against the chokers. Also owns a 1/77 off 9. His response after the butt rape "Just one of those days. Could have happened to anyone." No it could only happen to you.
Well... no, it could have happened to pretty much anyone. It very nearly did happen to such an esteemed bowler as Stuart Clark just months later.

Craig

World Traveller

1. Michael Slater - Probably the worst one day player ever relative to test record. An average of only 24 with a strike rate just one higher than Tubby. And that was after he belted 73 from 69 in his 1st game.

2. Mark Taylor (vc) - Was not even a regular member of the team but when Border resigned he suddenly became the captain!! Unlike G Marsh after anchoring the team to the 40th over Taylor did not have the shots to accelerate the run rate. Would eventually get caught on the inner circle in a pathetic attempt to hit a six. And the player he replaced?? DEAN JONES!!

3. Kim Hughes - Like Slater such an attacking player should have been an ideal one day player but after 97 matches he could only manage an average of 24 with no hundreds.

4. Greg Ritchie - Gave away 20 runs in the field each game and my dad tells me he never ran a 3 once in 44 games. An average of 27 doesn't help.

5. Greg Blewett - With Taylor and Slater was one of the reasons Australia were such a crap team from mid 1996 to early 1998. Only two 50s in 32 games with an average of 20.

6. Stuart Law - Dropped the catch that would have won Australia the 1996 world cup! Law started out alright of but soon became another victim of the Mark Taylor I don't care about one day games disease club. For the record he finished with an average of 27.

7. Greg Mathews - Loved running himself out by five metres in tight situations. Loved being hit for six by Viv Richards. Loved overreacting when he bowled out a tail ender.

8. Tim Zoehrer (+)- His handy batting at 1st class level translated into a useless one day career in the mid 80s where he averaged only 10. Soon got the flick but after seven years on the sidelines Ian 'the cheat' Healy was finally injured which gave Timmy boy one last chance. Australia were in trouble at 5/93 chasing down a competitive SA total. Tim could have been a hero but was lbw for 9 and thus ended a pathetic international career.

9. Brendan Julian - Average of 45 and economy of 5.2 says it all. Put a few boxes on seats though.

11. Bruce Reid (c) - Beanpole was the worst batsman in the history of cricket. Needed only two runs off the final over against NZ in 1991. Missed every ball and we lost by one run. When the roles reversed Alan Lamb smacked him for 18 off the last over to win in 1987. Also the worst fielder in the history of cricket.
Chris Martin would be honoured.

ttm

Well... no, it could have happened to pretty much anyone. It very nearly did happen to such an esteemed bowler as Stuart Clark just months later.
I have not been here long but sometimes I get the impression you post just for the sake of posting. How could it happen to just about everyone when its only ever happened to him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err, because that game was a freak. And as I say - it did nearly happen to Stuart Clark not long after. Any Australian bowler - the ODI-class ones, never mind the non-ODI-class ones (let's say some other random bowler was pulled from state cricket for that game - there's quite a few rubbish Australian bowlers out there) - could have had a day like that in that match.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I thought Stuart Law was a fairly decent one day performer.

Also someone like Brett Dorey would be happy that he's been excluded over Bruce Reid. Pretty harsh putting down Reid for his batting!

pasag

RTDAS
The amount of crap Lewis gets ridiculous, granted he's not a top bowler but the amount of rubbish he gets for one game is abnormal. He did take the record off Murali remember? And it wasn't his fault Ponting kept bowling him even after it was clearly not his day and Lee and Clark had overs left. Not like many bowlers did well that day either.

Last edited:

iamdavid

International Debutant

Brett Dorey was worse than both of these two imo, I've made my thoughts on Lewis known before, he's not nearly as poor as people make out, a little one-dimensional and probably not international standard, however he had good pace and control and certainly wasnt "just sooooo pathetic"

Craig

World Traveller
I have not been here long but sometimes I get the impression you post just for the sake of posting. How could it happen to just about everyone when its only ever happened to him.
Didn't such a thing happen to Martin Snedden?

ttm

Brett Dorey was worse than Reid but only played 4 games. I wanted to reward players who lost many games for Australia due to their mediocrity.

I didn't choose Reid for his batting. It was his bowling, average 35, and his fielding that won him a place.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Can you imagine tubby playing one-day cricket now? Not a hope :D I wonder if Langer would have suceeded in one-dayers given the chance? Can't say I'm too dissapointed he never was.

Flem274*

123/5

Ahem, chokers? Look who lost that game, then the CB series and the CH a year later despite being the best in the world.:p

pup11

International Coach

10. Mick Lewis - Makes the team despite the 10 game rule because he was sooooo pathetic. Owned the worst figures in the history of the game with 0/113 of 10 against the chokers. Also owns a 1/77 off 9. His response after the ¤butt rape¤ "Just one of those days. Could have happened to anyone." No it could only happen to you.

Seriously mate that is one of the most funniest post's i have come across recently, though i think you have been a bit unfair on Mick Lewis but i fell of my chair laughing reading your comments regarding him, but lot of us forget that Mick Lewis also won us two games in one he bowled a terrific last over in C-H trophy 2nd game in New Zealand in 06 to win us the game by 2 runs and he won a game for us in South Africa in 06 with the bat too when he strung a small last wicket partnership with Bracken to win us the 4th Odi of that series.

Last edited: