• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Visit Howstatdotcom and become a Cricket Pundit

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Before the mods slap me on the wrist for advertising on the forum, I must quickl;y inform that I am just doing social servise as well as helping to bring about peaceful resolutions to so many arguments in our CW family.

For example :

You want to know who are the 10, 20, 30, 50 ... best batsmen of all time. Just click here and save everyone the trouble of getting to blows with you.

Conversely, you want to know who is the worst batsman ever in the history of the game. Here it is.

You are not able to decide between Afridi and Jessop as to the greatest entertainer of all time? No Problem. I give it to you free with no fighting :)

Similarly you could go on to find out the

I could go on and on. So stop arguing about things that a computer can tell you.

See I did make a Pundit out of you :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Haha, yeah SJS. It is some thing which is grinding my cricketing gears for a while as well. A lot of people just put stats and use it to decide which player is better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Before the mods slap me on the wrist for advertising on the forum, I must quickl;y inform that I am just doing social servise as well as helping to bring about peaceful resolutions to so many arguments in our CW family.

For example :

You want to know who are the 10, 20, 30, 50 ... best batsmen of all time. Just click here and save everyone the trouble of getting to blows with you.

Conversely, you want to know who is the worst batsman ever in the history of the game. Here it is.

You are not able to decide between Afridi and Jessop as to the greatest entertainer of all time? No Problem. I give it to you free with no fighting :)

Similarly you could go on to find out the

I could go on and on. So stop arguing about things that a computer can tell you.

See I did make a Pundit out of you :)
Equally, there are a number of pundits out there who might improve their punditry with a few visits.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
A lot of people just put stats and use it to decide which player is better.
*SHRUG*, depends how you use them. SJS just posted a three parter on spinners in Australia based purely on stats. A cricinfo page does very little, but stats properly analyzed give you a lot.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
*SHRUG*, depends how you use them. SJS just posted a three parter on spinners in Australia based purely on stats. A cricinfo page does very little, but stats properly analyzed give you a lot.
*SHRUG* Erm, I do know that and have said the same SEVERAL times. Problem is, a lot of people do not do that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Absolutely. Stats need to be analysed and also put in context and even then you draw conclusions cautiously as you may see from my conclusions on that report but here when someone asks a list of ten (or 100) best batsmen of all time, the inclusion (or exclusion) of some is defended purely on the basis of averages.

This is not using stats. This is worse than abusing them. This is to give up one's right to think. If people are going to say WG should not be on the best 100 batsmen of all time because he averaged 32 in tests then they are not using stats, they are simply admitting that they do not understand anything about the game of cricket except the digits and those two in the most basic form.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I may have given figures to show that Murali fares poorly in Australia which is what the figures say but my conclusion from that is not that Murali is not a great bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Absolutely. Stats need to be analysed and also put in context and even then you draw conclusions cautiously as you may see from my conclusions on that report but here when someone asks a list of ten (or 100) best batsmen of all time, the inclusion (or exclusion) of some is defended purely on the basis of averages.

This is not using stats. This is worse than abusing them. This is to give up one's right to think. If people are going to say WG should not be on the best 100 batsmen of all time because he averaged 32 in tests then they are not using stats, they are simply admitting that they do not understand anything about the game of cricket except the digits and those two in the most basic form.
Absolutely.

Worse still, they do not understand how cricket was at the time, nor how best to use averages.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I may have given figures to show that Murali fares poorly in Australia which is what the figures say but my conclusion from that is not that Murali is not a great bowler.
Now but it shows how Murali suffers more in Australia than other spin bowlers of the past - which is what it was intended to do.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Now but it shows how Murali suffers more in Australia than other spin bowlers of the past - which is what it was intended to do.
Sure that he does. Its undeniable. And with two tours its slightly worse than Lillee's single tour of three tests. :)

BTW Harbhajan has a terrible terrible record in Australia. 1 wkt for 169 runs at a strike rate of 210 !! Fortunately, its still just one test match. If he has a bad tour this time around he may join Murali :)

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, yeah SJS. It is some thing which is grinding my cricketing gears for a while as well. A lot of people just put stats and use it to decide which player is better.
Without wanting to sound like a broken record - too true, too true.

I laughed pretty hard at the opening post as well, SJS can be really funny sometimes and his sig is an opinion I share as well.

Look, I hope people don't see this stuff as a personal attack, but it is stuff I feel very strongly about, and feel it is a huge issue in discussing cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I know it's not the point that SJS was making (rather the exact opposite of), but how impressive is the Hobbs/Sutcliffe opening combo's average? :ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
Just a question SJS. You say that it shouldn't be decided on just averages but that top 100 list goes on averages. Isn't that a bit contradictory?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Just a question SJS. You say that it shouldn't be decided on just averages but that top 100 list goes on averages. Isn't that a bit contradictory?
Look at my left chhek and try guessing where my tongue is :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I know it's not the point that SJS was making (rather the exact opposite of), but how impressive is the Hobbs/Sutcliffe opening combo's average? :ph34r:
I see what you are saying BB. It cant be anyone's case and it certainly hasn't EVER been mine that stats are useless. They important without doubt but complete reliance on stats and drawing simplistic conclusions is today the bane of discussing cricket with most people. This is what is my lament.

Unfortunately there is a propensity of media (electronic as well as print) 'experts' to write and speak using media as their major props which has brought about a massive decline in the ability of the new cricket fan to look at the game beyond figures.