• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your top ten TEST bowlers of ALL-TIME

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I meant to say that I agree with Sir Curtly and Sir Andy receiving their knighthoods. They were exceptional during their careers. I don't quite see Richie in that same light and in my onion I don't feel like he is fully deserving of the honor.
More to the point, what's this onion you speak of? Is it like a multi layered opinion that makes you cry?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Auto correct changes everything.

Why are we grading my posts?
I'm not. I'm genuinly interested in knowing if (and when) the Caribbean has dumped British English in favour of the Yanki version. I've honestly never noticed it or given it thoght until now.

Slifer

International Captain
Yeah me neither. I've lived in the US for years and still spell the British i e the correct way when it comes to English. Confuses quite a few people, especially Hispanics who I interact with but I like to remind them that the US did not invent the English language.

the big bambino

International Captain
Thank you. Finally someone gets it. The 80s are made out to be some era in which every bowling attack was full of deadly fast bowlers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Apart from the West Indies, most lineups had one great bowler, that's it. Attacks as a whole were hardly unplayable
Cheers for that. In fact it seemed it wasn't a test match at all when other teams were playing after watching the WI. Though that was down to the fact the WI played at such a superior level.

AWTA. Imo the best decade for fast bowling (that I've observed) has been the 90s where most teams had at least 2 very good to great fast bowlers for most of he decade, some in the lineup at the same time:

RSA: De Villiers, Donald, Pollock
Oz: Fleming, Reifel, Mcgrath, Gillespie, Mcdermott
Pak: Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib
WI: Walsh Amby, Bishop
Eng: Gough, Fraser, Caddick
Zim: Streak
Ind: Prasad, Srinath
SL: Vaas
Nz: Cairns, Bond (i know very briefly).

Yes I know many of the above bowlers played/debuted towards the tail end of the decade still doesn't detract from my overall point.
I agree fine attacks there but always felt the majority were playable. Aus (with Warne to that list) were too good and SA struggled only against Aus. But after Waqar's injuries reduced his impact Pakistan could be managed for runs. In fact though they appeared all together the 3 Pakistani bowlers almost missed each other's peaks. Waqar and Wasim were dreamlike in the early 90s. Then Waqar descended from that level from abt the mid 90s. Akram then began to age by the late 90s while Akhtar's aeroplane didn't really take off until the new decade. It could be said that if oppositions could get past the "names" they would find Pakistan playable, with the qualification highlighted being the exception.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I set up UK English as the default language on my phone so my British words don't get auto corrected to their bastardised American versions. Notice how "bastardised" doesn't end with -ized.