• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your top ten TEST bowlers of ALL-TIME

Besides since when you have started to give value to those ICC ratings, Remember Sobers, Botham Allrounder ratings
Lets not get into an allrounders debate on this forum because neither is this the right thread nor is either of us likely to convince the other as I have my fairly valid reasons to consider Imran the best allrounder ever & you have yours to consider Sobers better.

You changes statements and opinions faster than a chameleon changes colors.
Nah,have always placed Akram in my top 5 ever(you may check my previous posts,if u don't trust) which means I rate him very highly but I seem to lose my control while discussing Imran Khan.:laugh:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Nah,have always placed Akram in my top 5 ever(you may check my previous posts,if u don't trust) which means I rate him very highly but I seem to lose my control while discussing Imran Khan.:laugh:
That's why until Yesterday Akram was nowhere close to Imran as a bowler and suddenly he becomes 4. Anyways I couldn't care less about your opinions on anything related to cricket because you obviously bring so much bias into any discussion.

I have had enough, Over to my Ignore list my friend. Have fun.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I have a list, but I can't rank them tbh. Any ranking would be even more arbitary than usual and I can't even decide on a number one, so will have to abstain from this one.
AWTA, but as you, I'll go ahead and make a list anyway. It'll probably change tomorrow, and not just the order either.

Malcolm Marshall
SF Barnes
Imran Khan
Bill O' Reilly
Dennis Lillee
Wasim Akram
Curtly Ambrose
Richard Hadlee
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralidaran

Pretty happy with that list tbh.

RE: Imran vs Akram debate. I tend to agree with Sanz on this. The difference between Imran and Wasim is not as great as people on CW make it seem. Wasim achieved many great feats and he did while battling diabetes and some very poor eyesight in one of his eyes along with many other problems with his body. He adjusted himself to be a great bowler despite all these setbacks. That said, Imran > Akram.

Slifer

International Captain
Originally Posted by Slifer
Marshall/McGrath
Hadlee
Imran
Murali
Ambrose
Warne
Trueman
Donald
Akram

Please tell me who to give ten points to: Marshall or McGrath?

No ties please.

Revised:

Marshall
Mcgrath
Hadlee
Imran
Murali
Ambrose
Warne
Trueman
Donald
Akram

shortpitched713

International Captain
1. Muttiah Muralitharan
2. Shane Warne
3. Richard Hadlee
4. Glenn McGrath
5. Sydney Barnes
6. Curtly Ambrose
7. Malcolm Marshall
8. Imran Khan
9. Clarrie Grimmett
10. Courtney Walsh

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
In spite of the debatable nature of that statement, being the worst Test team doesn't make someone not Test standard.

Zimbabwe, England and New Zealand in 1999 were competing not to be the worst Test team in The World. There was no question that all three were easily Test-standard. Bangladesh, on the other hand, have never been remotely close to Test-standard.

Only one team in the 20th-century was not Test-standard, that being New Zealand in the 1930s and 1950s. Bangladesh were then not Test-standard from 2000 to the day of this post.
Contradicting yourself there Richard. Bad form.

subshakerz

International Coach
And how does he? 2/3rds of his wickets are upper-middle order which suggests Warne got batsmen out that McGrath couldn't and were hence settled.
Obivously the majority of your wicket are going to be upper-middle, given that there are more such batting positions in a team. But his percentage of lower order wickets (37%) is higher than all of the other great bowlers listed, even the spinner Murali.

Really, so much rubbish here that I insult myself by arguing. There are many tests that Warne did better than McGrath and he 'stemmed the tide' and it would be equally as stupid to say that without Warne, the main man, McGrath wouldn't do as well - which can actually be statistically verified..
Really? I struggle to think of an occasion when Warne was absent and McGrath was present and the attack struggled. In fact, McGrath's average is tests played without Warne remains pretty much the same.

His tests come either when he was green, in which he has ridiculously bad figures and in that period.

And he does have good figures against them. Last series he took at avg. of 30 and SR of 60 in India. And he missed the best pitch to bowl against India, a pitch where Clarke took 6 for 9.
Give me a break, an average of 30 and a strike rate of 60 are supposed to be impressive? His best was 6/125, hardly a great effort. What you fail to mention is that his opposite spinners Kumble and Harbajan completely outbowled Warne in the series. Face it, even at his best, he couldnt run through an Indian side on spinning wickets.

That's rubbish. Which noticeable edge? They scored runs off him as well as anyone. Just because he took Lara's wicket often doesn't mean Lara didn't score mountains of runs against him and Australia.

I think McGrath dealt with many a batsman well and often the best batsmen in the opposition. However, it is not always the best batsman of the opposition that is performing the best in a certain match or in a certain instance and they are more dangerous than their better partners. It is just as important to get these fellows out, which Warne has done more than anyone. This is something stats won't tell you, how often, when needed, Warne changed the game around.
But taking Lara's and Tendulkar's wicket more than anyone does say that McGrath overall was succesful in combatting them and he generally got the better of their exchanges. Cant say the same for Warne, who usually ended on the receiving end. And other good players of spin have dominated Warne as well, including Salim Malik, Sidhu, and Kevin Peitersen. How many players have completely dominated McGrath?

To me it doesn't. Their aren't as many pitches conducive to spin as they are to pace, and especially in Australia, so I think Warne is greatly hindered on that aspect.
So what? McGrath was hindered in the sub-continent, but performed well there.

For me, neither Marshall nor McGrath trump Lillee as the greatest fast bowler of all time. And he, like Warne, has an 'imperfect' record. Warne's contemporaries and Lillee's both rank them the greatest in their respective disciplines if not of all-time. So not only do I have a loose definition of the 'greatest bowler ever' but so do most cricket pundits and a lot of those guys actually have claim for the title itself.
Not all of his comtemporaries rank him the best bowler ever, and most good players of spin such as Mark Waugh, Salim Malik, Kevin Peitersen and Sidhu rated Murali higher.

Aside from mentioning his contemporaries, you have yet to give one convincing reason Warne is better than McGrath.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Interesting that batting is percieved to be alot easier these days when arguably 6 of the best 12 or so bowlers ever have played alot of their cricket over the past 10-15 years -
Ambrose
Donald
Warne
Murali
McGrath
Wasim

Plus the likes of Bishop, Walsh, Waqar who would probably make a top 25.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
RE: Imran vs Akram debate. I tend to agree with Sanz on this. The difference between Imran and Wasim is not as great as people on CW make it seem. Wasim achieved many great feats and he did while battling diabetes and some very poor eyesight in one of his eyes along with many other problems with his body. He adjusted himself to be a great bowler despite all these setbacks. That said, Imran > Akram.
Yeah I dont have a problem with people saying Imran > Akram, it basically comes down to people's personal opinion. But making statements like 'Akram is nowhere near Imran as a bowler' or 'Imran achieved much more than Akram' etc are pretty ignorant and highly biased opinions.

I personally prefer Akram over Imran but I dont think I could make up a reasonable argument to say that one was better than the other and neither do I see any valid arguments from those who say Imran was much better than Akram.

funnygirl

State Regular
Yes, It is my ignore list and I can put whoever I want to ignore.
:laugh: Is this a pre school class. Don't get so emotional over such petty issues .It is fun ,isn't it ?If each and every one has the same opinion ,whats the point of these discussions.

Apart from his Imran crush BS is a nice bloke .:unsure:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting that batting is percieved to be alot easier these days when arguably 6 of the best 12 or so bowlers ever have played alot of their cricket over the past 10-15 years -
Ambrose
Donald
Warne
Murali
McGrath
Wasim

Plus the likes of Bishop, Walsh, Waqar who would probably make a top 25.
Its also true that since a lot mor cricket is played these days, bowlers end up having more wickets against their name and most are swayed by the aggregate runs and aggregate wickets.

By the early nineteen sixties, only six bowlers in the history of the game had taken 200 wickets in test matches. Trueman, Statham and bedser from England - Benaud, Lindwall and Grimett from Australia. After 90 years of test cricket !

Remember only 326 tests were played in the first 73 years of test cricket and we have already played 710 in the last 17 !!