• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies - Heading Where?

Can West Indies Be Among The Top 3 Cricketing Nations Again?

• Yes?

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No?

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Can't Say?

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Hi, I was a fan of West Indies during 1996 World Cup but since then there is something seriously wrong with them... Cricket was always great when West Indies were on top of their game! They have slipped from best to good now with two straight losses against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe wats happening? Are the minnows improving or is it the West Indies thats slipping from bad to worst?

Where are they going to be in the next 5 years? Feel so bad for them!

Pls We want them back...:huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hi, I was a fan of West Indies during 1996 World Cup but since then there is something seriously wrong with them...
Since then? :huh:
Cricket was always great when West Indies were on top of their game!
Do you remember those days between 1976 and 1986? :huh:
They have slipped from best to good now with two straight losses against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe wats happening? Are the minnows improving or is it the West Indies thats slipping from bad to worst?
When did they lose a ODI to Bangladesh? :huh:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
They should line-up the crazy people in charge of the game and have them shot at until they commit to shaping up financially and structurally otherwise Windies Cricket is doomed

sideshowtim

Banned
Ummm no......Simply a resturcturing and more professionalism needed.
"Simply". You make it sound so easy.

It sounds like a bit of a culture problem to me. From what I understand, a record number of kids are turning to basketball and football. It seems cricket is losing relevance in the West Indian nations culture....and this is a problem in itself. Perhaps repairing it is something only the success of the team can buy? I'm not sure....Perhaps it's simply a marketing thing?

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
They have lost the fighting spirit in them... U can see that clearly during Zim's 1st Odi... Mr. Richard they lost in T20 against B.Desh,which is also considered a loss... Hope U remember... Make up ur memory...

Last edited:

sideshowtim

Banned
They have lost the fighting spirit in them... U can see that clearly during Zim's 1st Odi... Mr. Richard they lost in T20 against B.Desh thats also considered a loss... Hope U remmember... Make up ur memory...
Fighting spirit? That's a small part of it. The more serious part is the lack of quality cricketers.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
"Simply". You make it sound so easy.

It sounds like a bit of a culture problem to me. From what I understand, a record number of kids are turning to basketball and football. It seems cricket is losing relevance in the West Indian nations culture....and this is a problem in itself. Perhaps repairing it is something only the success of the team can buy? I'm not sure....Perhaps it's simply a marketing thing?
No. Numerous reports have highlighted the problems and solutions. A simple implementation of the recommendations will see improvements in 5-10 years. Problem is the recommendations call for some people to lose their seats on the board.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
They have lost the fighting spirit in them... U can see that clearly during Zim's 1st Odi... Mr. Richard they lost in T20 against B.Desh,which is also considered a loss... Hope U remember... Make up ur memory...
I don't remember that game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Richard they lost in T20 against B.Desh,which is also considered a loss... Hope U remember... Make up ur memory...
:laugh: Nah, don't remember, didn't even know it happened I don't think... either way, anyone can lose a 20-over match, Australia lost one to Zimbabwe too, don't see anything of this light being written about them... thought this was about losing cricket matches.

Last edited:

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Wat the reason west Indies got out of T20 World? Hope u remmember now... Anyways the topic is about how West Indies can get back in form... Do people in Carribean Still like Cricket? If they do West Indies Can hit back anytime...

JBMAC

State Captain
West Indies Cricket is at a crossroads.Since each of the islands which comprise the WI has been granted their Independence they have struggled to put a quality team on the park because of political infighting.
At present there is more Basketball "money" being put into West Indies sport and the kids that used to play Cricket are now being enticed away by the promises of such large sums and you will find those same kids playing basketball in the streets where they used to play Cricket.
IMPO WI Cricket needs an injection of funds to set up a properly run Academy along the lines of Cricket Australia,take away the "infighting"(God knows how) and instilling some pride and attitude into up and coming players.Then, and only then< will you see a marked resurgence of the game in West Indies.
It will take time but it can happen...whether or not it does is anybody's guess

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's inconceivable that West Indies won't rise to prominence again. Presuming the world won't end for another 100 years or so.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
West Indies Cricket is at a crossroads.Since each of the islands which comprise the WI has been granted their Independence they have struggled to put a quality team on the park because of political infighting.
At present there is more Basketball "money" being put into West Indies sport and the kids that used to play Cricket are now being enticed away by the promises of such large sums and you will find those same kids playing basketball in the streets where they used to play Cricket.
IMPO WI Cricket needs an injection of funds to set up a properly run Academy along the lines of Cricket Australia,take away the "infighting"(God knows how) and instilling some pride and attitude into up and coming players.Then, and only then< will you see a marked resurgence of the game in West Indies.
It will take time but it can happen...whether or not it does is anybody's guess
Don't think that holds water. Jamaica and Trindad & Tobago gained independence in 1962 and Guyana and Barbados in 1966. The Windies did ok in the 70s & 80s as I recall.