• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boyc wants 4-day tests

Fiery

Banned
'The pace of life has changed'

Boycott suggests four-day floodlit Tests

November 29, 2007

'People today have jobs and they don't want a Test match to last five days' © Getty Images

Geoff Boycott has urged the game's administrators to consider revamping Test cricket to make it more appealing to a modern audience.

He said that crowds at recent Tests in Australia, India and South Africa had shown that in most countries the public no longer bought into the traditional five-day format.

"I think the national boards of all the countries should take responsibility," Boycott told Cricinfo. "The pace of life has changed. [Years ago] an India-Pakistan Test would be sold out twice over and you wouldn't be able to get a seat. But people today have jobs and they don't want a Test match to last five days.

"I would recommend four-day Tests. I would try to increase the over-rate, because people want to pack more into life, and I would play day-night Tests. Kerry Packer tried it in 1977-78 and '78-79. He had a few Tests that were played at night and they got good crowds. I think it is time the administrators did something about this.

"India is one of the places to try it because their board is forward-looking. It can do whatever it wants: it is wealthy and powerful and it can get crowds in at night."

In the second season of World Series Cricket the Supertests were played over four days starting at 2.30pm and continuing until 10.30pm with shortened intervals. The total playing time was 30 hours - the same as in a normal Test - and the matches were played under lights. They were popular and attracted much higher audiences than the traditional daytime games.

© Cricinfo

Fiery

Banned
Obviously a lot of support for Boyc's idea then.

Maybe he just got bored of smacking up his wife and decided to come up with some loopy idea for the papers to jump on.

*shrugs*

Dissector

International Debutant
I don't think it's a crazy idea. Test audiences are pitiful apart from England, Australia and to some extent India. Why not try this out in countries like South Africa and Sri Lanka where test audiences are small.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I don't think it's a crazy idea. Test audiences are pitiful apart from England, Australia and to some extent India. Why not try this out in countries like South Africa and Sri Lanka where test audiences are small.
What reason is there to think that compromising the game will improve audiences?

That principle, taken to its endpoint, ends up with us all playing 20/20 rather than Tests...

pasag

RTDAS
If there were no problems with the red ball under lights I'd really support looking into having at least the last session under lights. Would be a great idea for access for people coming home plus we'd be rid of the stupid bad light scenarios that plague the game.

pasag

RTDAS
What reason is there to think that compromising the game will improve audiences?

That principle, taken to its endpoint, ends up with us all playing 20/20 rather than Tests...
Yeah, but taking it to the other end point means no one watches and the game dies out. The point is to find a balance where you don't compromise the basics and fundamentals of the game, but at the same time try and tweak whatever you can to increase the games stature and popularity.

Dissector

International Debutant
It might bring in audiences by creating a more convenient time for both stadium and tv audiences. I don't see any harm in trying it. If it doesn't work they can scrap it. If it does work and build audiences, it will put test cricket on a far more solid foundation.

Dissector

International Debutant
I think another advantage is that tests can be much more closely tailored around the weekend. Right now the problem is that is that test don't always go full distance on the fifth day so that keeping Sunday as the fifth day is sometimes a waste.

With the four-day format you could schedule every test to begin on Thursday and end on Sunday. With the day-night format you would probably get a good audience on Friday night. Then you would have the final two days on the weekend hopefully before packed audiences.

pup11

International Coach
If there were no problems with the red ball under lights I'd really support looking into having at least the last session under lights. Would be a great idea for access for people coming home plus we'd be rid of the stupid bad light scenarios that plague the game.
I agree with you test under lights would be an interesting concept and it is probably something that the longer form of the game needs to bring in larger crowds, but as you said visibility of the red ball under lights is a big issue its very hard to sight under lights both for the batsmen and the fielders so that could be a big hurdle.
Anyways its just another idea from Boycott and i don't think such an idea is going to be implemented anytime soon.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
'The pace of life has changed'

Boycott suggests four-day floodlit Tests

November 29, 2007

'People today have jobs and they don't want a Test match to last five days' © Getty Images

Geoff Boycott has urged the game's administrators to consider revamping Test cricket to make it more appealing to a modern audience.

He said that crowds at recent Tests in Australia, India and South Africa had shown that in most countries the public no longer bought into the traditional five-day format.

"I think the national boards of all the countries should take responsibility," Boycott told Cricinfo. "The pace of life has changed. [Years ago] an India-Pakistan Test would be sold out twice over and you wouldn't be able to get a seat. But people today have jobs and they don't want a Test match to last five days.

"I would recommend four-day Tests. I would try to increase the over-rate, because people want to pack more into life, and I would play day-night Tests. Kerry Packer tried it in 1977-78 and '78-79. He had a few Tests that were played at night and they got good crowds. I think it is time the administrators did something about this.

"India is one of the places to try it because their board is forward-looking. It can do whatever it wants: it is wealthy and powerful and it can get crowds in at night."

In the second season of World Series Cricket the Supertests were played over four days starting at 2.30pm and continuing until 10.30pm with shortened intervals. The total playing time was 30 hours - the same as in a normal Test - and the matches were played under lights. They were popular and attracted much higher audiences than the traditional daytime games.

© Cricinfo
Does old Geoff think that working for a living is an invention of the 21st Century?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Anyway a test reduced by a day is only going to lead to more draws.. what boyc could have suggested was bring in the use of technology the common concensus is it'll speed up the game.

to quote martin williams "international matches would be shorter and bowlers would probably get a slight advantage." martin is against the use of technology

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Simple solution to that is use orange balls instead of red ones. Trouble is, that requires TV companies to use colour monitors instead of monochrome ones. 8-) Which they couldn't possibly do?

Have thought for ages that day\night Tests and First-Class games would be a terrific idea, at least in places like Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka and New Zealand.

Four-day Tests, though - dreadful idea. Would be far happier to have a limit on the number of days chucked-out completely and have a statutory minimum of 450 overs and hopefully something to do a decent job on the speeding-up over over-rates that should have been done 30-odd years ago.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
450-over minimum would be awesome but obviously a timeless test in terms of days isn't practical :(