• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali's Record

Fiery

Banned
This thread reminds me of when one of my friends was talking about Claudia Schiffer, and said "She's hardly attractive - her gums stick out a little when she smiles! URGH!"

As for Murali's action, I must admit that I always suspected there was something fishy about it, until I read Justin Langer's article about how he too used to think Murali's action was suspect - but changed his mind after looking at detailed replays and was thoroughly convinced now that it wasn't. If it's good enough for Langer, it's good enough for me.
Langer's a moron

pasag

RTDAS
Please bare in mind this is not a Murali v Warne thread, it's not got a thing to do with anone's thoughts on his action, it's purely an attempt to apply the same criterion/ crieria to his record as that which has been applied to other players on this forum.
The thread starter was pretty clear here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That is true now, but not all that long ago yourself and a few others dismissed him as a green top bully unworthy of greatness. Most have now, to their credit, admitted they were wrong.:cool:
Be interested to see those "few others"? Can only ever remember BhupinderSingh saying that, and even he didn't say it for very long.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillee is an all time great bowler, and his record in the subcontinent does not really exist (too small a sample). It is a blot only in the sense that there are others, who played in the same era, who did everything he did, plus did it in more countries.

Murali is an all time great spinner, and his record in Australia and India is a blot on his record. But there is no one else who did well everywhere he did and doesn't have similar blots on his record.

Warne is an all time great spinner, and his record in India and West Indies is a blot on his record. But there is no one else who did well everywhere he did and doesn't have similar blots on his record.

It's really that simple. And in any case, the latter two may be all time great spinners, but I don't like calling them all time great bowlers (there have been fast bowlers who could do demolition jobs on a wearing pitch, as well as them, plus could destroy people on first day of a Test match too). That would confuse them with the guys that really win matches. :ph34r:

In fact, in an all time team, I would have Lillee before either of them. And it wouldn't be a hard decision either.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes,too small a sample but what about the number of ocassions on which he refused to tour subcontinent with lame excuses?
Can you show any documented evidence of Lillee refusing to tour subcontinent by giving lame excuses ?

I am sorry but I have to ask this because I have heard it everytime Lillee is discussed but never have I read or seen anything that supports this claim.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes,too small a sample but what about the number of ocassions on which he refused to tour subcontinent with lame excuses?
To be frank, I wouldn't want to tour Pakistan as a fast bowler either (and India/Sri Lanka). Plus, I've read a lot of things about Lillee, and not one person who knew him suggests that he would do something like that.

He bowled a crap load of overs because he was by far the best player in the Aussie side, and Chappelli over bowled him a lot. He sucked it up and did it - and got results too. Plus, he did bowl well in flat pitches when he encountered them elsewhere. It's not in his personality to drop out of tours like that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lillee is an all time great bowler, and his record in the subcontinent does not really exist (too small a sample). It is a blot only in the sense that there are others, who played in the same era, who did everything he did, plus did it in more countries.

Murali is an all time great spinner, and his record in Australia and India is a blot on his record. But there is no one else who did well everywhere he did and doesn't have similar blots on his record.

Warne is an all time great spinner, and his record in India and West Indies is a blot on his record. But there is no one else who did well everywhere he did and doesn't have similar blots on his record.

It's really that simple. And in any case, the latter two may be all time great spinners, but I don't like calling them all time great bowlers (there have been fast bowlers who could do demolition jobs on a wearing pitch, as well as them, plus could destroy people on first day of a Test match too). That would confuse them with the guys that really win matches. :ph34r:

In fact, in an all time team, I would have Lillee before either of them. And it wouldn't be a hard decision either.
Sometimes I wonder whether this persona you have against spin bowling is you taking the piss, or you really lack the true knowledge of cricket.

Because you're such a good poster I'm going to assume you are taking the piss most of the time, because it makes no sense for you not to understand the brilliance of the art of spin bowling, and how vital it is to test match cricket.

You couldn't name more than 5-7 fast bowlers in history that were better bowlers overall than Warne and Murali IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sometimes I wonder whether this persona you have against spin bowling is you taking the piss, or you really lack the true knowledge of cricket.
Haha.

because it makes no sense for you not to understand the brilliance of the art of spin bowling, and how vital it is to test match cricket.
I've conceded that on occasion they can sometimes be useful. You aren't getting any more out of me. :ph34r:

You couldn't name more than 5-7 fast bowlers in history that were better bowlers overall than Warne and Murali IMO.
Forget history, here are seven who've played in the last twenty years: Marshall, Ambrose, Imran, Wasim, Hadlee, McGrath, Donald.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF, I'd say I'm very happy there'd be quite a few...

To name a few... Marshall, Donald, Hadlee, Ambrose, McGrath, Lindwall, Lillee, Bedser, Davidson, Statham, Imran Khan, Garner, Adcock, Fazal Mahmood, Trueman, Miller, Wasim Akram, Holding, Johnston, Peter Pollock, Bishop, Walsh, Shaun Pollock for the first half of his career, Waqar for the first quarter(ish) of his career. There are plenty others who I'd certainly at the very least consider.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha.

I've conceded that on occasion they can sometimes be useful. You aren't getting any more out of me. :ph34r:

Forget history, here are seven who've played in the last twenty years: Marshall, Ambrose, Imran, Wasim, Hadlee, McGrath, Donald.
Warne ****s on Donald, I'm sorry because I'm a Donald fan, but Warne was a much much better bowler. Murali too.

The rest are close calls, but I'd take Warne over Wasim. That whole 'twenty year' claim isn't as extravagant as you claim either since you've chosen an era with many of the great fast bowlers in history.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

To name a few... Marshall, Donald, Hadlee, Ambrose, McGrath, Lindwall, Lillee, Bedser, Davidson, Statham, Imran Khan, Garner, Adcock, Fazal Mahmood, Trueman, Miller, Wasim Akram, Holding, Johnston, Peter Pollock, Bishop, Walsh, Shaun Pollock for the first half of his career, Waqar for the first quarter(ish) of his career. There are plenty others who I'd certainly at the very least consider.
How is Walsh honestly going to go down as a better bowler than Warne and Murali Richard?

shortpitched713

International Captain

Certainly comparable bowlers statistically. But can they bowl 30 over spells?

...Thought so.