• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Test Match.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
"It was hoped by the ICC that the new ranking system would help maintain interest in Test cricket in nations where one-day cricket is more popular. The simplicity of the ranking system has proven successful, although the rotation system is currently being challenged by India (who wish to play more frequently against the more financially attractive opposition such as England and Australia)".

Whats your feling on the ranking system. The quote suggest its simplicity is the key, but is it simple and I cant see how general folk get any idea about it.

the ida about a tournment or a cup is simple.."win this many matches, usually more than any one else and the cups yours (in a defined period (tournment)).

I think a world cup test match is possible , its just your defined period to complete the tournment is extremely long .. well the round robin stage is bound to be. but ever since the 1992 wc teams have been placed in pools to complete the round robin... and i bbelieve thats the solution for a test match wc.

break the 9 test teams up into 3 pools, with each team in their pool to complete a 3 match series home and away, each pool has 2 years to complete this round robin stage. pools will be made up on current rankings (seeded).

points are won like they are or similar to a domestic 4 day comp.
out right win 8 points (inc 1st inn lead)
out right win 6 points (excl " " " )
Draw 4 points (inc 1st inn lead )
Draw 2 points (excl " ")
loss 2 points. (inc 1st inn lead)
loss 0 points (exc " " ")

Pool A: Australia, India, New Zealand
Pool B: England, Sri Lanka, West Indies
Pool C: South Africa, Pakinstan, Bangladesh.

At the most earliest:
The two teams with the highest amount of points from any group, play a 5 match test series at the home of the team that had the highest points overall. so 1st and 2nd. the point system is not used in this series. if the series is a draw they are joint holders of the world cup.

then two years off for all teams to continue as per usual frank worrel ashes and all those historic series.

then once again : the pools are re seeded based on final points from the round robin stage of the pervious tournment.

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
just to clarify the "pools" 3 teams 2 series X 3 matches = 90 days (30 days per country) to complete all matches.. 2 years is ample time..

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I think it would be better to have a 3 or 5 match test series between the 1 and 2 ranked teams on the ICC test team rankings after every 2 years and whichever team wins that series should be test cricket champions for the next 2 years!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You could have a Test cricket championship finish in less than three months, with each team playing a week and having a week's rest. The ODI WC took two months.

Once every four years - sounds like a good idea to me.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
I think it would be better to have a 3 or 5 match test series between the 1 and 2 ranked teams on the ICC test team rankings after every 2 years and whichever team wins that series should be test cricket champions for the next 2 years!
This is a good idea. Rather than having a separate tournament, its better to have a 3-5 match series be conducted between top 2 test sides (decided upon ICC test ranking)