• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb language on the cricket field

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't play cricket but always tell people to GAGF in work. Successfully got dire into their everyday lexicon, now GAGF. Getting to work on gun next one thinks.

Actually got EWS's dire pic circulating round my office
Gun's not really a CW term.

Although I guess it may be for Brits.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Yeah, people don't really use it as an adjective much over here. I never had done prior to CW. When I say it people know what I mean but think I am a bit weird.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

It's creeping into our commentators' vocabulary by whatever route; in recent weeks both Nasser & Nick Knight have used it as an adjective.

Fully expecting Bumble to end a pontification with "for mine" shortly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A British band used the term "you love like a gun, the power is strong" as far back as 1990 (song was composed in 1989).

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
A British band used the term "you love like a gun, the power is strong" as far back as 1990 (song was composed in 1989).
Fairly sure the word 'gun' has been used as a noun for a long, long time though in the English language. So your needless mention of the fact that song was written a year before it was released is at the far end of the irrelevancy scale.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well you'll forgive me for not being terribly bothered about whether I wasted a handful of characters TBH. It didn't cost me much.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Fairly sure the word 'gun' has been used as a noun for a long, long time though in the English language. So your needless mention of the fact that song was written a year before it was released is at the far end of the irrelevancy scale.
I was shocked to see the AK-47 described as gun...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's not CW speak, but ever since someone made a post about how Mark Nicholas always says "sixer" I've been calling all the 6-car trains "sixers."

"Do you wanna get this one, or shall we wait for the Ellesmere Port, that's a sixer" DIRE

Last edited: