• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian coach - Gary Kirsten

jeevan

International 12th Man
Has the generously proportioned lady sung yet?
If not, is it still a bird in the bush or veld or outfield?

Hope he lasts more than 2 years, or for the period
when we would really need the coaching in batting when
the present middle order starts to retire.

Also hope that it's been made clear that this position
is a little less than that of a pontificating warlord. Or even
below captain. Just one stripe above the bowling and fielding
coaches would be best.

biased indian

International Coach
BCCI announcing this before it's been fully completed? Haven't they learnt from the Ford debacle?
it only the newspaper and newschannel thats flashing it...i thnk wht BCCi have said is they have shortlisted some 30 people and one among them will be the coach..i think we will have a coach before australian tour..

and we can have one more thing to blame the big defeat :)

Fusion

Global Moderator
I find it interesting that both the Pakistani and Indian boards have hired coaches that seem to compliment strengths they already possess. Pakistan is perceived as being stronger in bowling than batting, and yet PCB hired a former bowler as their coach. India's strength is perceived to be their batting. After hiring Chappell, they are again going with a former batsman as their head coach. I'm not so sure about this approach. I think unless you can hire a strong assistant coach to work on the other side, a team should look to improve its weakness and hire the coach most qualified in that department.

jeevan

International 12th Man
I find it interesting that both the Pakistani and Indian boards have hired coaches that seem to compliment strengths they already possess. Pakistan is perceived as being stronger in bowling than batting, and yet PCB hired a former bowler as their coach. India's strength is perceived to be their batting. After hiring Chappell, they are again going with a former batsman as their head coach. I'm not so sure about this approach. I think unless you can hire a strong assistant coach to work on the other side, a team should look to improve its weakness and hire the coach most qualified in that department.
India already have a bowling coach (Venkatesh Prasad) and fielding coach (Robin Singh) who have been on it since after the WC.

Also to note is that much of the batting strength is based on Tendulkar,Ganguly, Dravid (all 35 +/-) and Laxman (34). So there is a huge transition coming in the batting, eg Ganguly a year ago had said he had 18 months left in him. (Sehwag, 29, melted away so there is no test batsman outside of these with more than 20-25 tests. For ODI's Dhoni,Yuvi form a middle order, but top is wide open after the big3).

(Bowling: Kumble is 37 but most everyone else is 30 or under, with Zaheer & Harbhajan having 50+ tests each and a designated leggie succesor in Chawla being groomed for the international stage).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
With all due respect to him, What Previous coaching experience does Gary Kirsten bring with him that is required to coach a team like India ?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Gazza is a sound oke, fine cricketer a great guy and a really sound oke..

I just hope he doesn't get wasted on the madness cricket can be in the subcontinent.. And we need him in PE anyway :(

Langeveldt

Soutie
With all due respect to him, What Previous coaching experience does Gary Kirsten bring with him that is required to coach a team like India ?
He's been the Mercedes Warriors batting coach for a fair bit.. I think he could do a similarly good job as AAD did with England last summer..

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I vaguely remember Gary Kirsten being involved with the Kenya coaching set up sometime around the 2003 World cup I think he was sent as a high performance manager or something.. oh wait it was Andy Kirsten

FRAZ

International Captain
I don't think that at that level the previous specialization does make a huge huge impact on the overall coaching ability . Bob Woolmer was a gem of a coach for the bowlers too and wasn't a great great batsman either .The only ridiculous flaw that I could find about Gary Kirsten's personal self was his ridiculous spendings on his spouse . Shows his ill organized and passive mentality. How come a person like him might bring some sting or fire power to the side . I don't know why BCCI neglected this important issue!!!!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol, my cousin works in the media and he told me this yesterday and told me to keep this a secret....... so much for that!!!

Hope he does well although like Sanz, even I am not sure if whatever coaching background he has had is enough to judge his competency on.

Get the feeling that they wanted a John Wright type coach (at least in terms of approach) and have therefore settled for Kirsten.

pasag

RTDAS
You know, I really want to give him a chance, but with basically no coaching experience what's he supposed to do? They've had months and endless resources to find a decent coach and this is all they have to show for it? Very poor form imo and if I was an Indian fan I'd be pretty unhappy.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You know, I really want to give him a chance, but with basically no coaching experience what's he supposed to do? They've had months and endless resources to find a decent coach and this is all they have to show for it? Very poor form imo and if I was an Indian fan I'd be pretty unhappy.
I am too... And that is why I think it is probably his perceived "soft" image that has got him this job more than anything else...

Would love to be proved wrong, though... Reports seem to indicate that this is one choice they have made without any consultation from the senior players, unlike the past instances when the names were recommended by the senior players themselves... Dravid with Wright and Ford, Ganguly with Greg Chappell.....

Kirsten was apparently sought after and sounded out by Ravi Shastri and Sunny Gavaskar.. But I don't think with these involved, the senior players, esp. Sachin, would have been out of the loop all that much... We will see how this works out, gonna be interesting, if nothing else....