• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you walk when you are caught behind?

Do you walk when you edge a ball to the slips?

• Yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 60.5%

• Total voters

bond21

Banned
Just seeing what people here do if they edge a ball to the keeper and are given not out, will they walk or not.

I stand my ground because I have had bad decisions go my way when bowling so I even it out every chance I get.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Been done a million times before - many people are willing to play the rules to the maximum extent, some aren't.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If they used snickometers batsmen would walk, because they'd know they had 0 chance of getting away with it.

Hopefully, that'd then filter down, too.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
To be honest, if you edge a ball to the slips and you need to walk, something is seriously wrong with the umpire's eyes.

I'm assuming this thread meant "wicketkeeper", not "slips" - in which case yes, I do walk.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
obey the umpire I say, been brought up to respect the chaps in the white coats, and I'll stick to what they say.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm a walker,

The only time i've nicked the ball and not walked is when I've been on zero.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm a walker,

The only time i've nicked the ball and not walked is when I've been on zero.
That's probably more disingenuous then always not walking. Because if you have a reputation as a walker, you are exploiting it to your advantage by not walking in specific situations when it benefits you the most and creating doubt in the mind of the umpire. In my opinion, you should either always walk or always not walk.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That's probably more disingenuous then always not walking. Because if you have a reputation as a walker, you are exploiting it to your advantage by not walking in specific situations when it benefits you the most and creating doubt in the mind of the umpire. In my opinion, you should either always walk or always not walk.
I don't care. It's only happened twice ever and it was more shock/disappointment then anything,

Fiery

Banned
I have only not walked once, thinking the umpire would give me out anyway because it was so obvious. I decided to wait for the decision and the umpire remained unmoved. The fielding team were incensed and demanded that the umpire be changed. I copped a lot of abuse from the fielding team for the rest of my innings and the umpire (who was a mate) was pissed off at me and accused me after the game of "putting him in an awkward position", (although which is worse...not walking or an umpire not giving someone out when they know it was out? The latter, I believe). I felt pretty bad about it for a while anyway and have vowed to walk from now on.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I almost always walked not because of any sense of fairplay as much as a spontaneous reaction to the fact of having edged the ball. Its the same reaction as walking on being clean bowled. On two such occasions I had not been givenout till after I walked but I wasn't aware of it.

I recall two other occasions of a very very fine edge when I looked up at the umpire and walked on being declared out on one occasion and staying put on being declared not out on the other.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nah you must never walk, because you can bet your bottom dollar the guy you are bowling at who nicks it wont be.. I get angry with team mates who walk because it's a team game, and they are letting the team down..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I almost always walked not because of any sense of fairplay as much as a spontaneous reaction to the fact of having edged the ball. Its the same reaction as walking on being clean bowled. On two such occasions I had not been givenout till after I walked but I wasn't aware of it.

I recall two other occasions of a very very fine edge when I looked up at the umpire and walked on being declared out on one occasion and staying put on being declared not out on the other.
SJS is back. :notworthy