• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your top 10 TEST batsmen of all-time

Days of Grace

International Captain
I've got a new idea.

If we all post our top 10 TEST batsmen of all-time, then I will give 10 points to your no.1 batsmen, down to 1 point for your no.10 rated batsmen.

After that, I will add up the points and we will see a true top 10, based on a survey across all cricketweb members.

In my case:

1. Bradman (10 points)
2. Hobbs (9)
3. Sobers (8)
4. V. Richards (7)
5. Lara (6)
6. Tendulkar (5)
7. Hammond (4)
8. Hutton (3)
9. Sutcliffe (2)
10. Ponting (1)

I know it may be difficult, esp. the final five positions or so, but do your best, and we will see how it goes.

archie mac

International Coach
Okay this may change tomorrow:ph34r: (Grace out because of the Test restriction)

Bradman
Sobers
Hobbs
Hammond
Headly
Richards (Viv)
Tendulkar
Lara
Pollock (G)
Chappell (G)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gooch (10)
Mark Waugh (9)
Viv Richards (8)
Barry Richards (7)
Haynes (6)
Martin Crowe (5)
Dean Jones (4)
Gower (3)
Hookes (2)
Hayden (1)

Based on players I've watched.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Gooch (10)
Mark Waugh (9)
Viv Richards (8)
Barry Richards (7)
Haynes (6)
Martin Crowe (5)
Dean Jones (4)
Gower (3)
Hookes (2)
Hayden (1)

Based on players I've watched.
That may be the means by which you choose to vote, but I think we should try to vote for batsmen from all eras of test cricket. That way, we get a wider sample.

pasag

RTDAS
Bradman
Hobbs
Sobers
Headley
Hammond
Richards
Chappell
Gavaskar
Hutton
Lara

If you'd just have said batsmen, I'd have put Grace in there at two. Leaving out all current players so Tendulkar misses out. Sutcliffe unlucky and no room for Harvey or Trumper either (would all make my top 20), amongst others. Not much thought put into the order after the first three either.

HeathDavisSpeed

Judge them on their output.
Well, then Barry Richards wouldn't count. If I judge them on their output, then why not just sort the statistics for players who've scored over 5000 runs by average. That'll give you your answer. (unless you are Richard)

Perm

Well, then Barry Richards wouldn't count. If I judge them on their output, then why not just sort the statistics for players who've scored over 5000 runs by average. That'll give you your answer. (unless you are Richard)
There are other factors you have to take into consideration, not pure average.

HeathDavisSpeed

I saw him play in some game over in Australia about 10 years ago. Can't remember the details, but it a veterans game and I think he scored a century. His batting looked sublime though - especially to someone who can't bat.

Fiery

Banned
There are other factors you have to take into consideration, not pure average.
You said judge them on their output which is pretty hard to do in Richards case given he was (rightly) denied of playing test cricket

archie mac

International Coach
I saw him play in some game over in Australia about 10 years ago. Can't remember the details, but it a veterans game and I think he scored a century. His batting looked sublime though - especially to someone who can't bat.
Are you sure that was not G. Pollock?

pasag

RTDAS
The thing with Richard is that he does have an extensive cricketing knowledge and knows alot about the game and its history. It's just he chooses output over all of that. The same can't be said about a few others...