• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your top 10 TEST batsmen of all-time

shortpitched713

International Captain
Interestingly, for those of us (and I include myself here) discounting Grace from our reckoning due to the word Test being in the criteria, the Doctor played the same number of Tests (22) as George Headley, and over a similar period of years.

Make of that what you will.
His average is not really an indicator though, because he played all his matches well after his prime. Although an average of over 30 at that time was extremely good anyway.

shortpitched713

International Captain
1. Bradman
2. M.Taylor
3. Ponting
4. Hayden
5. Border
6. S.Waugh
7. Lara
8. Langer
9. M.Waugh
10. Gilchrist

Duno why people put Chappell above Border....Greg Chappell couldnt handle the West Indian pace attack....
Lara's not Australian you know... :unsure:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
His average is not really an indicator though, because he played all his matches well after his prime. Although an average of over 30 at that time was extremely good anyway.
No argument on either front there mate. He's in my top 3 of all time, though based purely on Test performances I'm torn over whether to include him in my 10. Leaning towards no.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Imagined KaZo would go there, but you?

Shoked ITBT. (sic)
Well as you can see, I clearly rated players that I've seen over those that I haven't for the simple reason that those are the ones that I've seen.

And without a doubt, Matthew Hayden has been one of the best that I've seen since I started watching cricket seriously (about 2002ish).

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
10 points - D Bradman
9 points - V Richards
8 points - B Lara
7 points - S Tendulkar
6 points - J Hobbs
5 points - G Sobers
4 points - R Ponting
3 points - B Richards
2 points - W Hammond
1 points - L Hutton

biased indian

International Coach
1. Bradman
2. M.Taylor
3. Ponting
4. Hayden
5. Border
6. S.Waugh
7. Lara
8. Langer
9. M.Waugh
10. Gilchrist

Duno why people put Chappell above Border....Greg Chappell couldnt handle the West Indian pace attack....
Wht is the criteria you followed..

they should be born in an australian city or should have a relative with an austalian city name ?????

No argument on either front there mate. He's in my top 3 of all time, though based purely on Test performances I'm torn over whether to include him in my 10. Leaning towards no.
Having an average of 32 in that era was similarto 50 average of today.Vic Trumper was the greatest test batsman of that pre WW1 era & even he has an average 39,whichmight look ordinary today but was excellent considering the extremly bowling friendly wicketson which he played.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, was waiting for a chance to throw that one back TBH. :p BhupinderSingh has beaten me to it.

Slifer

International Captain
Bradman
W Hammond
G Sobers
SRT
J Hobbs
G Chapell
S Gavaskar
V Richards
B Lara
A Border