• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your top 10 TEST batsmen of all-time

biased indian

International Coach
Don Bradman
Tendulkar
Hammond
Hobbs
Sobers
Brian Lara
Viv Richards
Headley
Chappell
Javed Maindad

Sachin so high beacuse i like his batting so much...if u insisted to take out personnel bias may be he would have come near lara

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Interestingly, for those of us (and I include myself here) discounting Grace from our reckoning due to the word Test being in the criteria, the Doctor played the same number of Tests (22) as George Headley, and over a similar period of years.

Make of that what you will.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Interestingly, for those of us (and I include myself here) discounting Grace from our reckoning due to the word Test being in the criteria, the Doctor played the same number of Tests (22) as George Headley, and over a similar period of years.

Make of that what you will.
People discount Grace because he was well past his prime before he made his Test debut and his record is modest and Headley was a young man in his prime who had a spectacular record which was cut short by the War.

I'm putting Barry Richards in, obviously on ability rather than actual achievement in Tests.

Bradman
Richards V
Richards B
Hobbs
Tendulkar
Sobers
Lara
Hammond
Headley
Hutton

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I refuse to equate Tests of the 19th-century with those of the 20th-century and beyond TBH, there's just too much about the game that was different before 1900. In any case, there's very few players of said era that I know much about anyway.

It's impossible to give a certain top-10, but off the top of my head as my head is feeling at present...

Don Bradman (obviously)
George Headley (would always go for him 2nd)
Jack Hobbs (is hard to put too many above him)
Walter Hammond
Leonard Hutton
Garfield Sobers
Everton Weekes
Sachin Tendulkar
Herbert Sutcliffe
Graeme Pollock

From four downwards you really could put them in any order, though.

bond21

Banned
1. Bradman
2. M.Taylor
3. Ponting
4. Hayden
5. Border
6. S.Waugh
7. Lara
8. Langer
9. M.Waugh
10. Gilchrist

Duno why people put Chappell above Border....Greg Chappell couldnt handle the West Indian pace attack....

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate, that's the first ranked list I can ever remember you indulging in, in my entire time on the boards. Always nice to see a bit of history. :p

EDIT - addressed to Rich.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
01. D.Bradman
02. V.Richards
03. J.Hobbs
04. G.Sobers
05. B.Lara
06. G.Chappell
07. S.Tendulkar
08. A.Border
09. W.Hammond
10. S.Gavaskar

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Bradman
2. M.Taylor
3. Ponting
4. Hayden
5. Border
6. S.Waugh
7. Lara
8. Langer
9. M.Waugh
10. Gilchrist

Duno why people put Chappell above Border....Greg Chappell couldnt handle the West Indian pace attack....
Indeed. Personally I'm just grateful that someone has finally given Mark Taylor the historical credit he so richly deserves.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mate, that's the first ranked list I can ever remember you indulging in, in my entire time on the boards. Always nice to see a bit of history. :p
As I say - it's really just the top three that I'd be happy giving a genuine ranking for - once you go down to four I'd be almost as happy to have Tendulkar as I would Hammond. You really can switch them around any old way really.

Heck, I can even stomach Vivian Richards being in a top-ten, but 2nd? 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
1. Bradman
2. M.Taylor
3. Ponting
4. Hayden
5. Border
6. S.Waugh
7. Lara
8. Langer
9. M.Waugh
10. Gilchrist

9/10 Australians. You sure you don't want to put Symonds in there instead of Lara? 8-) And nine of the top ten batsmen in the history of cricket have played in the last twenty years?

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Dubious about doing this as Im not sure it is possible and tomorrow my list could look different.

Anyway

1 Bradman
2 Grace
3 Hobbs
4 Sobers
5 G Pollock
6 Headley
7 V Richards
8 B Richards
9 Hutton
10 Ponting

Many notable exclusions from Hammond to Tendulkar

Grace is included as without him cricket as we know it wouldnt exist and Barry Richards is included as, despite not playing much Test cricket, he was the best batsman of his era.

shortpitched713

International Captain
1. Donald Bradman
2. Brian Lara
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Wally Hammond
6. Garry Sobers
7. Sunil Gavaskar
8. Matthew Hayden
9. Rahul Dravid
10. Len Hutton