• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your top 10 TEST batsmen of all-time

Days of Grace

International Captain
- so torn was I whether or not to include Grace that I didn't end up voting at all... :mellow:
You have your chance in the bowler's list. :)

Unlike the batsmen, the bowler's list should not really have players who only participated in a handful of matches.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A good exercise. Glad to see GChappell in the top 10. He did very well in some highly challenging WSC Supertests in the WIndies as well as in ROW matches. One felt (i.e. me) that had he been a record/weak opposition chaser, his numbers could've been so much better.
Not that it wasn't superb anyway, of course - particularly in comparison to his contemporaries. :)

I always like to add on RoW and WSC stats to the players from that era to see hypothetically what kind of career record they might have ended up with. In doing so, Chappell's already outstanding record becomes even better:

Official Tests:
87 matches, 7,110 runs (53.86) with 24 centuries.

Including WSC and RoW “Tests”:
105 matches, 9,113 runs (55.91) with 31 centuries.

Considering the quality of the attacks he was facing particularly in WSC, that’s a hell of an effort.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
You have your chance in the bowler's list. :)

Unlike the batsmen, the bowler's list should not really have players who only participated in a handful of matches.
The bowler's list could well become car crash foruming. ;)

Whereas the batting list kept things relatively simple by having both an unchallenged no.1 and a very pleasing relative lack of home country/person favouritism bias, I fear the bowlers list will have neither of those...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know it's what they did - don't think it was what DoG was asking for, though.

Some people clearly just plain don't like making lists based on actual performance rather than perceived ability.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I know it's what they did - don't think it was what DoG was asking for, though.

Some people clearly just plain don't like making lists based on actual performance rather than perceived ability.
If we are to take pure stats and if we lay down common parameters which makes sense (like minimum so many tests etc) then we dont really need to ask anyone to post, I can reel out the undisputed list based on pure stats every single time. :dry:

No argument and no need for so many threads and posts.:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Performance" and "stats" aren't the same thing though.

In any case, there's much of interest to discuss where cricket is concerned besides past performance - but when "who batted best \ who bowled best" is the subject, to place anything above performance is pretty foolhardly, IMO.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
1. Bradman
2. Headley
3. Lara
4. Viv Richards
5. Barry Richards
6. Gavaskar
7. Sobers
8. Merchant
9. Hammond
10. Hutton