• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reduce the teams (NZ)

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Is 6 teams to many. Let the cream rise to the top and reduce the domestic teams down to 4. IE Auckland, CD + ND, Wellington, Canterbury + Otago.

Auckland.
United.
Wellington.
South Is.

It would create more competitive comp. plus collectively more games a home and away in the 4 day game would be possible.

Athlai

Not Terrible
While a higher grade contest may be achieved, less players would be able to develop. I feel it would harm the development of NZ cricket especially in young players.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
NZ population is 4 million = 6 teams NSW population is 6.5 million = 1 team. the 6 reduced to 4 teams will lose 30 players, these 30 players are part of a larger competition to acheieve the highest level and play for one of the 4 big teams. why would that be a bad thing,

Athlai

Not Terrible
Those 30 players lost, all of a sudden aren't earning as much money and have less interest in playing cricket so decide to focus more on a working career. The development of players suffers, with New Zealands already small domestic scene I feel a move like this would likely destroy it.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Maybe increase to 8 teams split into two sets of 4. with winners of each group having a 3 4day test series to find the overall winner, also the same for the 50 over and 20/20 3 match series.

Pool A.
Nth Auckland
CD
ND
Canterbury

Pool B
Auckland United
Wellington
Sth Is United
Otago

the above was pretty random selection im sure some sought of seeding could be done first.

Flem274*

123/5
I used to hold the same belief until these arguments were pointed out to me. I think we should keep the same amount of teams but have a state of origin sort of thing sometime during the season, except make it a Tri series with the teams being Northern, Central and South Island. Also, I'd like to see the NZ under 19's play against the domestic teams and play some friendlies against the black caps. Also NZ A should not consist of guys that are proven to be hopeless or average in internationals but have players who show genuine potential. So Mason, Martin etc don't play but instead the up and comers with genuine talent gain some experience.

Also, if we can't get a team in the Pura Cup we could try enter NZ A in County Cricket. If that doesn't work then all international players and A team players should play County Cricket for a few years during the international off season to keep form and gain experience.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
IMO, the problem isn't really with the domestic set up per se, more to do with player development, cricket at a junior level and the pitches (not so much).

NZ is a rugby nation. Cricket is the summer sport that is followed but not as seriously as it should be. I'm not to sure what the current youth system is like, or if there is a national program. If there isn't one, there should be one. And if there is one, it needs to be stepped up.

Obviously, most prolific cricketers started playing when they were young, so this is where there needs to be a big focus. Shake the game up at a primary school level to make it A) more accessible and cheaper B) more enjoyable.

For Primary School, I think Twenty20 tournaments between schools, districts and provinces and age groups would be fantastic. Then in high school, upgrade to 40/50 over matches and then for seniors (i.e. 17/18 y/o's) have multiple inning multipe day matches. Have an U-19 competition that mirrors that of the main domestic comp i.e. CD U-19's vs Auckland U-19's at the same time the senior team plays. They could play the the provinces secondary grounds while the main teams should definitely play on just the main ones.

Basically, we should get in "early" to develop players at a younger age, rather than trying to quick fix the current competition to try and get us short term test players.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone is willing to invest enough money that is needed for it.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
NZ population is 4 million = 6 teams NSW population is 6.5 million = 1 team. the 6 reduced to 4 teams will lose 30 players, these 30 players are part of a larger competition to acheieve the highest level and play for one of the 4 big teams. why would that be a bad thing,

That's a bit simplistic. NSW's cricket is largely focused around Sydney, as far as I know, whereas player strength in NZ comes from all around the country.

cameeel

International Captain
Is there any reason why the idea of a NZ Shield team hasn't been floated (or at least, not as far as I've seen)? Trans-tasman teams have worked well in Rugby League, Basketball and Netball for a while now - and to some extent in the A-League - so why no proposal of introducing a New Zealand team into the Shield as well as retaining the current NZC domestic set-up?

Having said that though, I know next to nothing about NZ's domestic scene.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Is there any reason why the idea of a NZ Shield team hasn't been floated (or at least, not as far as I've seen)? Trans-tasman teams have worked well in Rugby League, Basketball and Netball for a while now - and to some extent in the A-League - so why no proposal of introducing a New Zealand team into the Shield as well as retaining the current NZC domestic set-up?

Having said that though, I know next to nothing about NZ's domestic scene.
Bit presumptuous. The ANZ netball comp is starting next year.

Why take the best players out of the NZC domestic set-up, creating even more of a gulf between domestic cricket and international?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Option 3. How about invite teams form Australia into our domestic comp. ie Canberra and Northern Territory both these teams have tried to get into the Aussie comp. this will expand our comp to 8 teams and also give us a longer season as the 1st and 2nd round can be played in Australia. more compitetion more playing teams could be allowed to have 2 players in their squad from one anothers contries.

Flem274*

123/5
Option 3. How about invite teams form Australia into our domestic comp. ie Canberra and Northern Territory both these teams have tried to get into the Aussie comp. this will expand our comp to 8 teams and also give us a longer season as the 1st and 2nd round can be played in Australia. more compitetion more playing teams could be allowed to have 2 players in their squad from one anothers contries.
Nah, for a start they'd steal our players. Also don't think they'd be keen on it. Though it is an idea.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
The reason a combined NZ/Australia domestic comp won't work is money. The FC level is basically a financial liability to the governing bodies, and is only retained as a nursery for the national sides. As Australia is already the most powerful playing nation in the world by a considerable margin, there is no benefit to them in allowing us to intrude on their FC scene.

The NRL, A-League and NBL are all commercial enterprises that draw crowds and TV audiences and therefore, cash. No-one (well almost no-one) wants to watch FC cricket - it's a loss maker.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Leaving aside the fact that 20/20 will hardly benefit NZ's test prospects, there's still no reason why the Australians would want us in their domestic comp, 20/20 or not.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From what I understand, the people that count in both Australia and NZ are a little more interested in this idea than you might think, Spambo. The talk on the town is of a 'Super 12' style competition in a 20:20 format. Apparently, the right people are behind it - but the logistics are proving a bit difficult as the seasons don't quite coincide and seasonal conditions effect cricket a bit more than they do in rugby.