• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flower to join Goodwin

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Andy Flower has apparently been talking to an Aussie state side and looks like coming out here to play domestic criicket like Goodwin did a few years ago, hopeefully he would play for Tassie or SA causse they need him more than the other states, also if he does end up coming out it sounded like his brother would come with him

Langeveldt

Soutie
god no, thats quite possibly the worst thing that has ever happened to zim cricket.

I give them six years of test cricket left

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i dunno if mugabe wants him to play cricket for Zimbabwe anymore

but it would be veryu bad for Zim Cricket thats for sure

Langeveldt

Soutie
age_master said:
i dunno if mugabe wants him to play cricket for Zimbabwe anymore

but it would be veryu bad for Zim Cricket thats for sure

Well i dont think Mugabe wants anybody not Zanu doing anything in Zimbabwe, and Andy Flower is just one who has dared to speak up for himself.

I hope all this is just a rumour though

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well they obviously care a great deal about Zimbabwe, I didnt see any black arm bands and protests from Johnson and Goodwin. They seemed to go pretty quickly. Maybe the regime has got the better of them.

I think the only players with farming backgrounds are Heath Streak and Guy Whittall. Im surprised it isnt them that are leaving...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
I think the only players with farming backgrounds are Heath Streak and Guy Whittall. Im surprised it isnt them that are leaving...
You can add Dirk Viljoen to that list.

Andy Flower is signed up for Essex next season. I think rumours of him talking to an Aussie state are just as a result of his actions lately, I can't say I give them much credibility at the moment. Anyway even if he has had talks they will only be a backup plan in case he is kicked out of Zimbabwe. Flower cares a lot about Cricket in Zimbabwe, and his nation as a whole. His stand with Henry Olonga just shows that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I've seen people expressing doubts that he'll play International Cricket after the World Cup, and to be honest I wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I've seen people expressing doubts that he'll play International Cricket after the World Cup, and to be honest I wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't!
I doubt he will just bugger off and leave his country in the lurch though. I have read many an interview with him and he is proud of his nationallity and really wants to help his country.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
You can add Dirk Viljoen to that list.

Andy Flower is signed up for Essex next season. I think rumours of him talking to an Aussie state are just as a result of his actions lately, I can't say I give them much credibility at the moment. Anyway even if he has had talks they will only be a backup plan in case he is kicked out of Zimbabwe. Flower cares a lot about Cricket in Zimbabwe, and his nation as a whole. His stand with Henry Olonga just shows that.
Well actualy it's not just a rumor He is very close to signing a contract to play with South Australia next year.
But nothing has been confirmed just yet so if the situation improves he may not sign.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
would be good to see him at SA, SA need another good batman, especially with lehmann playing more internationals - and in OD blewett doesn't score that fast so flower could help them win a few more games

krkode

State Captain
If A Flower leaves, I assume G Flower might leave too...without them the Zim batting is next to nothing :O

Eclipse

International Debutant
Hear is what he had to say

'I'd love to come and play cricket in the domestic competition in Australia,' said Flower. 'Obviously, things are a bit difficult here at the moment and I'd enjoy having a playing stint there and enjoy having temporary residence there.

'I've had some discussions . . . it is something I'd like to do. The talks I've had have been very positive and the appeal is very obvious. We should know exactly what is happening in the next couple of weeks. Right now, the focus is on other things, obviously, with everything that is going on.

So its deffinatly not a rumor.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Well actualy it's not just a rumor He is very close to signing a contract to play with South Australia next year.
But nothing has been confirmed just yet so if the situation improves he may not sign.
It may not be a rumour but I have seen no official report or contract signed. Actually I have not seen a single report about it anywhere so I'm wondering where you guys are getting this from. :)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I must admit I did hear this from somewhere else a couple of weeks back - but can't remember where!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I'm just puzzled as I'm not exactly cut off from the news round here and I've heard nothing.

V Reddy

International Debutant
No i also read it here in a newspaper. He said that he will play in Aus if he is dropped. Also read that he already has a temporary house there.