• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentator Help

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now, I never played international cricket and have never been a cricket professional, but I still do not understand when commentators say something like, "This 265 score is more like a 240 score, given it's a small field."

I fail to see how the chasing team is going to win if they get 240. How is it possible for a score to actually be less than it is? It isn't like the chasing side are actually chasing a lower total. Both teams are playing at the same ground and on the same pitch. It is a hard fone for me to understand.

It is something I have never understood, and maybe someone on here can help.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
wtf.

They're saying that if they were playing on a large ground, say, the MCG, that they wouldn't have scored the 265, they would've only scored 240.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wtf.

They're saying that if they were playing on a large ground, say, the MCG, that they wouldn't have scored the 265, they would've only scored 240.
Yeah, that's fine. But, there saying it's not a competitive score because it is really a 240 score? But, the other team has to chase 266 on the same ground. Just don't understand the logic behind it.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The logic behind it is to show that the score isn't as intimidating as it looks on paper. People who don't know so much about the game may be watching and thinking "wow, 275, we should win this easily" when 275 on a belter at North Sydney is about par for the course.

bond21

Banned
the recent NSW vs Tas game was on North Sydney Oval, NSW got 260 and that is an impressive score usually, but the ground is very small so it was an average score.

260 on that ground would be 230 on a bigger ground. they say it would be a lesser score because teams rarely play on minor grounds.