• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worcester are going to be the best side in britain in 2 years

G

You may do, but nowhere near as good as Yorkshire. The only good player Worcester have got is Graeme Hick, and he's past it. They haven't got any batting or bowling back-up to go with Hick. Yorkshire on the other hand have good batters and bowlers.

They have:

Batsmen: Darren Lehmann, Michael Vaughan, Craig White, David Byas, Martin Lumb.

Bowlers: Darren Gough, Matthew Hoggard, Ryan Sidebottom, Chris Silverwood, Richard Dawson, Ian Fisher, Steve Kirby, Chris Elstub, Gavin Hamilton.

Beat that, pal!

G

See, everyone thinks Yorkshire will win. Worcester have never been good.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm...how are Worcester doing now Mr. Hinton? Two years gone, they not the best team? Who'd have ever thought Worcester wouldn't be the best team? It never even crossed my mind :p
And who the hell is that guest, Yorkshire????? :huh: He must have been smoking summat...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chris.hinton said:
We have got a good Cricket side
That was Real Madrid's excuse. No, sorry... that was the Lakers' excuse... No? The Yankees?... Portugal?... Dream Team?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
To be fair we did have the makings of a good team 2 years ago..this year i was excited by our team..but players like Hall / Bichel / Smith etc just didnt perform and the likes of Mason and Kabir Ali were injured. Which as you can see most of them were bowlers! which isnt good when your bowling was your strong point!
Bichel has left and so will Hall by the looks of it so hopefully we will get some proper bowlers in and Mason / Ali can play injury free next year!

Rich2001

International Captain
Edit: Didn't notice that someone had dug up a 2 year old post, and my reply was out of date now.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
And who the hell is that guest, Yorkshire????? He must have been smoking summat...
No, not at all - 2 years ago our demise was totally unpredictable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rich2001 said:
Edit: Didn't notice that someone had dug up a 2 year old post, and my reply was out of date now.
Hmm, the identity of that someone is such a surprise! :) :wacko:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hinton in "completely and utterly wrong" shocker

The mystery poster is in all likelihood Paul Bramwell

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
No, not at all - 2 years ago our (Yorkshire's) demise was totally unpredictable.

I suppose the batting was always going to struggle if Lehmann wasn't available to bail it out, especially given the near 100% absence of Vaughan nowadays, but the demise of the bowling really has surprised me. I know Silverwood & White are nearly in the Alex Tudor class when it comes to injuries, but what on earth happened with Sidebottom? And what's Kirby's problem?

I wonder if future generations will view the Byas departure as one of the great Yorkshire messups on a par with Close & Illingworth. Maybe it was an irrelevance given the collapse of the bowling lineup and the general lack of quality anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wpdavid said:
I suppose the batting was always going to struggle if Lehmann wasn't available to bail it out, especially given the near 100% absence of Vaughan nowadays, but the demise of the bowling really has surprised me. I know Silverwood & White are nearly in the Alex Tudor class when it comes to injuries, but what on earth happened with Sidebottom? And what's Kirby's problem?

I wonder if future generations will view the Byas departure as one of the great Yorkshire messups on a par with Close & Illingworth. Maybe it was an irrelevance given the collapse of the bowling lineup and the general lack of quality anyway.
Since 2001 we've lost:
Lehmann, for in all likelihood quite a bit (possibly, sadly, forever - will he return in 2006? I hope so, but it's a long time away). Albeit this season Jacques proved a good replacement.
Vaughan (effectively, since he's, ludicrously, started being picked for ODI squads)
Hutchison (should never have been released)
Byas (IMO prematurely, should have been left with the captaincy and gone into 2002 content. Good that he's back now)
Gough (his depature was a great shame, a huge loss)
White (effectively, he's barely been fit in the last 2 seasons)
Sidebottom (like Hutchison, his departure was unneccessary)
Hamilton (a stupid release - we all know how brilliant he is at his best - he's not that old - he looked something like his old self again last season, and still has plenty left in him)
Plus, Hoggard, when he's not been in the Test-side he's been injured loads, and Silverwood's been terrible with fitness this season. Ian Harvey was nowhere near his best last season.
About the only consistent performers over the last 2 seasons have been Wood (he's only much good in the First-Class-game) and McGrath (even his one-day bowling hasn't been as good as it could be).
In 2001, we had: Byas, Lehmann, Vaughan, White, Hamilton, McGrath, Wood, Gough, Silverwood, Hoggard, high-class players all. Players with plenty of years left all.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Richard said:
Since 2001 we've lost:
Lehmann, for in all likelihood quite a bit (possibly, sadly, forever - will he return in 2006? I hope so, but it's a long time away). Albeit this season Jacques proved a good replacement.
Vaughan (effectively, since he's, ludicrously, started being picked for ODI squads)
Hutchison (should never have been released)
Byas (IMO prematurely, should have been left with the captaincy and gone into 2002 content. Good that he's back now)
Gough (his depature was a great shame, a huge loss)
White (effectively, he's barely been fit in the last 2 seasons)
Sidebottom (like Hutchison, his departure was unneccessary)
Hamilton (a stupid release - we all know how brilliant he is at his best - he's not that old - he looked something like his old self again last season, and still has plenty left in him)
Plus, Hoggard, when he's not been in the Test-side he's been injured loads, and Silverwood's been terrible with fitness this season. Ian Harvey was nowhere near his best last season.
About the only consistent performers over the last 2 seasons have been Wood (he's only much good in the First-Class-game) and McGrath (even his one-day bowling hasn't been as good as it could be).
In 2001, we had: Byas, Lehmann, Vaughan, White, Hamilton, McGrath, Wood, Gough, Silverwood, Hoggard, high-class players all. Players with plenty of years left all.

Could finances have anything to do with it? cos i remember hearing how Yorkshire were like £5m in debt not that long ago? and were under pressure to make the ground better for England games which must have cost some too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We were far more than £5,000,000 in debt - it was cut to that, after being £7,000,000 in mid-2003.
The pressure has been eased - slightly - again since then but the costs of redevelopment have taken their toll. The club still has fincancial problems, there's just not the immidiate threat of bankruptcy.