• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Dynamic Test World XI - Inaugural Votings

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Was thinking about a project on CW and after talking with Haakon on MSN, we have tied the lose ends for what we hope is success - CW Dynamic Test World XI.

Basically, we select a World Test XI. Periodically, we change players in the XI (around once every 2 months before or after a big series preferably). The changes will be done by nominations, firsts and seconds after which we would go into repolling. The first of these will be held after the initial voting and selections are done to collaborate if some one vehemently opposes the vote tally.

First, to the Inaugural Votings:

Please select your Dynamic World Test XI, and list your bowlers in priority order (i.e. if you think Murali is the best bowler, then put him at 1, etc.)

1) Players will be picked based on the most votes.

2) However, there will be reserved spots for
a) One wicketkeeper
b) Two opening batsmen
c) Three middle order batsmen
d) Two fast bowlers
e) One spinner
f) A fourth bowler, either a spinner or fast bowler depending on votes.
The remaining, 11th spot, will be given to the remaining player getting most votes provided he has batting capability (batting average>30 or>35 in last 2 years) .

The priority order will be used to split ties between bowlers.

Happy picking! :)

(Voting open for 7 days.)

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
And just to kick things off...

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Sangakkara
Kallis
Hussey
+Dhoni
Kumble
Hoggard
Akhtar
Muralitharan

1 Muralitharan, 2 Akhtar, 3 Hoggard, 4 Kumble

Middle order talent a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden
Cook
Kallis
Sangakkarra+
Tendulkar
Mohammed Yossouf
Pollock
Vaas
Lee
Steyn
Muralitharan

Bowlers
1. Lee
2. Steyn
3. Murali
4. Vaas

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Hayden
Jaques
Sangakkara
Chanderpaul
Kallis
Collingwood
+Dhoni
Kumble
Lee
Vass
Muralitharan

1.Lee 2.Muralitharan 3.Kumble 4.Vass

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Question: should we vote on class or form? Murali has done very poorly in Australia, so should we not select him for that or instead realise that he's the best bowler in the world?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Question: should we vote on class or form? Murali has done very poorly in Australia, so should we not select him for that or instead realise that he's the best bowler in the world?
Combination of the two, just as you would to pick a real side if it was to play for a World XI.

Last edited:

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Alright then.

Jaques
Cook
*Ponting
†Sangakkarra
Pietersen
Hussey
Kallis
Lee
Kumble
Steyn
Muralitharan

1) Steyn 2) Kumble 3) Lee 4) Muralitharan

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
1. Jaques
2. Cook
3. Ponting
4. Kallis
5. Jayawardene
6. Sangakkara+
7. Vettori
8. Lee
9. Clark
10. Steyn
11. Murali

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  1. Hayden
  2. Cook
  3. Ponting
  4. Dravid
  5. Hussey
  6. Kallis
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Flintoff
  9. Lee
  10. Clark
  11. Ntini

Feel proud to have the first side without spin TBH.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am astonished that people think Jacques and Steyn have done enough after one series to make a World XI. To each his own, I suppose, but my God, people have a very short memory, don't they?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I am astonished that people think Jacques and Steyn have done enough after one series to make a World XI. To each his own, I suppose, but my God, people have a very short memory, don't they?
I think it's supposed to be a continually rolling XI based on current form, so you only need a short memory.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Phil Jaques
2 Alastair Cook
3 Hashim Amla
4 Jacques Kallis
5 Michael Hussey
6 Mohammed Yousuf
7 Kumar Sangakarra
8 Brett Lee
9 Stuart Clark
10 Dale Steyn
11 Muttiah Muralitharan

1 Lee, 2 Muralitharan, 3 Clark, 4 Steyn

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Combination of the two, just as you would to pick a real side if it was to play for a World XI.
How would you go about it if I theoretically decided I wanted Hussey or Dravid to open? I'm just wondering about what effect exactly that would have on:

a) The validity of my selection if I did that
b) How you'd factor that in to their middle order claims

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it's supposed to be a continually rolling XI based on current form, so you only need a short memory.
I don't think it's supposed to be a team based on form alone, though. Pratyush said it's the team you'd pick if you were picking a World XI today. So we're theoretically assuming that there is actually an opposition for a World XI that they'll be playing on a regular basis and picking what would be their first ever team. In that situation, I certainly wouldn't be picking Steyn or Jaques just because they'd played well in the last few games.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't think it's supposed to be a team based on form alone, though. Pratyush said it's the team you'd pick if you were picking a World XI today. So we're theoretically assuming that there is actually an opposition for a World XI that they'll be playing on a regular basis and picking what would be their first ever team. In that situation, I certainly wouldn't be picking Steyn or Jaques just because they'd played well in the last few games.
Yeah I'll change my team too and will take both of those guys out and Amla if that is the case!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
1) Hayden
2) Jaques
3) Ponting*
4) Kallis
5) Pietersen
6) Hussey
7) Sangakarra+
8) Lee
9) Clark
10) Zaheer Khan
11) Murali

1) Murali, 2) Clark, 3) Lee, 4) Zaheer

Zaheer possibly a marginal call, but he was pretty bloody good in our summer and nice to have a cack-hander to make the rough for Murali. Ahktar misses out 'cos he's an arsehole and probably not matchfit; Bond and Asif through injury. Jaques opens c'so the only realistic competiton is Cook and he had ordinary-ish series v India; one fifty and consistently made starts which weren't converted.

pasag

RTDAS
Hayden
Cook
Ponting
Dravid
Kallis
Sangas+
Hussey
Clark
Asif
Ntini
Murali

I'm not too happy with the side tbh. Cook was on and off through the year and Hayden besides the one innings hasn't been amazing either. Dravid didn't have a great tour of England and Hussey at seven isn't ideal, though his ability to work with a tail is unparalleled. None of the bowlers are in great form either, but I've resisted swapping them for those who have only been for a shortish amount of time in Lee, Steyn and Zaheer. Sangas as a wicketkeeper isn't ideal either as he's better when he doesn't keep, but I wanted him in the side, so that's the only way possible. If Bond didn't get injued again and would have done well in the second Test I would have made room for him as well. KP and Yousuf are two other big names to miss out, but I just can't find the room in the middle order.