• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne Gone - 12 Months

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Shane Warne was found guilty of using a diaretic to mask a steriod and has been suspended for 12 months.

Very interesting that they think he's being using steriods even though there doesn't seem to be any indications of that.

Anyway, how do you think this will affect his future.

I dont think he will play testcricket again, but he'll most probably play for Victoria again.

krkode

State Captain
Well, now he misses out on both 300 ODI wickets and 500 test wickets :(

If he really wants to do it, he'd keep in shape and give the selectors a challenge a year from now...otherwise, he'll just retire and not play again... :(

It'll be hard for him to get selected into the aussie team as, one year from now, there'll be little to base their decision on except that, "he was once great." which I don't think the aussie selectors believe in anymore..

Eclipse

International Debutant
hourn said:
Shane Warne was found guilty of using a diaretic to mask a steriod and has been suspended for 12 months.

Very interesting that they think he's being using steriods even though there doesn't seem to be any indications of that.

Anyway, how do you think this will affect his future.

I dont think he will play testcricket again, but he'll most probably play for Victoria again.
Thats actualy not true he was baned on the possibility that he used the diretic to mask a steriod but he has not been found guilty of doing that. Infact it's unlikley that he did but they had to impose the 12 month ban on the chance that he did.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Being banned from just international cricket would have been the best outcome, but being banned from ALL cricket (international through to club) is the worst because its very hard to stay match fit in the nets for a year without even playing for your club.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Re: Re: Warne Gone - 12 Months

Eclipse said:
Thats actualy not true he was baned on the possibility that he used the diretic to mask a steriod but he has not been found guilty of doing that. Infact it's unlikley that he did but they had to impose the 12 month ban on the chance that he did.

yea true, sorry i misunderstood that when first reports came out.

But a few issues i have with this whole issue:

1 - Dick Pound. What has this guy got to do with it. He has nothing to do with cricket. Just because he's the head of the Olympic Drugs Committee or whatever he is doesn't mean he has any bearing on what should happen to Warne. This guy stuck his nose where it wasn't wanted.

2 - The World Anti Doping Commitee's comments "We will appeal the decision if it is too lenient" is redicolous. I dont even understand how they can do that anyway, and IMO i feel that this so called "Experts" such as Dick Pound and the WADC contributed to Warne getting what was quite a harsh penalty.

Kimbo

International Debutant
well, thats gotta rip your undies. i cant imagine no cricket for a year... i am away to england so i have three straight seasons.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: Warne Gone - 12 Months

hourn said:
yea true, sorry i misunderstood that when first reports came out.

But a few issues i have with this whole issue:

1 - Dick Pound. What has this guy got to do with it. He has nothing to do with cricket. Just because he's the head of the Olympic Drugs Committee or whatever he is doesn't mean he has any bearing on what should happen to Warne. This guy stuck his nose where it wasn't wanted.

2 - The World Anti Doping Commitee's comments "We will appeal the decision if it is too lenient" is redicolous. I dont even understand how they can do that anyway, and IMO i feel that this so called "Experts" such as Dick Pound and the WADC contributed to Warne getting what was quite a harsh penalty.
I believe the Olympic Drugs Authorities have power in all Sports. I'm pretty sure the Italian Olympic Authority were involved banning footballers.

At the end of the day, he has done something wrong, and should've been punished - such a high profile case can only be good for stamping out drugs in sport.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Warne Gone - 12 Months

Eclipse said:
I think that the actual ban is quite lenient - the standard punishment is 2 years.

It's true that he has not been found guilty of using steroids, but he has been found guilty of using an illegal substance (well, two actually).

The fact that diuretics CAN be used to mask other substances is not the only reason that they are on the 'banned' list. Surely using them to encourage the shedding of excess bodily fluids will have the (temporary) effect of making the user slimmer, lighter, faster? In other words they could be construed as 'performance-enhancing?'

Regarding the later comment from Hourn regarding Dick Pound 'sticking his nose in where it wasn't wanted', well, I cannot think of anyone more qualified to offer his advice on the subject.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Warne Gone - 12 Months

marc71178 said:
I believe the Olympic Drugs Authorities have power in all Sports. I'm pretty sure the Italian Olympic Authority were involved banning footballers.

football is an olympic sport therefore they fall under olympic doping policies.

cricket isn't an olympic sport, therefore the IOC or WADA and Dick Pound have no bearing or say over Warnes ban.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Warne Gone - 12 Months

hourn said:

cricket isn't an olympic sport, therefore the IOC or WADA and Dick Pound have no bearing or say over Warnes ban.
Am I right in assuming that you would have been happy for Warne to get off on a technicality?

The guy has not 'made a mistake' - he has either cheated or been incredibly stupid.

The fact that cricket is not an Olympic sport makes not the slightest bit of difference in my eyes.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Warne Gone - 12 Months

luckyeddie said:
Am I right in assuming that you would have been happy for Warne to get off on a technicality?

The guy has not 'made a mistake' - he has either cheated or been incredibly stupid.

The fact that cricket is not an Olympic sport makes not the slightest bit of difference in my eyes.
no i dont believe warne should've escaped punishment. i thought 6 months was a fair punishment, 12 months was a bit harsh, but could be argued as being fair as well.

I know the fact it isn't an olympic sport doesnt make a difference.

my gripe with WADA and dick pound is they seem to think they're opinion is the be all and end all. theyre orginazation has nothing to do with the matter and they stuck their nose where it wasn't wanted.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Re: Re: Re: Warne Gone - 12 Months

luckyeddie said:
I think that the actual ban is quite lenient - the standard punishment is 2 years.

It's true that he has not been found guilty of using steroids, but he has been found guilty of using an illegal substance (well, two actually).

The fact that diuretics CAN be used to mask other substances is not the only reason that they are on the 'banned' list. Surely using them to encourage the shedding of excess bodily fluids will have the (temporary) effect of making the user slimmer, lighter, faster? In other words they could be construed as 'performance-enhancing?'

Regarding the later comment from Hourn regarding Dick Pound 'sticking his nose in where it wasn't wanted', well, I cannot think of anyone more qualified to offer his advice on the subject.

Actualy according to what I heard on the Radio today diretics are only on the baned list for that one reason.

Its hard for me to judge wether he should have had a longer or shorter ban because I dont know all the facts but my gut tells me it was a mistake and stupid one at that and maybe a 6 month ban would be enough.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Warne Gone - 12 Months

hourn said:

Erm, FIFA is far more powerful than any other Global Sporting Organisation for Team sports, and they fall in line, so Cricket should as well.

In fact cricket is an Olympic Sport.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
OK, so it's only in the 1900 Olympics, but it is still an Olympic Sport ;)

By the way France won the Silver, and GB the Gold.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Was it not in the Olympics? It's definitely in the Commonwealth Games. Or used to be at least....

OK lets go with this - I know with 100% certainty there was cricket at the 1998 Kuala Lumpur Commonwealth Games.

[br]Originally posted by Lucky Eddie[/br]The guy has not 'made a mistake' - he has either cheated or been incredibly stupid.
*See signature.