• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell

Shri

Mr. Glass
Not a fan of Chappell, but you've missed the most obvious guy who came through in his time.

EDIT : Wait a minute, Dhoni might have actually debuted in John Wright's last series against Pakistan in 2005 (ODIs where we lost 4-2 after winning the first 2 games). Not sure though.
Dhoni debuted in 2004.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Players coming through in a coach's time isn't necessarily a plus for the latter though, unless he'd personally scouted and handpicked those particular players. To Chappell's credit, Raina is on record stating that he benefitted from his coaching, can't say the same for the others. Definitely not so for Pathan, who IMO actually regressed as a bowler towards the end of Chappell's tenure. And probably not so in the case of Dhoni too, who seems to me to be pretty self-driven and his own man. Sreesanth and RP are neither here nor there. IMO, Chappell's tenure happened to coincide with a phase in Indian cricket that saw the influx of fresh young talent, and thats probably all there is to it.
Do think he gavve Dhoni the opportunities though.. As you say, that is still a limited role in his success but it was still important, IMO.

Bun

Banned
Do think he gavve Dhoni the opportunities though.. As you say, that is still a limited role in his success but it was still important, IMO.
nope, dhoni rather grabbed whatever chances he got... and then made it his own. we have juggled keepers like anything since mongia, saba karim, vijay dahiya, ajay ratra, msk prasad, deepdrop gupta, parthiv patel, and iirc dinesh kartik (not fully sure though he debuted before dhoni).....

chappell did nothing but try to impose himself upon the side, he needed a bunch of guys who he could dominate and play like he wanted, more like a soccer club manager than a national cricket team coach. it still could've worked in a diff culture, perhaps like england, where imho andy flower is doing a similar disciplinarian approach but it could never work in india.

and now he's seemingly doing an encore in australia. this stint will unquestionably tell us about him the coach, as I believe everyone deserves a second chance.

as to him being a player, without doubt, an Atg, with a capital A.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chappell did nothing but try to impose himself upon the side, he needed a bunch of guys who he could dominate and play like he wanted, more like a soccer club manager than a national cricket team coach. it still could've worked in a diff culture, perhaps like england, where imho andy flower is doing a similar disciplinarian approach but it could never work in india.
Nah, their approaches are quite different and last I heard they despise each other. Flower played a season here during Chappell's reign of terror, not a coincidence.

and now he's seemingly doing an encore in australia. this stint will unquestionably tell us about him the coach, as I believe everyone deserves a second chance.
haha, Chappell's douchbaggery hasn't been in question for years. Honestly, why does everything think he disappeared off the radar for so many years after he retired as a player? No-one with any regard for their organisation would hire him. As I've said before Chappell has been poison for every team he's ever had any clout in as player or coach. He has form, it's well-known, the BCCI should have known what they were in for when they hired him.

Am interested in who the other candidates were when he applied for the India job, though. They must have been abysmal.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah, their approaches are quite different and last I heard they despise each other. Flower played a season here during Chappell's reign of terror, not a coincidence.

haha, Chappell's douchbaggery hasn't been in question for years. Honestly, why does everything think he disappeared off the radar for so many years after he retired as a player? No-one with any regard for their organisation would hire him. As I've said before Chappell has been poison for every team he's ever had any clout in as player or coach. He has form, it's well-known, the BCCI should have known what they were in for when they hired him.

Am interested in who the other candidates were when he applied for the India job, though. They must have been abysmal.
Tom Moody was there.. Still think he would have done a good job for us and we missed him. Ironically, Dravid backed Moody and it was Saurav who backed Chappell.. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
nope, dhoni rather grabbed whatever chances he got... and then made it his own. we have juggled keepers like anything since mongia, saba karim, vijay dahiya, ajay ratra, msk prasad, deepdrop gupta, parthiv patel, and iirc dinesh kartik (not fully sure though he debuted before dhoni).....

as to him being a player, without doubt, an Atg, with a capital A.
Dhoni debuted during Wright's last years and was continuously playing under Chappell. Even in RSA he was played and not DK... He was ALWAYS the keeper too, even when DK played. He batted at 3 and opened in the Windies under Greg C. Look, I hate the guy as much as anyone and what he did to our team spirit and morale etc. But give the devil his due.

Bun

Banned
Dhoni debuted during Wright's last years and was continuously playing under Chappell. Even in RSA he was played and not DK... He was ALWAYS the keeper too, even when DK played. He batted at 3 and opened in the Windies under Greg C. Look, I hate the guy as much as anyone and what he did to our team spirit and morale etc. But give the devil his due.
the guy was avg mid forty with sr of 100. dnt see what gc had to do abt him playing continously. he was that gud and competition wasn't really great.

Daemon

the guy was avg mid forty with sr of 100. dnt see what gc had to do abt him playing continously. he was that gud and competition wasn't really great.
Must have taken quite some effort to put in the apostrophe for wasn't :)

Bun

Banned
I received 3 points infraction for this post, so now onwards, will people be infracted for using "afaic", "itbt", "tbh", "imho" etc? I just want to make sure I don't get banned before the English series gets underway.

Flem274*

123/5
I received 3 points infraction for this post, so now onwards, will people be infracted for using "afaic", "itbt", "tbh", "imho" etc? I just want to make sure I don't get banned before the English series gets underway.
Abbreviations are fine, but using incomprehensible txt speak when you have written proper posts in the past will not fly around here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. he averaged that with that SR because he was allowed to bat at different positions and improve his game.. As they say, talent is nothing without opportunity and he got them durng GC's time.. I am still not clear to what extent Chappell influenced his batting positions but I am sure he at least had some influence...

Burgey

Rightly infracted for use of "abt" and "gud" tbh.

Bun

Banned
Abbreviations are fine, but using incomprehensible txt speak when you have written proper posts in the past will not fly around here.
I don't see it being worth of infracted. People make incomprehensible and utterly confounding posts (yours truly included) and if that's the case, they are rightly ignored. As long as I don't target a member or am uncivil, I don't find it a crime enough to be infracted.

Although I'll plead guilty to the post you warned me in the other thread.

Besides, English does not have not a compartmentalised rigourous set of rules. It is self evolving like any other language. Today's txt speak maybe tomorrow's proper usage. So kindly let's stop judging and infracting others' linguistic skills.

/end rant

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
lol.. he averaged that with that SR because he was allowed to bat at different positions and improve his game.. As they say, talent is nothing without opportunity and he got them durng GC's time.. I am still not clear to what extent Chappell influenced his batting positions but I am sure he at least had some influence...
Nobody kills a goose laying golden eggs, not even Greg Chappell. Dhoni was making runs whenever given an opportunity so it was only obvious he would be given opportunities to do so. Besides, credit should go to the selectors for identifying the talent in Dhoni from the remote Jarkand.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't see it being worth of infracted. People make incomprehensible and utterly confounding posts (yours truly included) and if that's the case, they are rightly ignored. As long as I don't target a member or am uncivil, I don't find it a crime enough to be infracted.

Although I'll plead guilty to the post you warned me in the other thread.
The Forum Rules said:
Post in English - We welcome members from worldwide, but in all countries that cricket is played, English is spoken and English is the language of cricket, so all posts should be kept in this language.
Txt speak is not proper English. We have people who do not have English as their first language along with Westerners not quite in tune with current trends who find your posts difficult to read. We asked you to stop, gave you plenty of warnings, and you ignored them. The ball is in your court.

I am not derailing the thread any further, so if you want to discuss it, email us. (moderators@cricketweb.net).

Bun

Banned
Txt speak is not proper English. We have people who do not have English as their first language along with Westerners not quite in tune with current trends who find your posts difficult to read. We asked you to stop, gave you plenty of warnings, and you ignored them. The ball is in your court.

I am not derailing the thread any further, so if you want to discuss it, email us. (moderators@cricketweb.net).
Nah, leave it, am not posting off the SmartPhone till the England series start.