• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell

Salamuddin

International Debutant
IAnd I disagree about 'much being made of his stella playing record'. if 90 seconds of an hour programme is much then yes it was too much8-)

It was quite apparent to me the inferences they were trying to draw ie because he had a stellar playing record, he was someone that could have benefited Indian cricket immensely.

As I said, it conveniently overlooked the fact that Greg had proven himself to be a mediocre coach at best before taking on the Indian role.

archie mac

International Coach
It was quite apparent to me the inferences they were trying to draw ie because he had a stellar playing record, he was someone that could have benefited Indian cricket immensely.

As I said, it conveniently overlooked the fact that Greg had proven himself to be a mediocre coach at best before taking on the Indian role.
I am sure they also thought this (Indian Cricket Establishment), otherwise why did they give him the job?

I don't think they had to infer anything we all know that GSC is an all time great:cool:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
An all-time great batsman, yeah - but wasn't this program supposed to be about Chappell the coach of India?

(Genuine question there - that's the impression I got from the opening post, but I don't know for certain at all)

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I am sure they also thought this (Indian Cricket Establishment), otherwise why did they give him the job?

I don't think they had to infer anything we all know that GSC is an all time great:cool:
Because in India if you are a big name, that's all that matters. Status counts for alot over there. THe BCCI were stupid enough to think that Greg was great player therefore he must be a great coach.

No-one bothered to check up on his career as coach up to that point - if they had done a proper job, they would never have hired him.

That program made the same assumption - at least in my eyes - that Greg was some of kind of master coach, a guru who India should have made better use of.
The reality is that Greg's credentials as a coach/man manager were highly questionable.

I understand the proggram was skewed to show things from his point of view but obviously that's only part of the story (ie his side).

burr

State Vice-Captain
I thought it was a strange doco, seemed kind of amateurish. Still it was interesting. I thought actually that Chappell didn’t come off looking too great as a coach – very dry and reserved and lacking people management skills. He seemed very depressed and joyless and like he was thoroughly miserable the whole time. I can’t imagine his charges being inspired by him. And then there was that weird scene where he trying to get one of the Indian players to drink. What the? But Indian cricket did come off looking like an absolute rabble. I loved when they showed the head offices of the BCCI. ha ha, looked like some kind of cheap motel.

pup11

International Coach
For me Greg Chappell was never a good man-manager and that was his biggest shortcoming as a coach of an international cricket teams, he was a great player in his time but the same greatness as a player led to a big ego problem when he became coach.
But having said all that i would have to say he had some very good plans and views for the betterment of Indian cricket but he just failed to execute those plans in right way, he failed to establish good communication between himself and the players and that's where he faltered big time.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel that Greg Chappell is a visionary and as one is best suited to work at a cricket academy behind the scenes. His emphasis on fitness is not helpful in the match-a-day world of international cricket and I feel that his calling is at the Rajasthan Cricket Academy. He is in a position of power where he can implement his ideas but does not have to make tough selectorial advise for the selectors, simply to say who has the talent and who does not. I do not think he will face much politics or racism working in such a low-key job but feel his effect will be clear in two years if Rajasthan have a Ranji conquering team or if they continue to stumble every now and then.

Chappell was poor at dealing with the 'stars' of Indian cricket but it was not his fault but rather he was the wrong man for the situation. Ganguly was disasterous in 2005 and Chappell realised that he had to drop him and bring youth into the ODI team soon (something which still has not happened). Conflicted between a rock and a hard place (his beliefs and those of others), Chappell had a hard time as a coach in the spot light.

Just watching the video and reading the explanation, Chappell's course is fairly complex in the art of functional training and I hope he does not neglect the simple stuff like interval sprints and simply training groups of important muscles rather than all in one course which is likely to cause injuries.

I wish Chappell the best in his Academy and really believe that it could work wonders for the fitness of Rajasthan's cricketers but I feel the true effects will be next season when they will have had an off-season to work on the assault courses without games getting in the way, so to speak. His type of free thinking is needed in the Indian domestic circuit and it is good to see him there.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For me Greg Chappell was never a good man-manager and that was his biggest shortcoming as a coach of an international cricket teams, he was a great player in his time but the same greatness as a player led to a big ego problem when he became coach.
But having said all that i would have to say he had some very good plans and views for the betterment of Indian cricket but he just failed to execute those plans in right way, he failed to establish good communication between himself and the players and that's where he faltered big time.
The player's attitudes to practise and so on seemed to be lacking somewhat too, but that's hardly a surprise.

archie mac

International Coach
An all-time great batsman, yeah - but wasn't this program supposed to be about Chappell the coach of India?

(Genuine question there - that's the impression I got from the opening post, but I don't know for certain at all)
Yes it was, but they spent 90 seconds saying he was a great batsman in his time, I still can't see what is wrong with that tbh

I think it is called background:)

archie mac

International Coach
Because in India if you are a big name, that's all that matters. Status counts for alot over there. THe BCCI were stupid enough to think that Greg was great player therefore he must be a great coach.

No-one bothered to check up on his career as coach up to that point - if they had done a proper job, they would never have hired him.

That program made the same assumption - at least in my eyes - that Greg was some of kind of master coach, a guru who India should have made better use of.
The reality is that Greg's credentials as a coach/man manager were highly questionable.

I understand the proggram was skewed to show things from his point of view but obviously that's only part of the story (ie his side).
I hope the BCCI is not that much of a amateur organisation:-O

I agreed the show was pro Chappell, but still he seemed to struggle to get the players he wanted, which makes it hard to live or die on performance. And didn't India perform well under Chappell in his early days?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Yes it was, but they spent 90 seconds saying he was a great batsman in his time, I still can't see what is wrong with that tbh

I think it is called background:)

Nothing wrong with that but surely as part of that background, you should have also mentioned his coaching career prior to India ?

haroon510

International 12th Man
wow indians are douchbags.

didnt one dude punch him?

what losers.
wow lol

:laugh:

i only hate indian cricket team not indian fans despite some of them(turbanator) can be soo annoying...but certainly can't call them names like this mate..

bond21

Banned
wow lol

:laugh:

i only hate indian cricket team not indian fans despite some of them(turbanator) can be soo annoying...but certainly can't call them names like this mate..
obviously i worded it slightly wrong, i dont mean the 2 billion or whatever indians are douchebags, thats ridiculous.

i meant the fanatics in the program were douchebags, ie burning effegies of chappell and attacking him.

The indians they interviewed in the west indies were nice, they went over there to see their team play and they didnt perform, but i didnt see them threatening to kill chappell. what i got from the programme was cricket in india seems to be more hardcore than in Australia.

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thought the show wasn't too bad,but did anyone else see Greg hit his head getting into the bus?Summed it all up really.

haroon510

International 12th Man
obviously i worded it slightly wrong, i dont mean the 2 billion or whatever indians are douchebags, thats ridiculous.

i meant the fanatics in the program were douchebags, ie burning effegies of chappell and attacking him.

The indians they interviewed in the west indies were nice, they went over there to see their team play and they didnt perform, but i didnt see them threatening to kill chappell. what i got from the programme was cricket in india seems to be more hardcore than in Australia.
Not only in india but the whole Continent... it is going to get more hardcore once the afghan team emerges.... one thing we hate and that is losing....

haroon510

International 12th Man
can anyone share interview with us? here . well with me... i live in U.S and every two hours there is this boring game called baseball in thier T.V...and they don't even know what cricket is... it soo piss me of sometimes that god.... i had to live here in california... far away from the game that i love..