• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

This is interesting - ODI dot ball rates:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Wisden have done some research into the number of dot balls faced / delivered over the last 18 months.

Highlights:

England are the best at scoring, facing a lower percentage of dot balls than any other nation.

Nasser Hussain, much criticised for his ODI batting, is above Bevan, supposedly the best batsman in the world because of his ability to nudge it around.

Over 70% of the balls Glenn McGrath bowls are dots.

Martin Suji is 3rd best in that category.

Here's the full article

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tragically for England, Kenya score a higher percentage of their runs as boundaries. This is why we don't hit the peaks and nadirs as often as others. Also, India and even Bangladesh send down more dot balls (although Bangladesh even this out with a huge amount of 4-balls, no-balls and wides...)

Bazza

International 12th Man
Martin Suji is a very economical bowler actually. He regularly returns figures of 10 overs for about 20 runs!

Hussain isn't in the top 10 though for that category, and it isn't exactly a guide to the best nurdlers (!) or anything, because the likes of Klusener, Flintoff, Cairns, etc are all in the top 10.

Good to see Caddick in the bowlers list, though he always has been very economical.

Just looking at differences between dot balls bowled and faced (in percentage terms):

Australia +4.51
South Africa +4.40
Pakistan +3.69
England +1.87
West Indies +1.55
Sri Lanka +0.23
India +0.20
New Zealand -1.20
Zimbabwe -5.45
Bangladesh -10.88
Kenya -12.47

Not a wildly inaccurate form guide for the last 18 months!

PY

International Coach
In the English Daily Telegraph, it says that Australia faced 122 dotballs out 216 balls faced in their innings against holland!:O :O accounting for the pitch and/or good bowling thats still pretty shocking because either way quality ODI batting involves if you're stuck for runs then you knock it about. Still did respectably though so can't really criticise them

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
well i think england lack the ability to hit many boundaries apart from 4 batsmen, Vaughan, flintoff, trescco and knight wheras you look at teams like Aus and RSA which have hitters down the order like Boucher, lehmann, kluesener, pollock, lee etc

what i would like to see is some % boundaries tables or just runs scored per ball

also the high % dot ball batsmen are often hitters who will go 4 . 4 . 4 . - thats 50% dot balls BUT also 50% boundareies

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PROUD+ENGLISH said:
In the English Daily Telegraph, it says that Australia faced 122 dotballs out 216 balls faced in their innings against holland!:O :O accounting for the pitch and/or good bowling thats still pretty shocking because either way quality ODI batting involves if you're stuck for runs then you knock it about. Still did respectably though so can't really criticise them
I disagree, it was a very professional performance, since they realised D/L would come into play and therefore conserved wickets - they could possibly have scored an extra 20 or 30 runs for the loss of 3 or 4 wickets, but that wouldn't have been so good for them.

PY

International Coach
I agree that it was clever that they realised that losing wickets in the last few overs would have made the total easier for Holland but I didnt mean that should slaughter the ball to all parts, I meant that they could have knocked up singles and 2's. Angled the bat on a staright one and take a single down to third man etc etc. But still they won so bit of a pointless discussion really

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Something else which might be more interesting to Marc
Is Australia winning the Ashes 4-1
Australia barely raising a sweat in the VB tournament.
Michael Bevan avging over 50 at a s/r of over 75.
Australian's score ****loads of runs in county cricket.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Slats4ever said:
And how is this relevant?! :!(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I wasn't trying to belittle Australia, I was just pointing out a bizarre statistic there when you consider the media treatment of Hussain.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slats4ever said:
The moral of the story is, if you've got nothing to say, say it anyway.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I actually read in the cricinfo report that if Australia lost wickets in the last few overs it wouldn't have harmed them much anyway, the point being they had wickets in hand when the rain came and the overs were reduced. Apparently Australia misunderstood this (although it's kind of understandable, can't be expected to know all the intricacies of something like that!).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bazza said:
I actually read in the cricinfo report that if Australia lost wickets in the last few overs it wouldn't have harmed them much anyway, the point being they had wickets in hand when the rain came and the overs were reduced. Apparently Australia misunderstood this (although it's kind of understandable, can't be expected to know all the intricacies of something like that!).
Erm, wrong thread?! ;)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It was in response to the comments re: Australia's slow scoring rate (and high dot ball rate!) against Holland.

And incidentally, Bazza's dead right. It's resources remaining when the rain comes that count, so it wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference whether they had 2 or 10 down after their 36 were up.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So the Aussies were stupid and got it wrong then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Unless there was a chance of more rain, so they were worried about that?)

Bazza

International 12th Man
No it was in response to this series of posts:

PROUD+ENGLISH said:
marc71178[/i] [B]I disagree said:
I agree that it was clever that they realised that losing wickets in the last few overs would have made the total easier for Holland but I didnt mean that should slaughter the ball to all parts, I meant that they could have knocked up singles and 2's. Angled the bat on a staright one and take a single down to third man etc etc. But still they won so bit of a pointless discussion really