• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I feel Afridi doesn't get the respect he deserves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you realise Afridi is only third player in ODI history to achieve the combination of 5000 runs and 200 wickets. The other players being Sri Lankan batsman Sanath Jayasuriya and South African Jacques Kallis.

Athlai

Not Terrible
No doubt a great talent yet he's nowhere near the best batsman or the best bowler at any stage of his career. We have all come to appreciate the way he bats and know he will never change it, yet he will always run the risk of throwing away his wicket and as he averages the same as a lot less talented batsman he must be doing something wrong.

His bowlings not half bad, yet I think the fact he is in the Pakistan side is all the credit he actually deserves.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i take your point on board.

i feel all three are great cricketers. Jayasuria is one of the few possessing Afridi's talent and Kallis has a great temparement.
I don't rate Afridi at all, his output has been incredibly mediocre for somebody who has played the amount of ODIs he has.

Fiery

Banned
Afridi is one of cricket's pure joys. I don't give a **** about his averages and I really don't think he does that much either. He's a showman and will be remembered as one of the most outrageously attacking players of all time after he retires

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He doesn't though, because he doesn't have the mental ability.
Or the technical ability. Lots of players could bat the exact same way Afridi does to the same effectiveness or better if they devoted their whole careers to batting like that like he has done. His batting talent is vastly over-rated.

Or the technical ability. Lots of players could bat the exact same way Afridi does to the same effectiveness or better if they devoted their whole careers to batting like that like he has done. His batting talent is vastly over-rated.
no they couldnt or there would be someone who did. u shouldnt be allowed to talk like that on a public forum

thats a disgraceful comment mate. no one has comparible power to the great man. thats why he is one of a kind

Athlai

Not Terrible
I thought it was quite widely acknowledged that he had some of the best hand eye co-ordination in world cricket, which is why his striking of the ball (when he does strike it) is so magnificent. Though his concentration or possibly his temperament meant that he just had to go after everything, and due to sometimes bowlers actually not just serving up pies he often got out.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In the past when a "new" user came up with this nonsense about the God Afridi someone would post a picture of a shop with the word "Bling" or something on it.

I thought it was quite widely acknowledged that he had some of the best hand eye co-ordination in world cricket, which is why his striking of the ball (when he does strike it) is so magnificent. .
It pretty much is. I guess the man who suggested otherwise is just new to the game.

that can be the only explanation i can see for such a lack of understanding

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I thought it was quite widely acknowledged that he had some of the best hand eye co-ordination in world cricket, which is why his striking of the ball (when he does strike it) is so magnificent. Though his concentration or possibly his temperament meant that he just had to go after everything, and due to sometimes bowlers actually not just serving up pies he often got out.
I have no doubt that if many current international batsmen had decided they wanted to bat like Afridi does at a young age, they'd be just as good if not better at it than he is now. His talent is over-stated - he bats like he does because he's not good enough to bat any other way. There's a lot more to being a talented batsman than having good hand-eye co-ordination. Being able to pick which ball is there to hit and which isn't is a huge part of it and it really doesn't have anything to do with intelligence - it's about judgement. That's what he really lacks and it isn't because he's an idiot; it's just because he isn't a very good batsman.

Last edited:
In the past when a "new" user came up with this nonsense about the God Afridi someone would post a picture of a shop with the word "Bling" or something on it.
who called him god.

i dont think it is rite to refer to him as that as there is only 1 god but 1 of his problems is it seems he is a bit into the westernised ideas of bling etc so i agree on that part

Status
Not open for further replies.