• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Kallis South Africa's greatest ever batsman?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Kallis is now averaging 58, with 29 centuries, equal to Bradman. He has scored 4 centuries in his last 4 tests. A great run.

How does he now compare to Pollock and Richards?

haroon510

International 12th Man
Kallis is now averaging 58, with 29 centuries, equal to Bradman. He has scored 4 centuries in his last 4 tests. A great run.

How does he now compare to Pollock and Richards?
pollock i don't know but richards noo way..
kallis lacks that Aggression on his game to be compared to Richards...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's both greatest cricket for SA and greatest batsman.

Fact is he's done more. Yes he had the opportunity to do more, but that's not his fault.

bond21

Banned
Hes probably their best overall cricketer - top class batsman, good bowler, great slips fielder.

One thing i like about him is he doesnt throw his wicket away like so many modern batsman like Gayle and Afridi.

jammay123

State 12th Man
hes scored 29 test hundreds no other sa batsmen as. therfore hes their best. cricket isnt about what could have been its about hard facts and they say kallis is the best

bond21

Banned
no its not.

If Ponting averaged 20 for a series and McGrath averaged 30 for the same series, whos the better batsmen?

If you're a stats geek, you have no choice but to say McGrath is a better batsman.

If you're a cricketer, Ponting is the best

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
no its not.

If Ponting averaged 20 for a series and McGrath averaged 30 for the same series, whos the better batsmen?

If you're a stats geek, you have no choice but to say McGrath is a better batsman.

If you're a cricketer, Ponting is the best
No, if McGrath averaged 30 for the series and Ponting averaged 20, then stats geek or not, McGrath was the better batsman for that series, assuming McGrath didn't average 30 by making scores of 5*, 15*, 5*, 5.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
hes scored 29 test hundreds no other sa batsmen as. therfore hes their best. cricket isnt about what could have been its about hard facts and they say kallis is the best
I've got no problem with that sentiment but the logic is dangerous - he's not the best purely because he's scored more Test centuries than any other SA batsman. By that rationale Ponting is Australia's greatest ever batsman because he's made 33 Test centuries and no other Aussie ever has.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Best (ie, most effective) Test batsman ever? Pretty well beyond doubt IMO.

Very possible Pollock (G) and Richards (B) could have been better had they had the chance, but that's mere conjecture - the fact is, they didn't. Kallis had the chance to be better than them, and took it.

Gets on my nerves the way Dudley Nourse is always forgotten in these debates though. Certainly fit to rank with the two above, and Kallis, in the "up for consideration" stakes.

I don't see Kallis averaging much more than 50 had the standard of bowling not deteriorated in 2001\02 (exactly when Kallis went from good to sensational) but I do still see him having been a fantastic Test batsman.

As for is he South Africa's best-ever cricketer, well, I think that (that he is, of course) is almost beyond question really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
pollock i don't know but richards noo way..
kallis lacks that Aggression on his game to be compared to Richards...
Aggression is not an essential part of being a batsman of the very highest class - it is, however, a by-product of far more of the very best batsmen than not.

In any case, Barry Richards was hardly a strokeplayer-par-extreme, he was just a routine fastish-scorer like Mark Waugh or Damien Martyn (though fairly obviously considerably better than both).