• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would win a test series between NZ and West Indies if play started tomorrow?

Who would win?

• Total voters

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say that New Zealand would still beat the West Indies despite the poor form. I feel that the West Indian fast bowlers lack any sort of consistancy of pace nor do the West Indies have a quality spinner.

They pretty much lack all the components of a successful bowling attack whereas a team like New Zealand have an average (meaning not good and not bad) batting and bowling line up and lack inspiration rather than having an entirely poor unit...

...if that made any sense.

jammay123

State 12th Man
i reckon it would be a good series probably the best of this year. the teams are so bad their lameness would lead to exiting evenly contested matches which we havnt seen enough of recently.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah at full strength and with a proper coach we'd rip 'em. (To sound like a one eyed kiwi)

This team:

Cumming
Papps/How/Somebody please help
Sinclair
Fulton
Fleming
Oram/Styris
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Mills/Gillespie
Bond

Should have the appropriate firepower to win.

jammay123

State 12th Man
yeah but when in the history of cricket have NZ had a full strength team . its never going to happen. just deal with it.

Flem274*

123/5
yeah but when in the history of cricket have NZ had a full strength team . its never going to happen. just deal with it.
The 1980's the early 2000's in Australia and well....the other teams were at full strength but their main issue was they were awful.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah at full strength and with a proper coach we'd rip 'em. (To sound like a one eyed kiwi)
Agree with this but
This team:

Cumming
Papps/How/Somebody please help
Sinclair
Fulton
Fleming
Oram/Styris
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Mills/Gillespie
Bond

Should have the appropriate firepower to win.
surely you'd have Fleming and Styris ahead of Sinclair and Fulton? :blink: And Mills ahead of Gillespie?

Flem274*

123/5
Agree with this but

surely you'd have Fleming and Styris ahead of Sinclair and Fulton? :blink: And Mills ahead of Gillespie?
Fulton is a gun player. He hasn't fired yet in tests yet thanks to being forced to open but he will be a damn good test batsman, mark my words.

And Sinclair has the talent to succeed and now he's finally listening to his coaches and knuckling down and putting efort in.

As for Mills vs Gillespie its too early to tell whos better in tests.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Full strength WI team would be:

Gayle
Ganga
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Samuels
Bravo
Ramdin
Sammy
Taylor
Lawson
Collins

Pretty good there.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would probably have Devon Smith at #3 and drop Sammy TBH, he's had limited experience and doesn't deserve a spot ahead of one of the better batsmen in the West Indies. Also, would Darren Powell not come close to selection? I'd be tempted to have Dave Mohammed there too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Full strength WI team would be:

Gayle
Ganga
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Samuels
Bravo
Ramdin
Sammy
Taylor
Lawson
Collins

Pretty good there.
Baugh > Ramdin for mine.

And what's Lawson been doing of note of late? Honestly haven't followed closely enough to remember with my normal exactness.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fulton is a gun player. He hasn't fired yet in tests yet thanks to being forced to open but he will be a damn good test batsman, mark my words.
Yeah, I've been fairly confident of that since I first came across him. But surely right now Fleming and Styris are ahead of him both in terms of selection and place in the batting-order?
And Sinclair has the talent to succeed and now he's finally listening to his coaches and knuckling down and putting efort in.
He is? :-O

When did he last play a Test though?

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, I've been fairly confident of that since I first came across him. But surely right now Fleming and Styris are ahead of him both in terms of selection and place in the batting-order?

He is? :-O

When did he last play a Test though?
Well Fulton is more of a natural top order batsman than Styris so yeah. Also Fleming is arguably our best player of spin so I put him at 5.

I can't remember where but I did hear that Sinclair had definitely changed his approach a bit. I think it was while the commentators were commentating on his millionth domestic double hundred.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Would probably have Devon Smith at #3 and drop Sammy TBH, he's had limited experience and doesn't deserve a spot ahead of one of the better batsmen in the West Indies. Also, would Darren Powell not come close to selection? I'd be tempted to have Dave Mohammed there too.
Smith has failed too often for me. Yeah it's between Powell and Lawson. West Indies play a spinner?
Powell was gun in the Tests against England.
That he was.
Baugh > Ramdin for mine.

And what's Lawson been doing of note of late? Honestly haven't followed closely enough to remember with my normal exactness.
Agreed about Baugh but he won't get selected if recent series are anything to go by. Lawson was awesome last FC season and should have been selected for the English tour.
Lawson ahead of Collymore and Powell? :blink:
Would probably pick Powell ahead of Lawson if anything, but not Collymore. He's just unlucky re: wickets.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Worth stating again that Ramdin is infinitely superior to Baugh, despite his shortcomings. At least Ramdin can catch.