• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Should Captain England??

Who Should Skipper England in 1 dayers??

• Vaughan

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Trescothick

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Butcher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hussain

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Stewart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anyone but Ronnie Irani

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
It looks like Nasser Hussain might quit captaining England altogether or certainly the one day side after the World Cup though much depends on how England fare. Should that happen soon or in the summer/next winter sometime, who do you think is the new man for the job? More importantly, is Trescothick captain material or should we worry it might affect his batting??

Your thoughts one and all......

Langeveldt

Soutie
The only man is Hussain. If I were the England managment, I would try and use everything to Keep Nass in the job. If not I would rather have Vaughan than Trescothick captaining...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually I'm quite a fan of one of the players you didn't put up. Nick Knight is an intelligent, nice guy and he's a fixture in the team. I'm all for having 2 different captains in the Test and ODI teams. They are 2 totally different games with different players.

CrouchEndWyvern

Cricket Spectator
When Marcus injured his thumb in the C&G match last summer, it was noticeable how much more purposeful Somerset were in the field when Jamie Cox took over. I don't think that Marcus is ready for captaincy at the highest level and I m not onvinced he would ever make a goosd captain. He also needs to concentrate on his batting form before any more pressure is put on him. Vaughan has had a marvellous ear with the bat, and I would not ant to risk his form either by giving him the captaincy too early. n the meantime we have one of the best captains England has had in my lifetime and I think that every effort should be made to encourage Nasser to continue. He has had a tough time over the winter, and has managed marvellously. Let us hope he can bring the World Cup back to England and has a rest and decides that he really does want to carry on captaining the side.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I too think we need to try and persuade Nasser to stay, maybe for another year or two by which time Vaughan might be in a position to cope. It would be a shame to have to burden him with it so soon, though he is the only candidate for me. Trescothick doesn't look like captain material and is having all sorts of problems with his batting just now, Stewart won't be around too long anyway, Butcher still isn't a cert for me and only plays tests anyway....

Anyone but Irani, yeah true!

I wouldn't mind separate captains. It worked well before, and I don't know why they reverted back to one captain. Maybe Vaughan could captain tests and I reckon Knight or even Collingwood could be good in ODIs.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
CrouchEndWyvern said:
When Marcus injured his thumb in the C&G match last summer, it was noticeable how much more purposeful Somerset were in the field when Jamie Cox took over. I don't think that Marcus is ready for captaincy at the highest level and I m not onvinced he would ever make a goosd captain. He also needs to concentrate on his batting form before any more pressure is put on him. Vaughan has had a marvellous ear with the bat, and I would not ant to risk his form either by giving him the captaincy too early. n the meantime we have one of the best captains England has had in my lifetime and I think that every effort should be made to encourage Nasser to continue. He has had a tough time over the winter, and has managed marvellously. Let us hope he can bring the World Cup back to England and has a rest and decides that he really does want to carry on captaining the side.
I could not agree more!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bazza said:
I wouldn't mind separate captains. It worked well before, and I don't know why they reverted back to one captain. Maybe Vaughan could captain tests and I reckon Knight or even Collingwood could be good in ODIs.
What did Adam Hollioake ever do that badly wrong?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Oh after winning the Sharjah tournament he said...

"It was so hot out there, it felt like I was smoking a thousand spliffs"

So they quietly got rid of him, presumably to save face, without anyone really noticing. Aint life great?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
"It was so hot out there, it felt like I was smoking a thousand spliffs"

That's one of the best quotes I've heard in a while :lol: