View Poll Results: Is Steyn the new Allan Donald?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 26.53%
  • No

24 48.98%
  • Virender Sehwag's first-chance average

12 24.49%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Dale Steyn the new Allan Donald?

Is Dale Steyn the new Allan Donald?

Trying for the 3rd time (**** you Mozilla ), and with 39 Test scalps this year thus far at an average of 14 and a s/r of 26, including ripping up New Zealand (who let's face it are not Test standard ATM) with 20 wickets against them, he did bowl with pace and he put Craig Cumming into hospital with a killer bouncer. He took 9 wickets in Pakistan, although I didn't see that series, he did go for a bit of tap runs wise. And obviously there he needs to improve his economy rate in ODIs as in anybodies language going at over 6 is not acceptable (maybe how one-day cricket is going maybe we will be thankful of such mercies eventually), but he has 7 games under his belt so there is no time on his side. He has followed the Donald approach in playing for Warwickshire already.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Let's see him play a bit more cricket first...

With all due respect, running through the NZ batting line up isn't a terribly enormous achievement.

I rate him highly, but he is no where close to Alan Donald. Not yet at least.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    Let's see him play a bit more cricket first...

With all due respect, running through the NZ batting line up isn't a terribly enormous achievement.
    AWTA South Austtralia could give them a run for their money at this rate. And considering I'm more of an optimist and generally not one for hyper-bole either.

Did anybody see him bowl in Pakistan?

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Raw speed I always love watching it

As all the great speed bowlers he must learn to do more, but is very young and unless a serious injury I think he looks a 500+ wicket player
    You know it makes sense.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Raw speed I always love watching it

As all the great speed bowlers he must learn to do more, but is very young and unless a serious injury I think he looks a 500+ wicket player
    I wouldn't class 24 as "very young". He's been on and off the test scene for 3 years now

He's got talent but let's not get carried away.

1. Donald (and Lee and Shoaib and Johnson and Tait) are much quicker than him.

2. Donald did it for years

3. Steyn has had the benefit of bowling on the most pace friendly wickets in the world against lineups that arent too flash against pace

He does however bowl outswing at a fair lick which is never a bad thing

Give him a few more years before he's annointed as a legend

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I've seen him bowl a fair bit, and I am impressed. Quite good pace, the ability to swing the ball and a decent bouncer. Needs to work on his accuracy though, which I don't rate all that highly. The less said about him in ODIs to date the better.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    Slightly off-topic, but still related to Steyn, has anyone heard something about him being selected for the 4th time?

I heard it on the Cricket show from ian Healy and seems like an unfair criticism of Steyn, he's only played 10 or so Test amtches and for such a young person, it is obvious that more often than not he will be the fall guy. Add to that quotas, a certain amount of depth in the fast bowling ranks of SA and incumbents - i don't really see where Healy was going with that comment.

Nope. He needs to improve his accuracy and prove that he can be effective on pitches that aren't as helpful. Looks good for now but he has ways to go before he can be called a world-class bowler, let alone compared to the likes of Donald.
    Last edited by adharcric; 19-11-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but still related to Steyn, has anyone heard something about him being selected for the 4th time?

I heard it on the Cricket show from ian Healy and seems like an unfair criticism of Steyn, he's only played 10 or so Test amtches and for such a young person, it is obvious that more often than not he will be the fall guy. Add to that quotas, a certain amount of depth in the fast bowling ranks of SA and incumbents - i don't really see where Healy was going with that comment.
    Goughy is the best man for that

OT can somebody please edit the title?

To Early to say now.. ask me in a couple of years

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post

Ian Healy is a moron. I wouldn't take too much notice of anything he says that isn't about wicket-keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Ian Healy is a moron. I wouldn't take too much notice of anything he says that isn't about wicket-keeping.
    He does our daily nightly sports news for Nein since Wally Lewis hasn't come back from brain surgery. Lewis > Healy in sports news presenting.

Thanks to the mod for editing the title, the cheque is in the mail
    Last edited by Craig; 19-11-2007 at 10:38 PM.

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Not the biggest fan myself, but what he was saying was so ambiguous, I don't even know what he was suggesting. As far as I can see in regards to Steyn, he's had the typical young faster bowlers' introduction to Test cricket.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information