• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the new Allan Donald?

Is Steyn the new Allan Donald?

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
Trying for the 3rd time (**** you Mozilla :@ ), and with 39 Test scalps this year thus far at an average of 14 and a s/r of 26, including ripping up New Zealand (who let's face it are not Test standard ATM) with 20 wickets against them, he did bowl with pace and he put Craig Cumming into hospital with a killer bouncer. He took 9 wickets in Pakistan, although I didn't see that series, he did go for a bit of tap runs wise. And obviously there he needs to improve his economy rate in ODIs as in anybodies language going at over 6 is not acceptable (maybe how one-day cricket is going maybe we will be thankful of such mercies eventually), but he has 7 games under his belt so there is no time on his side. He has followed the Donald approach in playing for Warwickshire already.

sideshowtim

Banned
Let's see him play a bit more cricket first...

With all due respect, running through the NZ batting line up isn't a terribly enormous achievement.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I rate him highly, but he is no where close to Alan Donald. Not yet at least.

Craig

World Traveller
Let's see him play a bit more cricket first...

With all due respect, running through the NZ batting line up isn't a terribly enormous achievement.
AWTA South Austtralia could give them a run for their money at this rate. And considering I'm more of an optimist and generally not one for hyper-bole either.

Did anybody see him bowl in Pakistan?

archie mac

International Coach
Raw speed I always love watching it:cool:

As all the great speed bowlers he must learn to do more, but is very young and unless a serious injury I think he looks a 500+ wicket player:)

Fiery

Banned
Raw speed I always love watching it:cool:

As all the great speed bowlers he must learn to do more, but is very young and unless a serious injury I think he looks a 500+ wicket player:)
I wouldn't class 24 as "very young". He's been on and off the test scene for 3 years now

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's got talent but let's not get carried away.

1. Donald (and Lee and Shoaib and Johnson and Tait) are much quicker than him.

2. Donald did it for years

3. Steyn has had the benefit of bowling on the most pace friendly wickets in the world against lineups that arent too flash against pace

He does however bowl outswing at a fair lick which is never a bad thing

Give him a few more years before he's annointed as a legend

Perm

I've seen him bowl a fair bit, and I am impressed. Quite good pace, the ability to swing the ball and a decent bouncer. Needs to work on his accuracy though, which I don't rate all that highly. The less said about him in ODIs to date the better.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Slightly off-topic, but still related to Steyn, has anyone heard something about him being selected for the 4th time?

I heard it on the Cricket show from ian Healy and seems like an unfair criticism of Steyn, he's only played 10 or so Test amtches and for such a young person, it is obvious that more often than not he will be the fall guy. Add to that quotas, a certain amount of depth in the fast bowling ranks of SA and incumbents - i don't really see where Healy was going with that comment.

adharcric

International Coach
Nope. He needs to improve his accuracy and prove that he can be effective on pitches that aren't as helpful. Looks good for now but he has ways to go before he can be called a world-class bowler, let alone compared to the likes of Donald.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Slightly off-topic, but still related to Steyn, has anyone heard something about him being selected for the 4th time?

I heard it on the Cricket show from ian Healy and seems like an unfair criticism of Steyn, he's only played 10 or so Test amtches and for such a young person, it is obvious that more often than not he will be the fall guy. Add to that quotas, a certain amount of depth in the fast bowling ranks of SA and incumbents - i don't really see where Healy was going with that comment.
Goughy is the best man for that :)

OT can somebody please edit the title?

Perm

Ian Healy is a moron. I wouldn't take too much notice of anything he says that isn't about wicket-keeping.

Craig

World Traveller
Ian Healy is a moron. I wouldn't take too much notice of anything he says that isn't about wicket-keeping.
He does our daily nightly sports news for Nein since Wally Lewis hasn't come back from brain surgery. Lewis > Healy in sports news presenting.

Thanks to the mod for editing the title, the cheque is in the mail :laugh:

Last edited:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Not the biggest fan myself, but what he was saying was so ambiguous, I don't even know what he was suggesting. As far as I can see in regards to Steyn, he's had the typical young faster bowlers' introduction to Test cricket.

archie mac

International Coach
I wouldn't class 24 as "very young". He's been on and off the test scene for 3 years now
Most fast bowlers don't peak until late 20s early 30s so I think him young for his vocation:)

What a bunch of fence sitters you lot are:-O