• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the new Allan Donald?

Is Steyn the new Allan Donald?

• Total voters

Langeveldt

Soutie
Give him a few years before we start comparing him to God... I'm just impressed that someone from Phalaborwa has managed to get a game from SA.. Rock on, thats more remote than Ntini's cow pat shoes...

JBH001

International Regular
And that's so, so grossly misreprisented. Donald's average against Australia in his first 11 games (ie, excluding those where he was a skeleton of the bowler he'd once been) was 27.85, not as good as against the other sides he faced but still hardly abysmal. Most bowlers have some form of "bogey" team, even Glenn McGrath was less successful against South Africa than he was against anyone else.

Donald had plenty of good games against Australia, taking 7-117 at The SCG in 1993\94, 6-137 at Kingsmead in the same season, 8-96 at Centurion in 1996\97 and 9-133 at The MCG in 1997\98. It's not like he was completely conquered by them, at all. Nor that Australia were even the best batting-line-up of his day.

I know most of that Richard.

You will note in my earlier post, which you quoted, that I said relatively poor record against Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But I just feel that even mentioning it, really, is a poor portrayal of Donald. He didn't shrink into a shadow when Australia were the opponents, there was virtually nothing different about him.

archie mac

International Coach
But I just feel that even mentioning it, really, is a poor portrayal of Donald. He didn't shrink into a shadow when Australia were the opponents, there was virtually nothing different about him.
I do remember once when Donald was here (in Aust) he was driven through the covers for four and then asked his captain for a fielder in that spot.

Ian Chappell said he thought that the difference between a good bowler like Donald and a great bowler like Lillee was that Lillee was always wanting Chappelli to give him another attacking fieldsman and was not worry about being hit for four.:)

Gee I hope I am not mentioning FOT too much like BS on Imran:laugh:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
They're starting to find a balance with the pace bowling, even without Morne Mørkel.

If you look at Steyn and Mørkel, you've got two guys capable of getting it up to 140km/h-plus - then there's Andre Nel, who bowls in the high 130s, and there's Makhaya Ntini and then Jacques Kallis.

The day will come when Mørkel and Steyn open the attack, and that is a helluva prospect[/I]."

http://www.capeargus.co.za/?fSectionId=&fArticleId=vn20071113070157406C149018
Very happy to know that Donald rates Morne Mørkel very highly. I have been very impressed by whatever I have seen of him so far and reckon he could do very well. The problem with the modern fast bowlers is the injury clouds of course. The last time I checked, Mørkel had been injured too. Sigh. Hope it doesn't effect him too much.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
As happy as I am for the South African team, the prospect of Pollock never playing a Test match again can bring a tear to this man's eye.

COME ON!!! POLLOCK IN FOR NEL! LET THE MAN GO OUT WITH SOME DIGNITY!!!

Sorry, but I needed to do that.

Craig

World Traveller
So Malcolm Marshall must of been amongst the rareity of fast bowlers but was not that tall? Wasn't he about 5ft 10'' IIRC?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Malcolm Marshall must of been amongst the rareity of fast bowlers but was not that tall? Wasn't he about 5ft 10'' IIRC?
Yeah, wasn't very tall from what I have seen and read. Awesome bowler, best ever in Tests I reckon.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
5'11, which really is pretty good height. Just short in comparison to his fellow Windies bowlers.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
5'11, which really is pretty good height. Just short in comparison to his fellow Windies bowlers.
As compared to Joel Garner who would of probably have had a successful career in the NBA or AFL if he were Australian. (obviously if he had the relevent skills). Harold Larwood was a small one wasn't he? From what I've read he was.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
MM was 5' 10" max and I'd say an inch shorter.

He played club cricket in Sydney some years ago and I got to know him reasonably well

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I do remember once when Donald was here (in Aust) he was driven through the covers for four and then asked his captain for a fielder in that spot.

Ian Chappell said he thought that the difference between a good bowler like Donald and a great bowler like Lillee was that Lillee was always wanting Chappelli to give him another attacking fieldsman and was not worry about being hit for four.:)

Gee I hope I am not mentioning FOT too much like BS on Imran:laugh:
He who worries too much about attack and not enough about defence is every bit as foolishly-minded as he who worries too much about defence and not enough about attack. The best bowlers can and do always balance to two.

In any case, what does that idiot Chappell know? He should check Donald's record in the subcontinent sometime and compare it to Lillee's. 8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)

funnygirl

State Regular
Allan Donald has the best statistics in the subcontinent barring none.Steyn did well against the Pakistanis as well .But he lacks that punch of Donald (may be he improve that part) that scaring part and aggression .Or that X factor .He is a fine prospect .

White Lightning

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
as has been said destroying the kiwis is not a huge achievement... but someone had to do it.

he's an excellent bowler no doubt... the new allan donald?? give us a few more years just yet but he's got good signs no doubt.