• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best batsman to partner Bradman

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So long as it wasn't stupidly high I'd not mind.

In any case, the question is who you'd most like to see partnering Bradman - hence, by default, one of the batsmen will be a very quick-scoring one.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, was Rolleyesing that those terms were ever used. Says everything that anyone who used them these days would be jumped upon like a sack of potatoes.

Obviously, there are those who'd love to still be able to use them without being jumped upon like a sack of potatoes. 8-) And hence accuse those who've moved things on and outlawed such "casually" race-referential terms of kicking-up a fuss about nothing.
Lol, didn't think it was rolleyes worthy, but you said it so I suppose you can if you want. Bradman was white, Headley was coloured. Fact really. If there was a female batsmen scoring phenomenally heavily at international level then would you take objection to her being called the "Female Ponting" or something similar?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lol, didn't think it was rolleyes worthy, but you said it so I suppose you can if you want. Bradman was white, Headley was coloured. Fact really. If there was a female batsmen scoring phenomenally heavily at international level then would you take objection to her being called the "Female Ponting" or something similar?
AFAIC, all will not be well until no-one even notices what colour someone's skin is. It really doesn't matter other than where cosmetics etc. are concerned.

On the other hand, sports (and many things besides) are divided clearly - and for obvious reasons - into male and female. No-one would want that to cease to be an issue.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marshall, Imran, Hadlee, Donald for mine.

And given one of those was an all-rounder and another a more than capable batsman you could have a fifth one too. :p Would probably go Garner or Ambrose.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I think you'd want someone who'd stick around for 4 sessions with him while the Don compiled a 250, and be very adept at turning the strike over to let Braddles have as much as possible or to help him out if he was ever struggling, plus be a superb runner between wickets to avoid running the great man out. I guess the left hander thing would be a bonus if those criteria are met.
I reckon Michael Hussey the way he's played in the last couple of years.
Bevan springs to mind.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You don't want too strong an attack, two greats like Marshall and Lillee backed up by Derek Pringle and Ian Greig would do nicely.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why not? Bradman and Headley vs Marshall, Imran, Hadlee, Donald or similar would still see plenty of runs scored, though obviously probably not anywhere near as many as they did against the attacks they did face.

Matt79

Global Moderator
By the same token, those four bowlers would probably find their average in the 30s and their S/R way up if they had to consistently bowl to a team with six all-time great batsmen including Bradman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They might (though they might not).

And the likes of Derek Pringle would very probably find their averages up at something like 100. And Bradman and Headley's batting-averages would be well over that if they were facing that sort of bowler EVERY innings.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's an interesting question. What woudl the averages of the all time bowlers and batsman be if they went up against each other. I would say Bradman would go into the low eighties, and most other batsmen would drop from the fifties to the forties while the bowlers would go from the early-mid twenties to early thirties.

Obviously, this all would vary depending on whether modern equipment, pitch, and rules were used, or the things from the earlier part of the century.

neville cardus

International Debutant
That's an interesting question. What woudl the averages of the all time bowlers and batsman be if they went up against each other. I would say Bradman would go into the low eighties, and most other batsmen would drop from the fifties to the forties while the bowlers would go from the early-mid twenties to early thirties.
Obviously, this all would vary depending on whether modern equipment, pitch, and rules were used, or the things from the earlier part of the century.
It is a fascinating debate, but one of which I should rather like to steer clear, given its annoying penchant for bringing in such factors as the natural development of the game and the human body. Doubtless both have developed, but to give them a place in such epoch-spanning arguments as this is only to stagnate discussion and overlook the fact that, by employing them, the older eras are treated unfairly, their limitations used against them.