• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best losing centuries..

krkode

State Captain
Just got knocked into me, so I have to ask you guys...

Which were the best losing centuries that you saw live...on TV or at the ground...so don't gimme knocks from the 1950s (unless your 50+) :P

I was unfortunate enough not to be able to watch Astles 222, so I guess that won't be on my list.

My personal favorites were-

Laxman 167 against Australia in a total of some 230 odd, i think. India got thumped in the match, but it was quite a classy knock.

Tendulkar's 137, Sharjash qualifier :P India needed some 270 to win but 240 to qualify and he almost singlehandedly got India to the qualifier target, but India lost in the end...

Jadeja's 100 vs. Australia 99 World cup. Despite being completely down in the dumps, I thought it was a pretty superb knock against bowlers that had annihilated the rest of the Indians...

(*note: all Indians*) :duh:

Styris' 143 vs. Sri Lanka - quite a knock considering they were almost out of it very early on.

heh, Can't recall anymore...So what are your's? Remember, it must be a losing century :P

Langeveldt

Soutie
Astles 222 was absolutely magnificent, he put on a load with Cairns for the last wicket and things were looking really dicey for England..

Herschelle Gibbs knock against NZ in Joburg was awesome, he didnt deserve to lose that match, and I wont be forgetting Jan Burger and the Namibians for a while! :lol:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Johnston's 137* in the 1999 WC against Australia was an absolute gem of an innings.

Mohammed Azharuddin's knock in Adelaide in 1991 was simply astouding. He'd been woefully out of form for all games previous and he just came out and played his shots. 11 fours in his first 50 I believe.......

Chris Harris's 130 against Australia in the 1996 WC was as good a knock as you'll see. He certainly never played as well before or since then. How could you emulate such a great innings?

Sherwin Campbell played one of the gutsiest innings I'd seen when he scored 113 against Australia in Brisbane in 1996. He was the only WI batsman to put up a fight.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Astle for me (and I'm not 50 for, er, another hour and a half yet).

Funnily enough, for sheer grit and determination, my second-favourite 'lost cause' century was also by a New Zealander - a quite magnificent rearguard action by Bev Congdon back at Trent Bridge in 1973.

New Zealand had been skittled out for 90-odd in the first innings to trail by 150 or so. England pressed on and set the shee sorry black caps about 480 to win. Got close, too. Congdon was well-supported by a statuesque Pollard who also got a ton - I think (I'm sure they just left him out there during the lunch and tea interval, because he scored at less than a run an over and seemed to just want to conserve energy).

Anyway, joking apart, Congdon was superb. They nearly pulled off the impossible - just lost by 38. Under the circumstances, Pollard was pretty remarkable too.

Simon

Michael Vaughan's 177 v Aussies in the most recent ashes series was really something.
hayden in India 2001 was awesome in the losing tests.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I was lucky to see the last part of Astles live @ Jade after my cricket had finished. It was amazing and I really thought he was going to pull off the win for a while.

Simon

i think Vaughans 177 would have to be the best of any that anyone has mentioned as he took the best attack in the world to the cleaners.
none can compare with that.

Cloete

International Captain
yeah agreed. but his other 100's gainst aus when england lost were top class as well.

Cloete

International Captain
yeah true. but i mut say i love watching vaughan vs shirt-pitched bowling. he pulls so well. only he needs to keep it along the ground a bit more.

Cloete

International Captain
nah i like seeing some1 do well vs oz. as long as their country still loses of course :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Two Brian Lara innings, one in the 4th test(I think) against Australia when WI last toured AUS, that was a simply superb innings after strugling woefully in the previous test.....he scored 185.
The other was an ODI century in the same tour, when he also struggled for form but in that innings simply took on ALL the australian team chasing a target and he suddenly literally exploded into form and began playing increadibly when he saw there was a hint of rain in the air, unluckily with 40 odd more runs to win and just after seeing him hit the most amazing flicked six off McGrath the match was stopped and Australia won it through the Duckworth/Lewis method.........till this day I believe WI stood a chance of winning that match had rain not stopped play, that belief may have been further instated by the sight of that breathtaking six....

Bazza

International 12th Man
I think Marc was referring to the Agarkar ton! :rolleyes:

My memory is pretty poor. And obviously I will have a bias towards England because they are the team I see.

Marcus Trescothick's maiden (I think) test ton at Galle. We lost the first test by an innings despite a great knock (122 out of 253) and he got another 57 in the second dig. No other England batsman passed 50 in the match but we won the series in the end.

2nd test v Pakistan 2001. We lost both openers cheaply in reply to 400+. I had to go out when England were getting back into it. Not necessarily the best losing ton but a bizarre match where Vaughan and Thorpe put on a huge partnership, both getting tons but England collapsed. In the second innings we were safely heading for a draw after a Trescothick ton but a series of wickets form no balls saw another collapse and we lost. Despite three tons in the match?

No, after some thought I must agree about Vaughan's 177 v Australia. Lara's knocks I did not see but he made two or three big hundreds against Australia in losing causes if you go back about 4-5 years. He was carrying West Indian batting then and did a damn good job too!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Actually, only one Lara ton was in a losing effort in the last Aussie tour to WI. He scored a blazingly fast 100 in the 4th Test but we still lost.

In the second Test, he scored 213 (I think) and WI won by 10 wickets. In the 3rd Test he scored the greatest Test innings I have ever seen....153* to single handedly win the game by 1 wicket for the WI.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a shame as it was a lovely innings (Lara's 100) but the problem was that the WIndies were on the verge of loosing, they wouldn't be able to get the runs to win, the target was too high and they really needed to try and draw the game, instead Lara comes out, blazes a 100 at more than a run a ball and it's put down as a nice, if pointless cameo.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yes Liam but didn't he also get one or two great innings in Australia last time you went there?