Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best losing centuries..

Best losing centuries..

Just got knocked into me, so I have to ask you guys...

Which were the best losing centuries that you saw live...on TV or at the ground...so don't gimme knocks from the 1950s (unless your 50+) :P

I was unfortunate enough not to be able to watch Astles 222, so I guess that won't be on my list.

My personal favorites were-

Laxman 167 against Australia in a total of some 230 odd, i think. India got thumped in the match, but it was quite a classy knock.

Tendulkar's 137, Sharjash qualifier :P India needed some 270 to win but 240 to qualify and he almost singlehandedly got India to the qualifier target, but India lost in the end...

Jadeja's 100 vs. Australia 99 World cup. Despite being completely down in the dumps, I thought it was a pretty superb knock against bowlers that had annihilated the rest of the Indians...

(*note: all Indians*) :duh:

Styris' 143 vs. Sri Lanka - quite a knock considering they were almost out of it very early on.

heh, Can't recall anymore...So what are your's? Remember, it must be a losing century :P

Pinball Champion!
    Astles 222 was absolutely magnificent, he put on a load with Cairns for the last wicket and things were looking really dicey for England..

Herschelle Gibbs knock against NZ in Joburg was awesome, he didnt deserve to lose that match, and I wont be forgetting Jan Burger and the Namibians for a while!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Neil Johnston's 137* in the 1999 WC against Australia was an absolute gem of an innings.

Mohammed Azharuddin's knock in Adelaide in 1991 was simply astouding. He'd been woefully out of form for all games previous and he just came out and played his shots. 11 fours in his first 50 I believe.......

Chris Harris's 130 against Australia in the 1996 WC was as good a knock as you'll see. He certainly never played as well before or since then. How could you emulate such a great innings?

Sherwin Campbell played one of the gutsiest innings I'd seen when he scored 113 against Australia in Brisbane in 1996. He was the only WI batsman to put up a fight.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Astle for me (and I'm not 50 for, er, another hour and a half yet).

Funnily enough, for sheer grit and determination, my second-favourite 'lost cause' century was also by a New Zealander - a quite magnificent rearguard action by Bev Congdon back at Trent Bridge in 1973.

New Zealand had been skittled out for 90-odd in the first innings to trail by 150 or so. England pressed on and set the shee sorry black caps about 480 to win. Got close, too. Congdon was well-supported by a statuesque Pollard who also got a ton - I think (I'm sure they just left him out there during the lunch and tea interval, because he scored at less than a run an over and seemed to just want to conserve energy).

Anyway, joking apart, Congdon was superb. They nearly pulled off the impossible - just lost by 38. Under the circumstances, Pollard was pretty remarkable too.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Only one for me, Lords 2002.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Originally posted by marc71178
    Only one for me, Lords 2002.
    what, who, when, why, how much?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Michael Vaughan's 177 v Aussies in the most recent ashes series was really something.
    hayden in India 2001 was awesome in the losing tests.

Rik
    Yeah I've got that on highlights on Video, stunning innings.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

State Vice-Captain
    I was lucky to see the last part of Astles live @ Jade after my cricket had finished. It was amazing and I really thought he was going to pull off the win for a while.

i think Vaughans 177 would have to be the best of any that anyone has mentioned as he took the best attack in the world to the cleaners.
    none can compare with that.

yeah agreed. but his other 100's gainst aus when england lost were top class as well.
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

they were good, but his 177 was something else!

yeah true. but i mut say i love watching vaughan vs shirt-pitched bowling. he pulls so well. only he needs to keep it along the ground a bit more.

i think he needs to get out a bit more vs australia :P

nah i like seeing some1 do well vs oz. as long as their country still loses of course

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information