• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Long term bets..

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hughes averages around 50 still though doesn't he? And Southee probably will get close to that minus 30 average eventually. Pretty knee jerk picks there from you though.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hughes averages around 50 still though doesn't he? And Southee probably will get close to that minus 30 average eventually. Pretty knee jerk picks there from you though.
Yeah, it'll go down once he becomes a regular again though :p

Southee's bowled tripe for you guys, not sure whether it'll go down towards 30. Probably end up averaging around it.

Hopefully Amir doesn't get banned for life, he'll have a chance of averaging <25 then. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'll put this one.

I've been of the opinion for a while that Ricky Ponting will not catch Sachin Tendulkar in a total tally of test runs.

Wish there was this 3 years ago, because I remember a few people (Marc in particular, who is no longer around) saying that when Sachin was going through his trough, he would never catch Lara.

I also believe Kallis will eventually take the mantle, but am less confident to 'bet' on that.
NO. He will not catch Sachin. I am wiling to take a bet on that.
We're on.

Disregarding the minnow scores, I believe Ponting will overtake Sachin. SJS and Jono think otherwise.
Reckon you're in some strife Evermind.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Virat Kohli will average lower than 45 in Test cricket after 10 matches and will get pwned in seam friendly conditions.

Suresh Raina will maintain a 55+ average for the next few years and end up with 8000+ runs at 50+ overall.

Sehwag will score 200+ runs in the SA series.

Lasith Malinga and Zaheer Khan will average under 25 with the ball for the next three years(not reffering to overall average)

Teja.

Global Moderator
Also,

Steve Smith will never average under 35 as a bowler or over 45 as a batsman after 10 test matches.

Morne Morkel will never average under 28 as a bowler.

Broad and Sharma will never average below 30 as bowlers.

Flem274*

123/5
Perm on Steyn and PEWS on McCullum earlier this thread made me grin.

-Taylor to average >45 in test cricket
-Ryder to average >45 in test cricket
-Vettori to finish with a batting average of 35 or higher
-Jeet Raval to be our next decent test opener
-Tim McIntosh to remain in the side for at least two more years

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also,

Steve Smith will never average under 35 as a bowler or over 45 as a batsman after 10 test matches.

Morne Morkel will never average under 28 as a bowler.

Broad and Sharma will never average below 30 as bowlers.
Just for clarification here; you're saying that he'll never average under 35 at any time, and that after 10 Tests, his batting average will be under 45? Would take that bet re: the batting.

And I hate to inform you, but he already does average under 35 as a Test bowler :p

Teja.

Global Moderator
Just for clarification here; you're saying that he'll never average under 35 at any time, and that after 10 Tests, his batting average will be under 45? Would take that bet re: the batting.

And I hate to inform you, but he already does average under 35 as a Test bowler :p
I meant his batting average will never hit 45 and his bowling average will never go under 35 after he plays his 10th test, using it is the point of beginning for the bet.

Howsie

International Captain
-Ryder to average >45 in test cricket
-Vettori to finish with a batting average of 35 or higher
Hmmm, I'd definitely take these two. Ryder's the type of batsmen bowlers will work out rather quickly (if they haven't already). He has enough talent to do well enough in international cricket but he wont average anymore then 40-43 imo. I can't see Vettori pushing that average up over 35 either, he'd need to score rather heavily for at least two-three more years for that to happen and I just think he's due for a form slump with the bat.

Howsie

International Captain
- Kane Williamson will captain New Zealand before his 25th birthday, he'll also go on to break Martin Crowe's record for the most test centuries scored by a New Zealander.
- Tim Southee will be a top five test bowler by his 26th birthday.
- Ben Hilfenhaus to be test cricket's leading wicket taker from 2011 - 2013
- Shane Watson will not score more then ten test match 100's.
- Fidel Edwards will finish his test career with less then 150 wickets.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Hmmm, I'd definitely take these two. Ryder's the type of batsmen bowlers will work out rather quickly (if they haven't already). He has enough talent to do well enough in international cricket but he wont average anymore then 40-43 imo. I can't see Vettori pushing that average up over 35 either, he'd need to score rather heavily for at least two-three more years for that to happen and I just think he's due for a form slump with the bat.
Ryder will be all right I reckon as long as we don't have any genius ideas and make him open or something. His technique is nice and simple and he has a fantastic eye. Batting down at number five will really suit him.

Vettori is a big call, but as long as he continues to bat six/seven he'll get more opportunities to make a big score rather than get to 40 and having to start slogging because Chris Martin is in.

Surprised you didn't take me on my McIntosh bet tbh.

- Kane Williamson will captain New Zealand before his 25th birthday, he'll also go on to break Martin Crowe's record for the most test centuries scored by a New Zealander.
- Tim Southee will be a top five test bowler by his 26th birthday.
- Ben Hilfenhaus to be test cricket's leading wicket taker from 2011 - 2013
- Shane Watson will not score more then ten test match 100's.
- Fidel Edwards will finish his test career with less then 150 wickets.
I'll take that, because I think the record will be Taylor or possibly Ryder's, not Crowe's, by the time Williamson is eyeing it up. Also willing to bet Taylor will inherit the captaincy in a few years once Vettori bows out, and they'll give him a fair crack. Though if you mean Taylor will miss a game and Williamson will step up from vice skipper, then that is quite possible.