• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Long term bets..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Because he's just an average bowler. Can tear through sides when conditions suit and he is in good rhythm, but up against a decent batting lineup I feel as though he'll get hammered. Definitely not sub-25 material. Probably 27 or 28.
When the conditions don’t suit him…

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/299004.html

Also took a five wicket haul in Sri Lanka, a series where Shaun Pollock was reduced to bowling off spin…

And apparently these boys can bat. Steyn had also just returned from missing the second test with a thigh strain and was bowling at only 135kph.

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/249217.html

Calling him average is extreme underestimation of his ability and if he did finish his career with a 27 bowling average that wouldn’t be the definition of an average cricketer, merely a very good one.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I didn't mean average in a bad way, but I don't think he's as good as Makhaya Ntini, Brett Lee or Chaminda Vaas. All of whom average more than 27.

I think he has potential, but I'd like to see him develop a bit more accuracy.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I didn't mean average in a bad way, but I don't think he's as good as Makhaya Ntini, Brett Lee or Chaminda Vaas. All of whom average more than 27.

I think he has potential, but I'd like to see him develop a bit more accuracy.
I think he'll be known as much much better than all three of the bowlers you've named by the end of his career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Steyn has more weapons and variety than Ntini, more natural ability than Vaas and more brains at a younger age than Lee.

He'll almost definitely be better than all 3 barring serious injury IMO.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I wanna join in for Associate predictions

TM Odoyo, and Hiren Varaiya to snag 200 OD wickets each
Eoin Morgan to score 2500 OD runs

more to come later

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Great work Yuvraj with a brilliant 169.

If he makes 81 next innings his average will be exactly 40 in which case I would lose, cause I said over 40.00, so 82 next innings, or a nice not out!

Hope Cook gets amongst it. I dunno why I bet on Cook, it's not as though I want him to do well. Hopefully Smith does worse though.

Fiery

Banned
Personally, I don't think McCullum is that talented as a batsman at all. As I said in the other thread, he creates the illusion of talent by attempting lots of shots, often off good balls. It usually causes his downfall but on the odd occassion it comes off, he looks great. It's nothing that any batsman couldn't do if he actually thought it would be a good idea, which it isn't.
Your comments on McCullum's knock last night please Prince?

Perm

Code:
- Chris Martin to make a test match 10
Won't happen. Can't get bat on anything other than the spinners, and when he does he can only defend.
:-O :laugh:

And to think, I was there to see it.

Perm

Might have to review my thoughts on Dale Steyn though, as I've seen a fair bit more of him now. I was a bit harsh with my earlier assessment, but I'd still like to see how he goes against Australia and also on some flatter pitches.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Might have to review my thoughts on Dale Steyn though, as I've seen a fair bit more of him now. I was a bit harsh with my earlier assessment, but I'd still like to see how he goes against Australia and also on some flatter pitches.
Yeah, I think Australia could get hold of him in Australia - he does tend to spray it a bit when he's off his game, and he doesn't react the best when he's attacked. I don't think he'll have too many issues on flatter pitches against other teams though.

Perm

Yeah, I think Australia could get hold of him in Australia - he does tend to spray it a bit when he's off his game, and he doesn't react the best when he's attacked. I don't think he'll have too many issues on flatter pitches against other teams though.
I still don't think he's a sub-25 average bowler though. He hasn't played the best team in the world, and averages about 30 away from home. To date, he has only really performed consistently well at home, and feasted on some limp New Zealand batting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Johnson robbed of a 100 was the best thing about this test.

Gun batsmen.
Regretting making that bet now, NUF? :p

The only thing that could stand in Johnson's way of scoring a test ton is his bowling. If he keeps his place in the team, it will come. Mark my words.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Regretting making that bet now, NUF? :p

The only thing that could stand in Johnson's way of scoring a test ton is his bowling. If he keeps his place in the team, it will come. Mark my words.
I've marked your words tbh.

I suppose if Pathan has made a century Johnson could, but.. he still needs the right conditions and needs a batsmen you can handle staying in his crease.