• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Long term bets..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Do we really think the frequency of test matches are going to increase?
No IMO. Whether we like it or not, Twenty20 will have to fit into the schedule already, and we're starting to see the effects of playing so many games as it is. I actually think the frequency will decrease.

gwo

U19 Debutant
I'd say almost definitely not, but he could conceivably play 160+ Tests which could get him to 15000 runs.
Fair nuff.

If he gets as good as Haydos, he'll score about 86 runs a test..meaning he needs to play about 175 test matches.

At the rate of games he is playing annually (12) he needs to play about 14.6 years making him 36 the time he retires.

Unlikely.

At the rate he is currently scoring, about 79 runs a test he needs to play about 190 test matches. At this rate of games, he needs to play about 15.8 years making him over 37 the time he retired.

Unlikelier.

Just my point of view.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do we really think the frequency of test matches are going to increase?
No IMO. Whether we like it or not, Twenty20 will have to fit into the schedule already, and we're starting to see the effects of playing so many games as it is. I actually think the frequency will decrease.
As Prince said, I don't think we will see a great deal more Test cricket than we have in the last 10 years or so. With the emergence of Twenty20 and some cricket boards reliant on ODI profits, then I'd hazard a guess and say we may see even less Test cricket and more limited overs stuff.

pasag

RTDAS
Thing with Cook is if he doesn't play many ODIs he can go on for ages in Test cricket, however with the English media and climate I'd be surprised if anyone could last that long. Can wear even the strongest down. Wont make 15000.

Last edited:

Perm

Jeetan Patel 150+ ODI Wickets

McCullum ODI ton.
If the Black Cap selectors realise that Jeetan Patel is our third best ODI bowler and play him more often, then he's in with a good chance. Certainly a quality off-spinner, but selection will be the key.

I'd say that McCullum isn't a chance in hell to score an ODI ton, but in recent times when Jacob Oram, Dwayne Bravo and Justin Kemp have all notched up a century lately, then it's not completely out of the question.

Athlai

Not Terrible
If the Black Cap selectors realise that Jeetan Patel is our third best ODI bowler and play him more often, then he's in with a good chance. Certainly a quality off-spinner, but selection will be the key.

I'd say that McCullum isn't a chance in hell to score an ODI ton, but in recent times when Jacob Oram, Dwayne Bravo and Justin Kemp have all notched up a century lately, then it's not completely out of the question.
I think McCullum will be given ample opportunity under Bracewell to score one. Unwisely being constantly put up the order he's bound to eventually hit one. A very talented batsman, who just needs to calm down at the crease IMO, yet I have no real problems with the way he plays if stuck in his rightful place down the order.

Jeeves deserves the wickets.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Personally, I don't think McCullum is that talented as a batsman at all. As I said in the other thread, he creates the illusion of talent by attempting lots of shots, often off good balls. It usually causes his downfall but on the odd occassion it comes off, he looks great. It's nothing that any batsman couldn't do if he actually thought it would be a good idea, which it isn't.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Personally, I don't think McCullum is that talented as a batsman at all. As I said in the other thread, he creates the illusion of talent by attempting lots of shots, often off good balls. It usually causes his downfall but on the odd occassion it comes off, he looks great. It's nothing that any batsman couldn't do if he actually thought it would be a good idea, which it isn't.
But he can play all the shots that's the thing. Just uses them wrong, eventually I think he'll get lucky and hit himself a ton.

Perm

I think McCullum will be given ample opportunity under Bracewell to score one. Unwisely being constantly put up the order he's bound to eventually hit one. A very talented batsman, who just needs to calm down at the crease IMO, yet I have no real problems with the way he plays if stuck in his rightful place down the order.
He'll be given opportunity up the order, but I doubt he's good enough to concentrate and keep his cool for long enough to score a century. Talented no doubt, but doesn't possess the mental aspect of batsmanship.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He'll be given opportunity up the order, but I doubt he's good enough to concentrate and keep his cool for long enough to score a century. Talented no doubt, but doesn't possess the mental aspect of batsmanship.
We are playing Bangladesh soon... ;)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But he can play all the shots that's the thing. Just uses them wrong, eventually I think he'll get lucky and hit himself a ton.
My point is that virtually every batsman can play all the shots. They just choose not to, because it's not the best idea to do so, especially if you aren't particularly good at them - like McCullum. The fact that he uses them wrongly actually makes him look better than he is, IMO. It's not his downfall; it's actually his only way of fooling people into thinking he should be persisted with, deliberate or not.

Now, his wicket keeping is good and is batting is useful enough if he bats at around #8. But he most certainly is not a good batsman IMO.

Perm

Plenty of doubt from where I stand. Obviously he's more talented than your average person, but I don't think he's any more talented than your average first grade club cricket batsman.
Have you seen some of his ODI knocks? Especially against Australia.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I do realise he is not a good batsman but I think he has a lot of games to come, and eventually a century will probably come his way. albeit from a side thats not Test quality.

His 86 off 91 against Bracken, Tait, Johnson, Watson and Hogg I think is testament that he can get the runs on his day. Not the best attack in the world yet certainly better looking than Rasel, Mortaza and Razzak. (Though I have begun to rate Rasel and Mortaza very highly, Razzak's always been up there for me.)

Perm

Yes, I have. I stand by my opinion.
Fair enough then. I still think McCullum is talented, at least with the shots he has at his disposal and other factors in his batting (big hitting, running between the wickets, manipulating the strike) but as I said, the mental aspect of his batting is lacking. Shot selection being the main issue, with concentration not too far behind.