• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Long term bets..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'll offer this one up, Stuart Broad will not take Anderson's record of most Test wickets by an England bowler.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll offer this one up, Stuart Broad will not take Anderson's record of most Test wickets by an England bowler.
All depends how long Anderson goes for. Jimmy suddenly retires this summer and it will be 2 years till Broad is past him, Jimmy goes on for 2 or 3 more years and the chances of Broad going long enough to pass him recede as quickly as Trott's hair did.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I agree with Furball, a seam bowler getting 450+ wickets is such a rarity that you can't really expect it to be overtaken by the very next guy. Broad is more injury prone than Anderson too so I don't really expect him to play on all that longer.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
All depends how long Anderson goes for. Jimmy suddenly retires this summer and it will be 2 years till Broad is past him, Jimmy goes on for 2 or 3 more years and the chances of Broad going long enough to pass him recede as quickly as Trott's hair did.
If Anderson were to suddenly retire today, Broad would need to take an additional 107 wickets to overhaul him. Broad's last 27 Tests going back to the start of the India series have netted him exactly 107 wickets. A further 27 Tests takes us until the middle of the India series in 2018, I don't think it's anywhere near guaranteed that Broad stays fit enough to do that given his injury history. And although you can never look at one player's injury record and extrapolate it to another, I don't think it's a coincidence that as he's now progressed into his mid 30s Anderson's started to suffer from injuries more regularly and Broad is now about to enter that phase himself.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Within 2 years you will see Steve Smith picked in the first round of most drafts and will be in most people's All-time Australian XI

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Within 2 years you will see Steve Smith picked in the first round of most drafts and will be in most people's All-time Australian XI
Both of those criteria are extremely objective anyway, and there's an insane amount of talent available for an all-time Australian XI. When a guy like Allan Border can be justifiably left out then Smith will need years of stellar performances before he can be picked in that side.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Even if he were that good, people take a long, long time to adjust to the idea that current players are as good as those from a generation ago. Many never manage it

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's just how I feel, I reckon once he has 60+ tests under his belt and is still averaging around 60 (which is what I'm predicting) you'll see him elevated to a higher status IMO

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's just how I feel, I reckon once he has 60+ tests under his belt and is still averaging around 60 (which is what I'm predicting) you'll see him elevated to a higher status IMO
Oh if he keeps up a level of performance then he'll be in the discussion. But he'll need to be good for longer than a couple more years given the competition he's up against.

Ponting averaged 60 after 107 Tests after all.